Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Aug 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3924799)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Belgian Grand Prix 2019: Grand Prix Weekend Thread

Spa-Francorchamps, or 'Spa', as it is commonly shortened to, despite being much closer to the town of Francorchamps, is set in the Ardennes Forest and its first Grand Prix was held in 1924. Until 1970, it was run on a fearsome, much longer incarnation of the circuit (14.9km at its maximum length) than the contemporary one, which at 7km, is still the longest on the calendar. It used to consist of many fast public roads which stretched down to the villages of Malmedy and Stavelot before eventually rejoining what we have today and had monster fast straights. The notorious Masta Kink straddled two straights between Malmedy and Stavelot.

In 2019, Spa still features many glorious corners which follow the natural order of the land. It is a track that delights in having Formula 1 cars driven on it. Because of the topography, the majority of the corners just feel right, like that is the way the track is supposed to go. It doesn’t feel designed by anyone but by Spa-Francorchamps itself. This sense of a natural event is compounded by the forces of nature. The element of the weather can add a total twist in the ark of the race by means of rain showers which come out of the blue. The microclimate of this part of the Ardennes means that one moment it is sunny and the next, ominous clouds have swept in and they are pouring, sometimes in only one area. A vital decision to pit or not to pit on a seven-kilometre layout can turn a race here on its head.

Turns here are not merely numbers, but have evocative names, recalling races of years gone by.

Turn 1 is La Source. A tricky hairpin, it opens quite wide on the exit and allows for plenty of jostling on the opening lap (and DRS Detection Zone 1 on later ones) as the drivers set themselves up for Turns 2 to 4, the Eau-Rouge – Raidillon combination. Eau Rouge is actually the brief left at the bottom of the hill before the slight right, Raidillon, which climbs to the top and goes further than the eye can see from when you are entering the curve. There is a left as the drivers go over the brow and try to tame the car, gently balancing out any danger and keeping forward motion for the Kemmel Straight. These corners are spectacular to watch in person, where the gradient becomes apparent in a way that is not always the case on television.

The Kemmel Straight is the longest one and features DRS Activation Zone 1. It leads drivers to the magnificent right-left-right Les Combes complex (Turns 5 to 7). Whilst Eau Rouge and Raidillon are a pure thrill, it is these corners that begin to remind you that much of the joy of this track is in just how good the more conventional corners are. It’s a right-left chicane followed by ninety-right with a less angled entry and looks superb to drive. This is where the drivers will really be starting to enjoy the flow. Overtaking opportunities also abound into Turn 5.

The drivers plunge downhill into Bruxelles, which is Turn 8. Perhaps because of the relatively short distance between Les Combes and Bruxelles, it somehow invites drivers to dare to brake late, but it’s a risky thing, easy to put a wheel off and in any event, not so easy to gather traction on the exit.

A quick left takes the drivers 90 degrees through Turn 9 before they approach Pouhon (Turns 10 and 11). A relentless left-hander, this is many drivers’ favourite section. Whereas Raidillon is easier to take flat than it once was, Pouhon is more of a case of fine throttle feathering, a lift usually necessary. The track is so fun by this point that it could be difficult for drivers to want to remove any speed, instead seeking to be really fast and ready to barrel through Turn 12 and then slow it down a bit more for 13, Campus.

Turn 14 is Stavelot, a right-hander which sets up the drivers for 15, the Courbe Paul-Frère. It’s crucial to carry as much as speed as possible through here, because they’re now not braking again until the final corners. The left-hand sweeper of Blanchimont (Turn 16) is followed by a slightly tighter one at 17.

Hard braking is called for into the right-left Bus Stop Chicane (Turns 18 and 19), just before which there is the second DRS Detection Zone (activation is on the start-finish straight). It is easy to fumble it through here.

What are your favourite Belgian Grand Prix memories?

Circuit length: 7.004km
Number of laps: 44
Race distance: 308.052km
Dry weather tyre compounds: C1, C2 & C3
Lap Record: 1:46.286 (2018 – Valtteri Bottas – Mercedes)
First Grand Prix: 1925
First World Championship Grand Prix: 1950
First Grand Prix on current layout: 1983

To join in our predictions contest and Fantasy F1 contest, go here: https://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Constructors’ championship standings: https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/team.html

Drivers' championship standings:
https://www.formula1.com/en/results....9/drivers.html

Belgian Grand Prix tyre choices:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ssJ9Uf9pv.html
Old 30 Aug 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3924802)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks as usual for the great intro BR. Much appreciated
Old 30 Aug 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3924808)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great intro BR. Having been chucked around the circuit in the British GT safety car for the first time earlier in the year, I completely concur with your descriptions of the corners. There's one thing that can't be conveyed through text alone though, and that's just how breathtaking most of the circuit is.

