Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Aug 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2278110)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[BTCC] Round 9 - Silverstone, 31st Aug 2008

Interesting qualifying session just finished; Plato heads a SEAT 1-2 but Giovanardi's down in 11th, so there may be hope for spicing up the title race yet. Kane, Jelley and Vaulkhard get their best qualifying results in 6th, 7th and 8th respectively.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2278129)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks very interesting in the middle of the pack. Some (usually) very quick drivers outside the top ten, watch for who can make the most of overtaking.

I hope the TV coverage concentrates here rather than on the bore-fest that is SEAT at present.

11 1 Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall Vectra 1m01.200s 18 +0.873s 96.41mph
12 21 I Adam Jones SEAT Leon 1m01.280s 21 +0.953s 96.28mph
13 77 I Mike Jordan Honda Integra 1m01.354s 22 +1m027s 96.16mph
14 7 I Mat Jackson BMW 320si E90 1m01.361s 21 +1m034s 96.15mph
15 52 Gordon Shedden Honda Civic 1m01.378s 14 +1m051s 96.13mph
16 25 I Robert Collard BMW 320si E90 1m01.389s 18 +1m062s 96.11mph
Old 30 Aug 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2278136)   #3
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having Fab-Gio starting in 11th is going to give a cracking first race to see him try and charge up the top ten.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2278208)   #4
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting qualiy, good job by turkington who should lead into turn 1 and nice to see Jelley able to help his team mate for the first time in holding back Jackson when he catches him.

Gio though will play it save and whilst his team mates are ahead expect them to drop back if required to protect him.

Good job by Kane as well, Collard really up against it back at the rough end.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2278318)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Collard is well-suited to the 'rough end' of the grid. Things are usually rough where he is anyway. Nice to see Jelley and Kane on the pace though. Great run for Vaulkhard - if only Allison was there too.

I don't think Plato can save the championship now, but hopefully he can at least take it to the final round. It feels too early for such a big championship to be finishing, and unfortunately most of the big championships are a bit one-sided this year.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2278356)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't think Plato can save the championship now, but hopefully he can at least take it to the final round. It feels too early for such a big championship to be finishing, and unfortunately most of the big championships are a bit one-sided this year.
With Gio starting down in 11th it could be interesting. Fab has been so consistent this year because he's qualified well and kept out of that mid-pack area where crashes tend to happen. If he gets caught up in a first race incident and starts towards the back in the 2nd (as has happened to Plato many times) then Plato could yet take it to the wire. (His engine will probably expire though, but wishful thinking?)
Old 31 Aug 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2278758)   #7
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks lovely and wet

Giovanardi was a touch forceful in the second race
Old 31 Aug 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2278777)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Gio did anything out of the ordinary that others wouldn't dish out. He just needs to watch for Turner coming from the back in Race 3 where he starts 10th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide

I agree, strangely we now have the prospect if Gio outscores Plato by 10 pts in Race 3 he is champion. Even if Gio DNF's now and Plato win's it's going to be 27 pts which will be unrealistic to claw back at Brands. A bit of an anti-climax to this year I feel.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2278812)   #9
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the Seats to hard on there tyres for 22 laps of the Silverstone National circuit
Old 31 Aug 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2278837)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
Are the Seats to hard on there tyres for 22 laps of the Silverstone National circuit
Errrr.... On a drying track - Yes
Old 31 Aug 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2278855)   #11
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How does Turner keep any seat in BTCC, let alone one of the best?

Does he pay or is he paid for by Vauxhall?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2278878)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST
How does Turner keep any seat in BTCC, let alone one of the best?

Does he pay or is he paid for by Vauxhall?
This season he has probably been the driver beset with the worst luck of any.

He has proven his quality in GT racing, repeating his success this year at Le Mans. He has also shown his pace on many occasions in BTCC, but he will always appear to be 'off the pace' in a team that is geared so much towards the other driver. Turner has spent the whole season acting as rear-gunner for Plato.
Given the prime seat for SEAT, I feel that he would be challenging for the title himself.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2278881)   #13
BtccRob08
Rookie

BtccRob08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jones in for Turner next year with a paid drive is what I reckon. Or perhaps Seat run 3 cars? Great drive by Jones in race 3. Lets hope Seat do something with there car for next year though. Go back to the petrol is what I say.

Gio was a bit out of order in my opinion, with both Turner and Jackson.

