Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Mar 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3894153)   #2851
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant I thought thanks to the diesel emissions scandal sales of diesels had plummeted worldwide? Especially VW. That's why Honda left and Nissan didn't take up their Sunderland option.

At least that's what everyone told me over on the Brexit thread.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Mar 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3894189)   #2852
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Grant I thought thanks to the diesel emissions scandal sales of diesels had plummeted worldwide? Especially VW. That's why Honda left and Nissan didn't take up their Sunderland option.

At least that's what everyone told me over on the Brexit thread.
Civic sales were down in Europe anyway and little sign of likely recovery. People have suggested that the reason might be that its not an SUV or SUV look-a-like and, indeed, does not look much like anything else. So nobody wants to buy it. Figures I saw suggested Civic (branded) sales are strong in China. May as well build more there rather than refurbish the old Swindon works.' Then decide where they want to build whatever electric vehicles they might wish to pitch to the European market.

More likely they have looked ahead and considered probable future legislation and decided that volumes with be low enough to support from elsewhere while costs of manufacturing in the UK and Europe are only looking likely to increase.

Much the same story for Nissan although in their case it was a sort of SUV that not enough people were buying.

Now that Renault has plans to formally take over Nissan and then maybe Fiat Chrysler it would be difficult to read anything into any plans for production of one vehicle type or model over another at any of their plants.

That said I have seen a headline attributed to AutoExpress that suggests Renault are going to introduce an EV to compete directly with the Nissan Leaf. I suppose that is one way of creating market tension and publicity.
Old 29 Mar 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3894192)   #2853
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Something perhaps even more appropriate for a tea break.

https://youtu.be/6HSgDGLEswE
He must charge at least a grand for that considering the time it took !!! I preferred the potters wheel that the Beeb used to show in the afternoons
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Mar 2019, 03:15 (Ref:3894210)   #2854
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I liked the quote that said "available as a plate for flat earthers".

Mind you it took me a while to realise he was not making a light globe. (We call light bulbs globes down here)
Old 30 Mar 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3894221)   #2855
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
E.B, did you see how good it is to have one's skill worldwide recognized? Chinese are known to make low quality products. German are aware… Where will the Smart be produced now? C'est du marketing, mon pote, que du marketing!
Old 30 Mar 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3894259)   #2856
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the end I decided to go to Silverstone for Round 1 of Britcar which caters for everything from a Mclaren 650s GT3 to a Smart Car.Been an enjoyable day so far but I can't help but notice the track and its polocies.First of all when we arrive (this being my 2nd visit to Silverstone) they dont have any programmes on the gate which is a little annoying as I like to have a souvenir of the day.No problem as we ask at Sign on office and give us one for free.Then we can only use 1/4 of one of the stands for safety reasons,WTF.I then get told of for climbing over some tiny farm gate.Not put me off though😁.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3894280)   #2857
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to an unnecessary excess of horsepower when cars are to be speed limited- seems you don’t have to be going that quick to total a Lambo.....

This vid has best camera angle-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-uIxyn0C38I
Old 30 Mar 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3894310)   #2858
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Day done at Silverstone.Cracking day with some great racing.Fantastic walkimg through the pits seeing in one garage a 2CV and the next a Full GT3 Mclaren.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 20:48 (Ref:3894328)   #2859
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to an unnecessary excess of horsepower when cars are to be speed limited- seems you don’t have to be going that quick to total a Lambo.....