I'll have to catch up with this after the WEC at Silverstone though. Hope it's a good race!
Old 30 Aug 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3924813)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Great intro BR. Having been chucked around the circuit in the British GT safety car for the first time earlier in the year, I completely concur with your descriptions of the corners. There's one thing that can't be conveyed through text alone though, and that's just how breathtaking most of the circuit is.
Great intro BR, thanks! For me, the highlight of the F1 season, and Green is absolutely right, everything about a lap around Spa is breathtaking.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3924816)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Y'know, I always thought Blanchiment was T17!
Old 30 Aug 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3924820)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I guess it depends on who you ask.

Wikipedia lists it as T17. But the circuit map presented there has T2 before Raidillon de l'Eau Rouge, which is not shown on the F1 map. They also include T6 on Kemmel, and Pouhon as a single turn.

The track's own website describes Blanchiment as a double left-hander, along with Pouhon as a double, so I guess they're both right.

It's T16 & 17 on the F1 map. T17 & 18 on the Wikipedia map.

However, the full list of corners from the circuit's website is:

T1 - La Source
T2,3,4 - Le Raidillon.... de l'Eau Rouge
T5 - Kemmel
T6,7,8 - Les Combes
T9 - Bruxelles (Rivage)
T10 - Speakers Corner
T11,12 - Pouhon
T13,14 - Fagnes
T15 - Campus (Stavelot)
T16 - Paul Frère
T17,18 - Blanchimont
T19,20 - Chicane (Bus Stop)
Old 30 Aug 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3924822)   #7
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
For me, the highlight of the F1 season, and Green is absolutely right, everything about a lap around Spa is breathtaking.
What is there not to like about Spa.... other than a bit of snow!
Certainly a not to be missed event, and I have already found a bar on the beach in Calpe that will be showing the full Sky Qualy and Race coverage. So I am set for Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3924823)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I guess it depends on who you ask.
Yes I looked at Wiki. I reckon it's 18 because 17 is pretty much an easy run through flat out. 18 needs a bit more concentration.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3924825)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
What is there not to like about Spa.... other than a bit of snow!
Certainly a not to be missed event, and I have already found a bar on the beach in Calpe that will be showing the full Sky Qualy and Race coverage. So I am set for Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Nice one! Apart from being at the GP, what could be better.....

Apologies to Greem for my tablet adjusting the spelling of his name in an earlier post. Darn technology!
Old 30 Aug 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3924826)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes he's usually orange.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3924830)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes he's usually orange.
I've just got back from a week in the sun on Cyprus. I'm pink, slightly more freckled than usual and orange at the same time!
Old 30 Aug 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3924834)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking forward to the race. After the break... in a way it feels almost like the launch of a new season. And at Spa... such a bonus.

Richard
Old 30 Aug 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3924837)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Listening to FP2 on the radio. Seems Ferrari are looking good so far, but we've heard that enough times this season
Old 30 Aug 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3924844)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great intro as ever. Looking forward to this one. I wonder if we will see an invigorated Bottas, now he has retained his seat at Mercedes?
Old 31 Aug 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3924930)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Me too! On the first map T16 is easy T17 keeps your eyes wide open.
Old 31 Aug 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3924939)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just prefer if they referred to their corner names where they can
Old 31 Aug 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3924945)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hamilton in the wall at turn 12. That's Fagnes isn't it?
Old 31 Aug 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3924947)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
FP3, Lewis out, Ricciardo in 4th behind Bottas and Albon last. McLaren appear to be struggling.

Edit: Perez up there in 6th!
Old 31 Aug 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3924948)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

Well that’s a turn up for the books, Lewis in the wall
Old 31 Aug 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3924958)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kaboom!

Richard
Old 31 Aug 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3924960)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Commence conspiracy theories that Toto pushed a secret button in the Mercedes garage to detonate Kubica's engine to give the mechanics extra time to assemble Lewis's car.

Richard
Old 31 Aug 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3924969)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leclerc gets pole, followed by Vettel, Hamilton and Bottas. Mclaren are off the pace with Norris 10th and Sainz 17th.
Old 31 Aug 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3924982)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Antoine Hubert has died as a result of his injuries during the F2 race at Spa today.

RIP
Old 31 Aug 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3924987)   #24
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Nasty crash - RIP Hubert
Old 31 Aug 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3924988)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
How very sad. RIP Hubert