Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2120354)   #1
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
mazda59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sun Awareness as the new season approaches

As the new season approaches & everyone looks forward to their training days, can I use this thread to highlight the dangers of what sun exposure can do ( advice -especially new marshals )
Motorcircuits are very exposed to weather elements, standing out for sometimes up to 12 hours. the sun cannot be felt against the chill factor of the wind.
When your post chief advises you to put plenty of sun cream on( the higher factor the better) they are experienced in this fact ! If you haven't brought any , ask someone & I am sure someone will chuck some your way.
I am just getting over the surgery for skin cancer, it is extensive & invasive. I wont be able to marshal, drive or carry a fire bottle for quite some time.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2120362)   #2
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also if you have a bottle in your kit bag check the date as it does lose effectiveness as I found out last year on 1 of the few good days we got.

Hope the recovery goes well and does not take too long
Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2120367)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hang on, is this Britain we're talking about? Thermals & wellys are usually more appropriate.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2120378)   #4
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
mazda59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any excuse to get out of carrying those red bottles !
Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2120385)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda59
Any excuse to get out of carrying those red bottles !
So that's why you went flagging!

More serio usly, good post, Maz. I'll just add a couple of points:

Firstly, unless you use a product which gives all day protection (I use P20 - expensive but effective) remember that you may need to reapply during the day.

Secondly, you can get sunburnt lips! Get a lipstick-style sunstick & apply frequently, particularly after eating & drinking.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2120612)   #6
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is important.

In my first year of marshalling I got very dehydrated, didn't put cream or a hat on and had to be taken off post and leave someone by themself because I collapsed. Was not happy as I am stubborn and can't remember fainting, but I did!!

Plkease look after yourselves and others.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2120638)   #7
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's also a good idea to put suncream on if it's very windy. It stops windburn. I use factor 30 and still burn in the sun but at least it helps.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2120684)   #8
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Hang on, is this Britain we're talking about? Thermals & wellys are usually more appropriate.
I'm with you on this one Fat Clerk! please can someone post a picture of the sun (NOT the newspaper!) so we recognise it when we see it?

seriously though good post Maz & get well soon.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2120719)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As trackside Marshals we shouldn't really need to be told, or reminded to put on the slap - we're all adults after all.
However, I'll make a mental note to bring it up in my briefings in future, particularly for the benefit of those who are newer to our gang!

Maz, you're always welcome to be asst PC on post with me, whilst you get better (I know you have a much nicer, cuddlier PC to call your own) but the offer is there. Hope the recuperation goes well and look forward to seeing you soon.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2120777)   #10
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even though I spent yesterday marshalling in gale-force winds, lashing rain and even a brief blizzard for good measure, I do know where you're coming from. And it's even harder to notice that you're getting burnt if there's a breeze, as I found out at my first day at Kirkistown last year! Got a bit of a burnt forehead, but I would have been completely toasted had it not been for EvilPumpkin giving me some sun cream!!

Hope you have a speedy recovery, and I hope it won't be too long before you can return to post.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2121623)   #11
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this feeling, first day of marshalling, it wasn't very sunny, but I still got burnt!

Hope you get well soon as well.

Matt.

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2121676)   #12
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a VERY good thread. We forget how the light can burn our faces sometimes when the wind has taken the bite out of it, but we're still burning just the same. I'm taking it to heart and will add it any I/O stuff I'm doing.

Get well soon Mazda
Old 5 Feb 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2121707)   #13
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Maz!

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell but are now on your way to a speedy and full recovery and I hope to see you and Gaz very soon.

However, it's not just sun we need to consider but wind and rain and using suntan lotion offers some protection.

Also don't forget to use after sun lotion - I use P20.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2121731)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
I use P20.
.....and I use WD40!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2121947)   #15
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We were given bottles of "Taupo Race Circuit" Factor 30 sunscreen at (guess where) Lake Taupo. Very much appreciated as we hadn't anticipated the high temperatures or the strength of the sun (we'd been under the impression that it would be "like the UK"), so our UK bought stuff was not quite up to it!

Can also agree that re-applying is a necessity and something we don't always think about doing. You don't even need to be sweating to wear off the first coat.

The other thing we found necessary was the BIG floppy hat - saves the tips of the ears (btw that's somewhere else that you must remember to "do") and the back of the neck (another forgotten area).

Aloe Vera is an excellent after sun or wind treatment. Pure is best but a good moisturising compound is the next best bet.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2122059)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NZ weather - sun strength is equivalent to Italy, with less ozone layer so more UV. Which is why I bought the hat (see avatar). Now I pretty much never wear anything else. Being Kiwi, it's also waterproof since it can be like UK in that way. Just need to find an importer now.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 00:14 (Ref:2122076)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh

Aloe Vera is an excellent after sun or wind treatment. Pure is best but a good moisturising compound is the next best bet.
Aloe Vera comes highly recommended by Lucy Taylder (as was). I always keep a tube handy in the kitchen for unexpected burns.

Don't forget that you need extra protection on the nose and ears - a good factor 50 sunblock should help.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 01:49 (Ref:2122099)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You get sun and hot weather in the UK

Will wonders never cease.

We get the sun smart message drummed into us in australia so often we just do it automatically these days.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2122255)   #19
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont believe everything you read on these pages! Next they'll be telling you that all races go the full distance.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2122430)   #20
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Next they'll be telling you that all races go the full distance.
First time for everything, as the saying go's
Old 6 Feb 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2122754)   #21
Tim Hull
Racer

Tim Hull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People always ask me at this time of year if I've been on holiday because I looked tanned and hansome and they want to rip my shirt off (ok a little over exaggerated), but this is because I'm a forest school leader, spending a lot of time outdoors all year round, but its great to have a healthy glow this time of year.

Are you fed up with the long winter months...then get outside for a walk in the great outdoors. There are so many signs of Spring coming and its really uplifting and it will make you handsome like me
Old 6 Feb 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2122767)   #22
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i bet aloe vera does,nt work for wind after a curry the night before.best advice for anyone seeing the sun in the uk is get as much as you can,cos most of the time it,s either dull, wet,or freezing.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2122828)   #23
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman62
best advice for anyone seeing the sun in the uk is get as much as you can,cos most of the time it,s either dull, wet,or freezing.
...or all three at the same time!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2123060)   #24
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hull
People always ask me at this time of year if I've been on holiday because I looked tanned and hansome and they want to rip my shirt off (ok a little over exaggerated), but this is because I'm a forest school leader, spending a lot of time outdoors all year round, but its great to have a healthy glow this time of year.

Are you fed up with the long winter months...then get outside for a walk in the great outdoors. There are so many signs of Spring coming and its really uplifting and it will make you handsome like me
Tim, take care that you don't bite your tongue, what with it being so firmly lodged in your cheek!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2123377)   #25
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hull
People always ask me at this time of year if I've been on holiday because I looked tanned and hansome ...
I know the feeling. All the time people say to me, "Hey, Phil, you look like a tanned horse-drawn taxi."
I put it down to the pork pies