Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Dec 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3341156)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Asian Le Mans Series

In a recent press release by the Asian Le Mans Series, a five-race provisional calendar, updated class structure, and new sporting regulations have been announced for the 2014 season!

Schedule
1. Inje Speedium - July 6, 2014
2. Fuji Speedway - August 10, 2014 (w/ Autobacs Super GT)
3. Shanghai Intl. Circuit - October 12, 2014 (new venue w/ WTCC)
4. Zhuhai Intl. Circuit - October 26, 2014
5. Sepang Intl. Circuit - December 7, 2014

Class Structure
LMP2
LMPC
- Class for the new "CN" cars. Supposedly will be called "LMPC" according to page 4 in the 2014 official full season entry form.
GT
- GTE, GTC, and Super GT300 combined.
GT-Am
- GTE, GTC, and Super GT300 combined... alternative for gentleman drivers.

Basic Sporting Regs
- As was the case for the 2013 season, first place in LMP2 and top two in GTC (now GT and GT-Am) get automatic invitations to following year's 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- Only two people allowed to be involved in a tire change at one time.
- Consolidated entry fee; despite an additional race, the entry and logistics fees will remain nearly identical to the 2013 fees.

--

Exciting future for Asian racing on the horizon!
Old 8 Dec 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3341573)   #2
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Dagys reports there could be 5 full-time LMP2's next year. And we might see 4 Craft entries in the 2014 AsLMS.

Who could those 5 LMP2 entries be?
1x - 2x KCMG
1x Tokai University (with their LMP2 hybrid)
1x - 2x Craft Racing???
1x Oak Racing Team Total???
1x Gainer International???

http://sportscar365.com/asian-lms/sepang-notebook/
Old 8 Dec 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3341615)   #3
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
And we might see 4 Craft entries in the 2014 AsLMS.
Probably 1x LMP2, 2x GT3 and 1x CN car for young drivers
Old 8 Dec 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3341643)   #4
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully more people in Asia learn about this series and like it
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3341693)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I'm inherently an optimist, but even taking that into account, the historically high level of Asian interest in sportscars, the scale of the Asian economy, and the genuinely decent crowds we saw at Fuji and Shanghai for the WEC I think we can start to see some prospect here.

Okay the grid at the front this year wasn't jaw droppingly brilliant, but a good show was put on, and just like a so-so 2012 in the ELMS gave us a genuinely good 2013, I think we could build to something seriously worthwhile in the east.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3341742)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep I'd say it's got a chance. Getting the ELMS and AsLMS right will really strengthen the hand of the ACO and sportscar racing.

There was noticeably more buzz around the final round this year.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3341757)   #7
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
No doubt helped by the organisers assisting several international journalists to be there, but good job nonetheless. We'll see for the future; as a pessimist, I'm not sure that there's a future in the series with the likes of GT Asia doing a good job. Also, I worry that by offering a cheaper LMP category it will chase teams away from fielding P2 cars and if they insist on slowing the GTs so that the CN/P3 cars are quicker than them we'll end up in all sorts of bother.

Here's hoping, 5 P2 cars for next year will be a success, but any fewer and I'd question what's the point. Next year is key, anyway, good luck to the organisers convincing teams to come out and play.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3341793)   #8
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nexus Racing CN entry?

Last edited by somebodysb2; 9 Dec 2013 at 02:22.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3341803)   #9
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact this championship made it past year one is a success in my book.

With the use of the new CN regs, this means that Pescarolo is eligible right?

And I hope they change the schedule around. As of now, WEC Fuji and ALMS Shanghai are on the same day. And the huge 5 week gap is not necessary. :/
Old 9 Dec 2013, 04:03 (Ref:3341814)   #10
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
And I hope they change the schedule around. As of now, WEC Fuji and ALMS Shanghai are on the same day. And the huge 5 week gap is not necessary. :/
I hope not. With the entry count being as small as it is, I don't think such a vulnerable series can take much more. Pushing a bigger schedule would ultimate be unwise, I think.

I don't, however, like the idea of having two Chinese races in five rounds. Perhaps the new Buriram Circuit in Thailand, Sentul in Indonesia, Buddh in India? Spread the wealth, people.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 04:31 (Ref:3341821)   #11
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I hope not. With the entry count being as small as it is, I don't think such a vulnerable series can take much more. Pushing a bigger schedule would ultimate be unwise, I think.

I don't, however, like the idea of having two Chinese races in five rounds. Perhaps the new Buriram Circuit in Thailand, Sentul in Indonesia, Buddh in India? Spread the wealth, people.
Shanghai is a big money event and Zhuhai is many of the big team's home turf.

But I don't think they should worry about venues at this stage. What they need desperately is entries.

Their Fuji race must be held alongside SGT because its an optional GT300 point scoring round and will attract a healthy influx of cars that this series needs.

I mean, they even resorted to creating a GTC Am category this year for Super Trofeo cars..

