Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Aug 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3923204)   #51
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seems Cammish starts to be really frustrated about not winning
Old 18 Aug 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3923205)   #52
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This Ginetta lead battle is another level of crazy.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3923206)   #53
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This Ginetta lead battle is another level of crazy.
Almost ended very badly!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3923207)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the best races I've ever seen, lol. That was amazing
Old 18 Aug 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3923210)   #55
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
how come all other 29 drivers didn't do this mistake....
Plato wasn't the only one.

I felt sorry for Plato when it happened at the first round but there's no excuse now. It's a daft rule in my book as in every other series (AFAIK) it's the wheels that matter but it's the same rule for everyone in the BTCC and they've had plenty of time to get used to it now.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3923211)   #56
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like Ingram dropped down after losing a side window! Any ideas what happened to Chilton?
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3923213)   #57
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes a silly mistake from Plato, but he did well to get quite a few places back, shame he was not at the front as it could have been a very exciting race at the sharpe end.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:22 (Ref:3923216)   #58
swooshiain
Racer

Scotland
swooshiain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm certainly no fan of Plato, but I do agree with him that the penalty for a grid box infringement is too severe. I would say a five or ten second penalty applied after the race would be fairer.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3923217)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshiain View Post
I'm certainly no fan of Plato, but I do agree with him that the penalty for a grid box infringement is too severe. I would say a five or ten second penalty applied after the race would be fairer.
I also agree it's very harsh, but post-race penalties are a bad way to go. It means the race results are different to the race we watched, and crucially, it means a car which isn't 'in' the race (as it's going to be penalised) will have an effect on the cars that are in the race. So you could get a 10 second penalty, punt the leader off, and then still beat them because of that.

BTCC has a problem with penalties as the races are too short. A drive through works for a Blancpain race because there is time to recover. It doesn't work in BTCC as you go from the lead, to last, and that's your weekend ruined.

It is very harsh. I'm not sure what the answer is. I don't think changing the post-race results is a good option though.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3923218)   #60
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshiain View Post
I'm no fan of Plato (understatement!) and for 95% of his interview I was thinking "Fair play JP, very humble admitting that as the driver, it's your fault" but then he obviously realised what was happening and decided to blame the rules!
To be honest, it was a complete rookies mistake, to not position his car on the grid as he would for the start of the race was a stupid thing to do by someone who is supposed to be clever!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3923220)   #61
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see it as blaming the rules. To me the problem is that, for the same offense, the consequences are massively different if you do it in race 1 or race 3. No idea how to sort that out with the way BTCC races work but it's always been an issue for me.

He did position the car in the same place but moving around in the seat to look around the people on the grid meant that the piece of tape was out of position. Much easier for those on the right hand side of the grid to line up as they're right next to the wall on the left it's crucial to get the angle right.

Seems daft to me that something so important is sorted with bits of tape when they all have radios. I know pit crew aren't allowed on the wall for the start but surely allowing one person per team there until the grid is formed would make more sense.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3923222)   #62
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato punted Jackson and Smiley off this time, everyone else seems to be able to drive cleanly but him today.

Edit - and Sutton!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3923223)   #63
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I didn't see it as blaming the rules. To me the problem is that, for the same offense, the consequences are massively different if you do it in race 1 or race 3. No idea how to sort that out with the way BTCC races work but it's always been an issue for me.

He did position the car in the same place but moving around in the seat to look around the people on the grid meant that the piece of tape was out of position. Much easier for those on the right hand side of the grid to line up as they're right next to the wall on the left it's crucial to get the angle right.

Seems daft to me that something so important is sorted with bits of tape when they all have radios. I know pit crew aren't allowed on the wall for the start but surely allowing one person per team there until the grid is formed would make more sense.
Crew members are on the grid before the race yeah? Put the tape on the armco. They do that in F1.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3923224)   #64
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
That race was really good. Super-save from Sutton. That was impressive. And Matt Neals pass into the final corner. As usual, JP involved in more incidents than the rest of the grid. Shocker.

Discussion: The race was really good. They're all on the same tyre. Do we need multiple compounds?
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3923225)   #65
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Plato punted Jackson and Smiley off this time, everyone else seems to be able to drive cleanly but him today.

Edit - and Sutton!

I got my post removed of the btcc fans page for bringing that up. Apparently there was no evidence and I was driving bashing. Sensitive little soldiers on there
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3923226)   #66
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
That race was really good. Super-save from Sutton. That was impressive. And Matt Neals pass into the final corner. As usual, JP involved in more incidents than the rest of the grid. Shocker.

Discussion: The race was really good. They're all on the same tyre. Do we need multiple compounds?
Agree with this all. Thruxton is probably the worst circuit on the calendar for overtaking yet both races (and the supports) have been brilliant today on the single tyre.

Pleased to see Cook win that, think he's the only one who can challenge WSR for the title now.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3923227)   #67
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post

Edit - and Sutton!
Plato is an idiot, isn't he? He can't do clean overtakes, he punts everybody off the track. What an ar*ehole.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3923228)   #68
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
I got my post removed of the btcc fans page for bringing that up. Apparently there was no evidence and I was driving bashing. Sensitive little soldiers on there
Oh no definitely. Same thing happens on Twitter. Plato's fans are a little bit different from those of other drivers...

Collard, Cammish, Oliphant grid for R3.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3923230)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
By the end of the day, I expect JP to show up again to tell us we're all wrong and we can all get free tickets if we go to Twitter to debate him and his mob.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3923231)   #70
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
By the end of the day, I expect JP to show up again to tell us we're all wrong and we can all get free tickets if we go to Twitter to debate him and his mob.
At this rate, we'll get a whole season for free!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3923232)   #71
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happens if gets a 4th strike ?
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3923233)   #72
Heavyd123
Rookie

Heavyd123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone notices ah Sutton’s front end as well? Obviously The drivers must keep reversing into him....
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3923235)   #73
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd123 View Post
Anyone notices ah Sutton’s front end as well? Obviously The drivers must keep reversing into him....
I'm not a Sutton fan, but there wasn't actually a video of him doing anything wrong. I don't recall any videos of cars spinning off the nose of the Subaru.

The Vauxhall on the other hand...
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3923236)   #74
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clios are usually pretty boring but this race has been great.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3923237)   #75
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Clios are usually pretty boring but this race has been great.
Hopefully Robinson is ok. SC and he's still in the car.