Micky Doyle drove well yet again, to finish 8th in race 3.

All in all, a good days racing.

P.S Anyone know how Stephen Jelley dislocated his shoulder?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2278882)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccRob08
Jones in for Turner next year with a paid drive is what I reckon. Or perhaps Seat run 3 cars? Great drive by Jones in race 3. Lets hope Seat do something with there car for next year though. Go back to the petrol is what I say.

Gio was a bit out of order in my opinion, with both Turner and Jackson.

Micky Doyle drove well yet again, to finish 8th in race 3.

All in all, a good days racing.

Isn't there a BTCC-Le Mans clash next season, so it's unlikely Turner would do the full year anyway?

I only saw Jelley's retirement from race 2 briefly, but it just looked like he beached his car in the gravel.
edit: he was pushed off into the gravel, and the contact jarred the steering wheel suddenly , injuring his wrist and shoulder.

Last edited by cos; 31 Aug 2008 at 18:48.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2278887)   #15
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone know how Stephen Jelley dislocated his shoulder?
When Turner and Doyle come together with each other in Race two, Stephen Jelly spun into the wall at Luffeld. The Doctors car was dispatched onto the track as well as the Safety Car.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2278893)   #16
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there, but didn't see much else on that incedent. I didn't even know it was a dislocation unitl I came to this thread. the TV obviously didn't get much else.

At least Jackson got something good out of Race 3 for his troubles He did very well, and the loudest cheers from Woodcote A and B at the end of races 2 and 3 were for him, and him alone. I agree that Gio was a little harsh
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2278895)   #17
Helmpflicht99
Rookie

Germany
near Bremen
Helmpflicht99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many spectators were at the Track ???
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2278896)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NendoShisu
When Turner and Doyle come together with each other in Race two, Stephen Jelly spun into the wall at Luffeld. The Doctors car was dispatched onto the track as well as the Safety Car.
Turner/Doyle's accident happened after Jelley's, not the other way round.

Jelly went into the gravel at Luffield, he didn't hit the wall. I didn't see if he was pushed or just ran straight on.

The two doctors' cars were called out and came on track at Brooklands just as the field was approaching the bridge. Inevitable not everyone saw the flags and backed off in time, Collard and Vaulkhard in particular were still fighting for position. In the confusion Doyle was tagged and got sideways and Turner was left with no where to go.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2278898)   #19
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmpflicht99
How many spectators were at the Track ???
27,000 according to btcc.net. Anyone know how many were watching DTM at Brands?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2278900)   #20
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
The TV mentioned several times about Jelleys dislocated shoulder
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2278904)   #21
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Talking to one of the mechanics at WSR he ended up wheel to wheel with somebody that forced the steering wheel which pulled his shoulder. Appernetly he has dislocated it before and he poped it back in himself whilst he was in the car.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2278910)   #22
Helmpflicht99
Rookie

Germany
near Bremen
Helmpflicht99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
27,000 according to btcc.net. Anyone know how many were watching DTM at Brands?

26.800 Source dtm.com
Old 31 Aug 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2279028)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A decent day's racing, although it's disappointing that Gio is essentially already champion. Northern South have done an amazing job of failing to take advantage of the best touring car in the world - they seem to have a different problem every weekend. Much as Gio is a great driver and a good bloke, it seems like Plato is doing most things right only to keep missing out. Jones and Turner would both be excellent support for him; Darren is the unluckiest man in motor racing right now.

Great weekend from Jelley, I'm impressed that he continued despite injury. A shame the weather counted against he and Vaulkhard after their great grid positions. Jackson was impressive too.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 06:54 (Ref:2279156)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
27,000 according to btcc.net.
27,000 it looked an awful let less than that from where I was sat.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2279275)   #25
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Turner/Doyle's accident happened after Jelley's, not the other way round.

Jelly went into the gravel at Luffield, he didn't hit the wall. I didn't see if he was pushed or just ran straight on.

The two doctors' cars were called out and came on track at Brooklands just as the field was approaching the bridge. Inevitable not everyone saw the flags and backed off in time, Collard and Vaulkhard in particular were still fighting for position. In the confusion Doyle was tagged and got sideways and Turner was left with no where to go.
Don't forget that there are yellow lights on both the bridge & Brooklands corner & thet were on. So not seeing the flags is not an excuse really. Yes the lights were on before that is queried.