Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3873141)   #126
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, may I add something? Yes! Thank you… The farther you seem to go the better I love you. Could sound like good news if, and only if, you ignore that what the case with my ex-wife!! But you never meet her I presume! Or……… was it you?!!!
Old 30 Dec 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3873160)   #127
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bob, may I add something? Yes! Thank you… The farther you seem to go the better I love you. Could sound like good news if, and only if, you ignore that what the case with my ex-wife!! But you never meet her I presume! Or……… was it you?!!!
On her wedding night the bride asked her new husband; "Am I the first woman you have made love too?"

He replied; "It's possible, your face is certainly familiar."

Your ex. Gerard? Is she very fat, ugly, grey haired, with bad breath?

If so it might have been me.
Old 30 Dec 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3873165)   #128
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Your ex. Gerard? Is she very fat, ugly, grey haired, with bad breath?
How do you know that, you? From your description everyone knows she was French!
If ever one of your flat bottom vessels had to land on one of our shores, have a look to the posters the migrants will find:https://fr.yahoo.com/news/monde-prés...225858450.html
Its not a warning, its a typical welcome…
Old 30 Dec 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3873167)   #129
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I can't quite work it out- Our government are paying over £100 million for extra ferries to ply the seas between UK and France. So, does that mean as they've paid for them, we will get to use them for free...…?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
I read that the other day and I am a bit puzzled by it. On 1st April will freight traffic suddenly and magically increase to warrant all those extra sailings, surely there will be no need for any boats as by about midday on the 1st all the potts will be blocked solid with trucks and cars waiting to be processed on both sides. In this case all the current boats can be moved to other routes with no need for any extra. It just sounds like it's going to be a new PFI of the seas.
Old 30 Dec 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3873168)   #130
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thank goodness it’s not just me that’s puzzled, Tim!
Old 30 Dec 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3873176)   #131
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I can't quite work it out- Our government are paying over £100 million for extra ferries to ply the seas between UK and France. So, does that mean as they've paid for them, we will get to use them for free...…?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
Wouldn't have thought you would get much of a ferry capacity for that sort or money.

Renting for a month?

Why don't they just get Elon to Bore another tunnel. According to his numbers it should cost about the same. It would also give him a delivery route for model 3s wherever they are to be made in Europe. (NL I assume?)
Old 30 Dec 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3873177)   #132
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It looks like the price for only one ferry if you buy a second hand one. BF chief executive's name sounds French, are you sure the contract has been signed by you DfT or your DCW, Department of Cilly Walks?
Old 30 Dec 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3873180)   #133
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apparently the company Seabourne is only about a month old is worth £70, and has no boats of any description. This from the BBC, so must be true.

I foresee another scandalous waste of public money being hushed up.

Capt Birdseye.
Old 30 Dec 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3873182)   #134
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hey, Captain, send them a compass while you are here… Last time you targeted Britany you landed in Normandy. Please stay focused on the sailing rules…
Signé: Popeye-le-Français!
Old 30 Dec 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3873184)   #135
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bob, you've got a message here:
https://www.letelegramme.fr/monde/br...8-12173636.php
Learning the name of people wanting to give you lessons will teach you a lot!
Old 30 Dec 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3873197)   #136
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Apparently the company Seabourne is only about a month old is worth £70, and has no boats of any description. This from the BBC, so must be true.

I foresee another scandalous waste of public money being hushed up.

Capt Birdseye.
I reckon you’re likely going to be spot on with that, Bob. Sounds like a major mess up in the making. It also hasn’t gone unnoticed that DFDS and Brittany are European owned, and that even if the whole scheme isn’t needed, they will be keeping some of the dosh....

Gerard- They (Our Department of Transport) are not buying the ships, just awarding contracts to DFDS, Britney and Seabourne for them to source and run them. Sounds like easy money, as we’ll be paying commercial rates to travel on them..... The last mentioned is supposedly going to run ships out of Ramsgate, which hasn’t operated ferries for years! First thing needed will be to dredge the harbour, apparently. Brittany are supposed to be adding extra crossings to from Portsmouth and Plymouth, so presume DFDS will be doing the same from the east coast.....
Old 30 Dec 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3873202)   #137
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I wonder how many gubbernment officials are on the board of Seabourne, or am I being a tad cynical?
Old 31 Dec 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3873221)   #138
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely running more ferries to the same ports is unlikely (to say the least) to fix the sort of problems that people have been talking about.

Customs documentation and checks for example.

Or will they just load up the ferries, shove them out of the harbour to make room for the next one in, and have a battalion of customs officers on board to do the check and the admin?

Or maybe it's a secret plan to use the additional ferries for asylum seekers to cut down the number of nasty polluting plastic vessels threatening the shipping lanes - just dressed up as something to do with Brexit. The same sort of smoke screen as JLR moving its manufacturing to Austria and Slovakia.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 00:51 (Ref:3873223)   #139
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

You don't think that maybe someone became a little confused when researching the company do you?

https://www.seaboardcorp.com/

They have a division called Seaboard Marine.

Old 31 Dec 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3873232)   #140
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks, Mike, getting clearer now… if possible. Not only because we're talking about boats, this kind of arrangement make me sick. Why are there so many French involved in your juicy businesses? Now I understand why many of you hate our guts probably we're seen as invaders. In this case, who started, the egg or the hen?