Buriram is interesting though, make that an optional GT300 round as well, be sure to attract lots of Super GT teams
Old 9 Dec 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3341843)   #12
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I never mentioned making the schedule bigger. I just wish they push the final round a couple weeks forward...a 5 week gap is not necessary.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3341847)   #13
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
A 5 week gap is not necessary.
It is necessary to the organizers. They cannot afford the track costs on their own. They need to run as "support" on a local race's bill. (Although they pretend they are the headline race.)
Old 9 Dec 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3341997)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Super GT will be running its own round at Buriram on October 5th.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3342037)   #15
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
http://sportscar365.com/wec/kcmg-set...nsion-in-2014/

Quote:
“We think WEC will be better because of the LMP2 category. That’s why we’ve entered WEC and we want to [expand] out of Asia. Basically, there’s no more things we can do in Asia!”
That must be completely discouraging for Mark Thomas and the Asian Le Mans Series. Clearly teams like KCMG don't place Asian racing at a very high priority because of the lack of interest from other teams, even if next to all of those teams are Asian! Exactly why it's hard to get a series going in a continent that currently doesn't hold much interest (even though it's probably the richest)...

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing them in the WEC and ELMS.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3342149)   #16
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is a reason the season finished at Sepang...because Sentul was ditched 'due to homologation issues'. Can't see LMP cars racing at Sentul...
Old 10 Dec 2013, 01:15 (Ref:3342190)   #17
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Quote:
http://sportscar365.com/wec/kcmg-set...nsion-in-2014/

That must be completely discouraging for Mark Thomas and the Asian Le Mans Series. Clearly teams like KCMG don't place Asian racing at a very high priority because of the lack of interest from other teams, even if next to all of those teams are Asian! Exactly why it's hard to get a series going in a continent that currently doesn't hold much interest (even though it's probably the richest)...

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing them in the WEC and ELMS.
The KCMG boss, Paul Ip, was one of the main people behind AsLMS!

AFAIK His original intention was to start AsLMS but then got lured into running an LMP2 squad as well.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 05:12 (Ref:3342249)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I've watched the coverage of A1GP from Sentul, so I can certainly see LMP2s running there.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3342259)   #19
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
There is a reason the season finished at Sepang...because Sentul was ditched 'due to homologation issues'. Can't see LMP cars racing at Sentul...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I've watched the coverage of A1GP from Sentul, so I can certainly see LMP2s running there.
I'm going to have to agree with Marcel on this one. Sentul's facilities are somewhat dilapidated whereas Sepang is one of only twenty odd tracks that have FIA Grade 1 rating. Plus, Sepang is slightly more accessible than Sentul. There really is no reason to go to Sentul over Sepang other than the purposes of novelty.

If they added another round it would probably be a tossup between Ordos, Buriram, Yeongam, and Sentul.

Sentul:

Sepang:

No contest, really. :/
Old 10 Dec 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3342280)   #20
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
The next year's calendar seems pretty nice like that. Mark Thomas was left like a shag on a rock so he had to overcome it.

GT Asia racer Hiroshi Hamagushi tested OAK's winner car on Monday at Sepang. He is on "I want to buy one" list.

OAK will be
full as a fairy's phone book.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3342344)   #21
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodysb2 View Post
The KCMG boss, Paul Ip, was one of the main people behind AsLMS!

AFAIK His original intention was to start AsLMS but then got lured into running an LMP2 squad as well.
KCMG will remain in AsLMS with 1 or 2 cars, but they also might enter ELMS and/or WEC.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3342381)   #22
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
KCMG will remain in AsLMS with 1 or 2 cars, but they also might enter ELMS and/or WEC.
They've confirmed a WEC entry.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 23:01 (Ref:3342518)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
No, Beetle, I wouldn't pick Sentul over Sepang, but that is NOT because Sepang is an FIA Grade 1 circuit. I think Sepang has a good layout, and is in attractive surroundings. However, I'd be fine with seeing China have Zhuhai, and going to Sentul instead of Shanghai. It would probably be cheaper for the AsLMS, at least in some ways, to do that. Also, Indonesia is a very major market, with 240+ million people.

I don't see South Korea getting two rounds, so I think we're safe from seeing Yeongam on the schedule, for now. I'm very happy that the series is going to Inje Autopia. Yes, I could see India and/or Thailand getting in on the action. If that proposed circuit near Mumbai ever gets off the ground, maybe the AsLMS would go there instead of Buddh; it would almost certainly be more cost-effective compared to the circuit currently hosting F1.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3351206)   #24
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What about KCMG 2014 plans? Cars are a boy's best friend. But ask any Hong Konger boy to show you his most prized possession and we bet the box is Ferrari. Not OAK.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 12:01 (Ref:3355842)   #25
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Curious to see how the new Woodard Racing Organisation HPD LMP2 will do in Asia.

WRO returns to racing, to race in the ELMS and Asian LMS http://www.motorsport.com/elms/news/...ith-honda-hpd/