This vid has best camera angle-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-uIxyn0C38I
Yes a shame, I'm not going to comment on the incident !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Mar 2019, 21:31 (Ref:3894334)   #2860
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
In the end I decided to go to Silverstone for Round 1 of Britcar which caters for everything from a Mclaren 650s GT3 to a Smart Car.
HSCC at Donington or Britcar at Sillystone? No brainer for me, unfortunately transport problems prevented me getting to Nottinghamshire today but I'm pleased you enjoyed your day.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 22:04 (Ref:3894346)   #2861
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
HSCC at Donington or Britcar at Sillystone? No brainer for me, unfortunately transport problems prevented me getting to Nottinghamshire today but I'm pleased you enjoyed your day.
The Britcar grid was the best they've had and thr biggest.Some cracking racing.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 22:19 (Ref:3894349)   #2862
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Then we can only use 1/4 of one of the stands for safety reasons,WTF.I then get told of for climbing over some tiny farm gate.Not put me off though😁.
Possibly something lost in translation - most of the stands are closed as there are council tax implications (and staffing) of having them all open. Not saying its right - just what the story is.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 23:48 (Ref:3894354)   #2863
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meanwwhile, I was at the other end of Silverstone watching the MGCC meeting with some great racing.

It brought up an interesting thought - is the MGB the vehicle that is eligible for the largest variety of races? There's all the MGCC & MGOC series, Equipe, CSCC, various other historic & club races, etc. What other make or model can do so many different series?
Old 31 Mar 2019, 05:14 (Ref:3894376)   #2864
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Meanwwhile, I was at the other end of Silverstone watching the MGCC meeting with some great racing.

It brought up an interesting thought - is the MGB the vehicle that is eligible for the largest variety of races? There's all the MGCC & MGOC series, Equipe, CSCC, various other historic & club races, etc. What other make or model can do so many different series?
An MGB, especially in FiA trim, has long been touted as the most usable historic GT you can buy. All true!

And not expensive (relatively) to run, either.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3894377)   #2865
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes a shame, I'm not going to comment on the incident !
At an H R Owen ‘Supercar’ event as well........
Old 31 Mar 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3894382)   #2866
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Re the MGB being a good choice, which certainly is, this brings back to a genuine question: what makes a good race week end? For a long while I drove the worse GT ever and of course the worse Porsche ever, a 2.0 SWB. I hate this piece of mechanical non sense. But when you have twenty angry skilled drivers using the same car, same day, same track thrill is at every corner. Even in the straights sometimes!
Old 31 Mar 2019, 09:25 (Ref:3894397)   #2867
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
An MGB, especially in FiA trim, has long been touted as the most usable historic GT you can buy. All true!

And not expensive (relatively) to run, either.
Biggest expense being Entry fee's.
Built properly and with the right mods, can be a very competitive car!
Old 31 Mar 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3894399)   #2868
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Brian Lambert has invited me to share his MGB at Sumner Classic . Not co drove with him for a couple of years . He is doing 3.08 at Spa now . Best I’ve ever done in his car is a 12 so will have to up my game . 🙃
Old 31 Mar 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3894401)   #2869
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
There are at least two short cuts at Spa. If I can help…
Old 31 Mar 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3894403)   #2870
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I read the other day that Lynx engineering were showing 160bhp at the wheels on an FIA MGB. Best we've ever had with Lynx is approx 140. Go figure, as they say.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3894405)   #2871
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
One thing a rolling road can't show is the reliability. Not mentioning the settings of the machine.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3894406)   #2872
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. Hopefully before the trip to Le Mans I'll be able to fit the 45 DCOE that I have for the road MGB, it's got a fast road 1865 engine so will be interesting to see what Lynx does with that.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3894514)   #2873
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sunday evening and paper work time. Just had a chuckle to myself as here we are talking about MGB performance yet again.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3894536)   #2874
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Alfaholic;3894354]Meanwwhile, I was at the other end of Silverstone watching the MGCC meeting with some great racing.

From my view in the Safety Car there appeared to be more than the usual amount of contact damage, looked more like BTTC racing
Old 31 Mar 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3894545)   #2875
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
From my view in the Safety Car there appeared to be more than the usual amount of contact damage, looked more like BTTC racing
From the commentary, there did seem to be a bit going on in the Maggots/Beckett area, but from my viewpoint from the terraces at Luffield out where I could see Brooklands, Luffield & Woodcote, it appeared to be very clean.