Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Sep 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3143946)   #276
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rebellion was only 2 seconds off of the fastest lap of the race.

Is it next year that the privateer LMP1s are given more horsepower with bigger restrictors?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3143948)   #277
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I also find it strange that even Toyota had issues with double stinting their tires. It seems that Audi didn't even really try to, knowing that the heat would be killing everyone's tires after a little more than a stint. But I find it very strange that even Toyota had so many issues with double stinting tires, so either the heat and/or Bahrain's track surface was pretty brutal on tires. The #2 Audi also had rear brake issues that killed their LR tire early in the race, and that, along with light issues, cost them a shot at the #1.

But the biggest surprise is that Toyota did run a stint that was only 19 laps long, and the reason was tires, not fuel. Did the tires go bad quickly in that stint, or was it a puncture?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 01:09 (Ref:3143949)   #278
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
But the biggest surprise is that Toyota did run a stint that was only 19 laps long, and the reason was tires, not fuel. Did the tires go bad quickly in that stint, or was it a puncture?
I believe they tried double stinting the tires and they only lasted 19 laps on the second stint.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 01:26 (Ref:3143955)   #279
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
^That's what it was, tire life was falling off too quickly on the second stint so they pit and took them off.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3143970)   #280
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well Badger was half right about his predictions on chat during the race

Well done to AF Corse!

**sits back and waits for Larbre to get excluded for being French**
Old 30 Sep 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3143992)   #281
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Driver fatigue was another important reason why there were very few double stints. Lotterer drove two consecutive stints with new tyres, but he got completely exhausted and lost concentration.

It seems to me that the pace of Lapierre was not falling that much during his second stint.

Lapierre was regularly doing 1:48s during his first stint. At the beginning of the second stint he mainly did 1:49s and at the end he started doing 1:50s. However, at that stage of the race the Audi #1 and #2 were also doing 1:49s and 1:50s.

Toyota gained 30 seconds in the pits by not taking new tyres. So they could afford losing 1-2 seconds per lap for a few more laps. That would still have meant an overall gain.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 05:27 (Ref:3143993)   #282
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Driver fatigue was another important reason why there were very few double stints. Lotterer drove two consecutive stints with new tyres, but he got completely exhausted and lost concentration.
You're right, driver fatigue did play a part as well due to the high temperatures. I do remember Hindy mentioning that the temperature in the cockpit can only be 7 degrees hotter than track temperature. What happens if a car can't cool the driver? Does it get disqualified?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 05:39 (Ref:3144000)   #283
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
7 degrees higher than ambient temperature, not track temperature.
Quote:
Maintain the temperature around the driver when the car is in motion:
  1. at 32°C maximum when the external temperature (*) is less than or equal to 25°C,
  2. at a temperature less than or equal to external temperature + 7°C (*) if it is above 25°C;
Get the temperature back down to the value defined above (case 1 or 2) in 8 minutes maximum after a car stop.

(*) The external temperature will be measured in the shade and out of the wind. This temperature will be displayed near the pit lane.
The penalties are the same as other infringements.
Quote:
In any case,
  1. In case of non-observance of flags and/or unsporting conduct during practice, cancellation of the times since the start of the session up to the time of the infringement.
  2. During the race, in case of:
    • a jumped start,
    • practice starts during the formation lap,
    • non-observance of the imposed distances during the formation lap preceding a start,
    • overtaking on the formation lap preceding the rolling start or under the safety car,
    • non-observance of flags,
    • unsporting conduct,
    • exceeding the noise level or the temperature inside the cockpit:
1st excess noted: Stop and Go until return to the regulatory norm,
2nd excess noted: Stop and Go until return to the regulatory norm + 2 minutes,
3rd excess noted: at the Stewards’ discretion (exclusion possible).
Old 30 Sep 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3144067)   #284
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beretta has been excluded from the race for contact with #41, which resulted in #41 hitting the barrier.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3144069)   #285
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay.. Ferrari GT + LMP =
Old 30 Sep 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3144168)   #286
veloce14
Rookie

veloce14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The day after the race at Rebellion, packing for Japan and Petit !
http://www.facebook.com/rebellionracing
Old 30 Sep 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3144175)   #287
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce14 View Post
The day after the race at Rebellion, packing for Japan and Petit !
http://www.facebook.com/rebellionracing
They have a very busy schedule ahead of them! One car going to Japan, one to the US, and another to England.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3144182)   #288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A few pics, more to follow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40981912@N03/
Old 2 Oct 2012, 06:23 (Ref:3145022)   #289
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has the race been uploaded anywhere? Not even the usual people on youtube seem to have it.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3145438)   #290
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
In http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...h-bahrain-wec/ McNish explains how tough the race was.
Quote:
We knew it was going to be a tough race, especially for Tom and I, with running two drivers. But I have to say that it was certainly tougher than we expected.

I don't think I have ever, in my life, drank as much, and sweated as much through the course of one race. When I got out of the car from the first stint, I had sweated consistently until the race finished. I must have drank 10 or 12 liters of fluid. It was really, really tough in that respect.

Some drivers went off to the medical center to have infusions. It was certainly one of those hard ones, but with the race coming up in Austin, Texas in 2013, we can probably think of more of the same!
Old 3 Oct 2012, 02:11 (Ref:3145490)   #291
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Has the race been uploaded anywhere? Not even the usual people on youtube seem to have it.
This would be most appreciated!
Old 3 Oct 2012, 05:43 (Ref:3145539)   #292
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...h-bahrain-wec/ McNish explains how tough the race was.
Although it sounds extreme, these races are good, as it forces the manufactures to consider Air conditioning with the cost of a little power, to minimize the wear on the drivers and the risk of driver mistakes.

Hopefully this happens before regulation forces them to do it.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 05:48 (Ref:3145541)   #293
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sympathise with the drivers. Just walking around was enough to induce large quantities of perspiration. However it was also quite humid which didn't help. Next year's race will be in November(?) when the temperatures drop to a mild 29C.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3145586)   #294
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's not much cooler! Pretty constant in those parts.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3145620)   #295
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was around 38c on Friday. Mid "summer" it goes to 50c so I'd say it is quite a bit cooler. Significantly it is also much less humid.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3145630)   #296
TF110
Veteran

United States
Still above 80 degrees Fahrenheit! Even if cooler. Quite hot but not scorching. Humidity is a factor too. I've dealt with that before.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3145633)   #297
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I guess the point is that if you are acclimatized then 29c is no issue. The drivers will not have that luxury, I guess.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3145781)   #298
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I guess the point is that if you are acclimatized then 29c is no issue. The drivers will not have that luxury, I guess.
Maybe but they dont live in Siberia. It is pretty warm in Monaco for most of the Summer
Old 3 Oct 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3145790)   #299
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Maybe but they dont live in Siberia. It is pretty warm in Monaco for most of the Summer
Tom lives mostly in Denmark, and it's NOT warm here! - max 29 Celsius.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3145791)   #300
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol,

I've lived in Siberia and it can get quite warm there too!