Do you know what will happen with the VAT? Stay like is? Different rate or several rates as we had in the seventies - up to 33,3%-. Have to pay one GB tax plus VAT? Or if goods are shipped abroad dont pay the GB tax and pay VAT?

Its only for me but my feeling of how things are going in France (only in France) could be summarized by a single image. Imagine a bus stop. Many people waiting for the "right" bus. Among those people a large portion had already a bad experience with a "wrong" bus. New bus arrival, sympathetic smiling driver shouting "c'on everybody, get on, there's room for everyone, chose your destination we'll reach it promptly! Music!" There you go, everybody's happy, singing in the bus. After few miles, no one can say where the heck this f-bus is going wondering if the driver has got a licence! And, may be, if he isn't half crazy…

Next time, I'll wait longer and will enjoy Mojacar bus, the driver looks cool to say the least!
Old 31 Dec 2018, 05:51 (Ref:3873233)   #141
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mon Ami Robert, you know me quite well, me and my English version… May be in some suburb near you, instead of "happy new year" you could hear "hang them all"! The more we go, the better I understand why you want to leave. Better than green washing - another thing I can't understand - go for politicians washing. I'll send you some Seifenpulver…
Old 31 Dec 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3873234)   #142
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Surely running more ferries to the same ports is unlikely (to say the least) to fix the sort of problems that people have been talking about.

Customs documentation and checks for example.

Or will they just load up the ferries, shove them out of the harbour to make room for the next one in, and have a battalion of customs officers on board to do the check and the admin.
Grant, think the idea is to take some traffic away from the Dover Calais crossing. Hence resurrected route between Ramsgate and Ostend, plus extra ferries from Portsmouth to Le Havre, Plymouth to somewhere, East coast to Netherlands or further North.....

What seems incredible to me is that the 3 companies that have been awarded contracts (not put out to tender, apparently) will get paid even if the new services are not needed at the end of March....
Old 31 Dec 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3873235)   #143
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not forgetting the polite words you got from Christophe Mathieu, Brittany Ferries chief executive saying : “Our priority is to prepare for a no-deal Brexit and to create additional capacity………also we will work hard to minimise impact on existing BF freight customers and passengers, although there may be some changes to some sailing times, for which we apologise in advance.” Apologies in advance, what more could you expect?
Old 31 Dec 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3873237)   #144
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

What seems incredible to me is that the 3 companies that have been awarded contracts (not put out to tender, apparently) will get paid even if the new services are not needed at the end of March....
Hmm maybe this is the Brexit Bonus that has been so long promised. Just not a Bonus for most of us.

Something doesn't smell right. A start up receiving a substantial figure with no tender seems strange. Yet equally the figures bandied around don't seem big enough to do the job.

We're not being told the full story.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Dec 2018, 07:42 (Ref:3873240)   #145
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Grant, think the idea is to take some traffic away from the Dover Calais crossing. Hence resurrected route between Ramsgate and Ostend, plus extra ferries from Portsmouth to Le Havre, Plymouth to somewhere, East coast to Netherlands or further North.....

That would be a condition of contract and if you think about it it is reasonable. If something happens to change the deal that is out of the hands of one of the parties its a variation and should be compensated.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3873243)   #146
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We're not being told the full story.
Its often the case I fear, any country.

How do you call "la cour des comptes" in England? An institution making a year report about how public money was spent/spoiled. Supposed to be independent, it works fine here but there is few if no action on any revealed scandal or stupidity. I guess we should have another institution watching over this court's shoulder and so on…

I hope very much that from April your "out" will act as an awareness for some others, like an electroshock. You must be happy with your GBP, we lost many things with the euro money.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3873253)   #147
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That would be a condition of contract and if you think about it it is reasonable. If something happens to change the deal that is out of the hands of one of the parties its a variation and should be compensated.
Yes you’re right and if I was Britney etc would ensure it is in the contract!

Another interesting snippet is that the whole story leaked out after having been only released on an obscure euro portal late Xmas eve..... Almost as if they wanted to keep it quiet
Old 31 Dec 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3873254)   #148
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You don't think that maybe someone became a little confused when researching the company do you?

https://www.seaboardcorp.com/

They have a division called Seaboard Marine.

The Government has claimed to have done 'due diligence' on Seabourne and are satisfied that they have the expertise, resources, and personal to do the job. We can only hope.
Old 31 Dec 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3873256)   #149
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Government has claimed to have done 'due diligence' on Seabourne and are satisfied that they have the expertise, resources, and personal to do the job. We can only hope.
Well, that's alright then, we can go into 2019 without any worries...
Old 31 Dec 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3873263)   #150
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Well, that's alright then, we can go into 2019 without any worries...

I’m also confused as to who pockets the money I pay to book one of the ‘extra’ ferries, seeing as the taxpayer is paying £40 million plus to DFDS and Britney, and £13 million plus to the new lot. There was mention on one news website that in the event of the extra capacity not being needed, the government ‘would seek to sell the extra capacity back to the market’. How does that work, then....

Also interesting to note that the directors (‘seasoned shipping veterans’) and shareholders of the new lot have apparently been working towards starting up a service between Ramsgate and Ostend for 2 years. Now appears their working capital is being bankrolled by us....