Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Aug 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1371024)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
1980s Le Mans

I've been looking through the entry lists for Le Mans in the '80s recently - yes, my life is that action-packed - and a few features strike me as being very different from more modern Le Mans.

1) Teams seemed either to field LOTS of cars (three or more, especially works teams) or else a single car; not that many 'regular' two-car teams.

2) It was fairly common for teams to field more than one kind of car; frequently, for example, a team would field a new Spice or Tiga or whatever and a year-old car. Sometimes teams would field two entirely different cars.

3) There were, of course, only two major classes for most of the 1908s - C1 and C2 - with occasional interlopers like the Mazdas running as GTPs.

Any thoughts?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1371031)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not really, I just loved the period, full stop.......
Old 3 Aug 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1371058)   #3
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brun, Joest, Fitzpatrick and Kremer were regular multi-car entrants - (non -works, excepting pink 962 in 89 and two blaupunkt cars in 90 for Joest).

Some of the bigger teams fielded variations too:

Joest in 83 (2 x 956 and 1 x 936)
Kremer in 83 (1 x CK5 and 1 x 956)
Nissan in 86 (both 85 and 86 March chassis)
Toyota in 89 (2 x 89 chassis and 1 x 88 chassis)
Preston Henn 84 (1 x 956 and 1 x 962)
Cougar / Courage 90 (2 x Cougar 1 x Nissan) etc...

Big differences, that I see, between 80s and now:

- Higher propensity for cars to have unscheduled time in pits for mechanical reasons
- Much more "blue chip" sponsorship of factory and privateer efforts
- Everything had a roof
- Mulsanne
- No debris fencing
Old 3 Aug 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1371103)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And weren't those last three particularly cool........?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1371108)   #5
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep...

Have to question it being all C1 and C2. There were usually GT classes and IMSA classes, too, throughout the 1980s (maybe not the 1990s, for IMSA, but GTs always figured).

I still enjoy sportscar racing, but the 80s and very early 90s were really something.

Cheers.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1371112)   #6
markyboy
Rookie

markyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with the sentiment and things were less regimented. I remember my first time in 87 sittig on the armco barrier at Ford chicane and the marshall only having an issue if your legs were on the track side!!

2004 support race brought back some great memories sounds and sights.

One thing that has not changed is the party. Shame that the beer cellar went tho.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1371127)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
Yep...

Have to question it being all C1 and C2. There were usually GT classes and IMSA classes, too, throughout the 1980s (maybe not the 1990s, for IMSA, but GTs always figured).

Well there were certainly no GTs in 1986 when I first went. The GTs didn't return to Le Mans until 1993 after Baltestre and Ecclestone had destroyed the prototype category......
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1371139)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
There was a Group B BMW M1 in 1986, which was as close to GTs as you're going to get. But the entry lists in the 80s were dominated by Group C.

(oops)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 3 Aug 2005 at 14:52.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1371157)   #9
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
There was a Group B BMW M1 in 1986, which was as close to GTs as you're going to get. But the entry lists in the 80s were dominated by Group C.
And what a great looking car it was. The M1, 935 and 512BB's proper GT's
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2765000.html

The 80's where a great time to be at Le Mans. The evolution from Grp 4,5 & 6 to the GrpC and C2 and even GrpB the class the M1 found itself in along with a Porsche 928 one year!

Large well funded teams, a worthwhile world series alongside, top drivers. No Dunlop chicane, no pit garages for the team to hide in when things go wrong.

I think I am going to cry.........
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1371164)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
You're right. I forgot that one. Easy to forget really. The last vestiges of GTs in 1986.....
Old 3 Aug 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1371182)   #11
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M1s sounded ace too, as did the C2 URD and the Sauber C7 in 83. That 3.5 BMW motor was fantastic.

With respect to the 80s, I genuinely believe we will never have it as good again. Clearly the chicanes and obstrucive viewing are here to say, but the cars too. Awesome.

The late 90s had some great tackle, GT1 and GTP, but not quite on the level of Grp C.

The cars of today corner on rails compared with the 80s machines, but it is just too pure and sanitised, imo.

And wasn't it cool going to the Silverstone 1000 and then seeing all the longtailed stuff at Le Mans or the smaller wings, the cars visually different to the 1000km "sprint cars". Nowadays its really difficult to notice the changes.

I feel Le Mans 84 video is to be watched tonight
Old 3 Aug 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1371194)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
There seemed to be a lot more American drivers at Le Mans in the 80s, too.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1371199)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
M1s sounded ace too, as did the C2 URD and the Sauber C7 in 83. That 3.5 BMW motor was fantastic.
There was always a stub of blue flame from the exhust pipe as well.

The overun down to trete rouge was a great place to see the 935's spitting flame, the M1's poping and banging, all within touching distance without a chainlink fence in sight.

The other big difference now is that the braking distances are so short, the old 956's had to brake miles before a R8 driver would even think about lifting.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1371202)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
.....all within touching distance without a chainlink fence in sight.

Come on, you're just rubbing it in now.

Touch of the Joni Mitchell's here, I think.........
Old 3 Aug 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1371207)   #15
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
True,
on the downside, the loos where truly awful, the on site catering made you need the loo more often. the campsites had very basic facilites if any at all ( but you could buy a ticket on the gate!)
It was alot harder to walk around the track, the surface was so bad with massive pot holes in someplaces. Radio Le Mans was but a dream for most of the years, instead you had the hourly update.
The fun fair was full of freak shows and strip joints in the back of lorries(these too points could be good or bad depending on your frame of mind)
There was infact some chainlink fence around then as well in the first part of the 80's, it was taken down, then put back around almost the whole track.
The trip down was longer, mostly on single carriage roads, Rouen was a lottery, it was 10 years before we went through it the same way twice.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1371264)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But you loved every minute of it.......
Old 4 Aug 2005, 05:44 (Ref:1371622)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This topic all sounds very familiar! Normally save it for our friday night 'apres drivers parade' dinner in the old town...........
Old 4 Aug 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1371770)   #18
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1986, there was also the Porsche 961 (racing 959), which finished 7th - I'd count that as a GT.

Although you are right to say Group C dominated and all the better for it, it was too...A top level series that privateers could compete in...

Guess I was having too much fun to miss the GTs

Cheers
Old 4 Aug 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1371776)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's true as well - funny how the memory plays tricks on you. I'd call the 961 more of a GT than the M1, to be truthful.....
Old 5 Aug 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1373199)   #20
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember my first Le Mans in 1982 - the first year of Group C and something of a transition between the 'old' and the 'new' - everything from factory 956's and C100's to Billy Hagan's Camaro