Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 May 2016, 00:40 (Ref:3642742)   #76
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
All I read here was whinge whinge whinge
Another single line of great wisdom....
Old 19 May 2016, 01:11 (Ref:3642746)   #77
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Another single line of great wisdom....
I'll be here all week.
Old 19 May 2016, 02:16 (Ref:3642758)   #78
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I'll be here all week.

I tried the veal... it was as uninspiring as the rest of your 'act'
Old 19 May 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3642783)   #79
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The green eyed monster, and not Mr Lowndes' 00 Falcon, appears to be alive and well...
Another cryptic one-liner, as in the previous Homebush thread, rather than wanting to discuss the topic at hand because it seemingly doesn't agree with your 'Supercars can do no wrong' stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer
Yeah... Group A was a sport, unless you had last year's car, in which case it wasn't a sport at all. And anybody could race, as long as they had big money for the current car that smashed all the others...
And yet the front row at Bathurst in 1992 comprised cars built in 1989 and 1988 respectively....
Old 19 May 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3642799)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Another cryptic one-liner, as in the previous Homebush thread, rather than wanting to discuss the topic at hand because it seemingly doesn't agree with your 'Supercars can do no wrong' stance

Not even remotely close to cryptic. Envy is a self indulgent mistress.. usually associated with the colour green..

And, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you have a problem with a post, use the "report post" function.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 May 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3642823)   #81
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And yet the front row at Bathurst in 1992 comprised cars built in 1989 and 1988 respectively....
Cherry pick one data point much?

1992 season standings:

M Skaife 234 points
J Richards 214 points
T Longhurst 184 points

If you didn't have a GTR in 1991/1992 you were nowhere. The winning margin in the championship in 1991 was even more sickening.

It's hard to even believe we're arguing about this, as this issue caused the actual demise of an entire category of racing after only 6 years...
Old 19 May 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3642825)   #82
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

1992 season standings:

M Skaife 234 points
J Richards 214 points
T Longhurst 184 points

If you didn't have a GTR in 1991/1992 you were nowhere. The winning margin in the championship in 1991 was even more sickening.

It's hard to even believe we're arguing about this, as this issue caused the actual demise of an entire category of racing after only 6 years...

Seniors be like...

"Back in my day the racing was so much fairer then it is today"

Old 19 May 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3642826)   #83
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There IS a whole lot of rose-coloured glasses going on.
Old 19 May 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3642828)   #84
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

1992 season standings:

M Skaife 234 points
J Richards 214 points
T Longhurst 184 points

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The '91 season featured two rounds that would have to be in the top 10 ATCC races of all time. Both the B&H team and DJR led the GTR's on a number of occasions and although the final points can't be argued with they could lead to a conclusion that the races were not entertaining which wasn't the case.

The '92 series had many excellent races including arguably the best last lap in the history of the ATCC. And also perhaps the best finish in the history of the Sandown 500. Ford, Nissan, BMW and Holden all won races during the year. My personal favourite year until the 2010 series.
Old 19 May 2016, 11:16 (Ref:3642839)   #85
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

1992 season standings:

M Skaife 234 points
J Richards 214 points
T Longhurst 184 points

Hardly cherry picking, your statement was "Group A was a sport, unless you had last year's car, in which case it wasn't a sport at all. And anybody could race, as long as they had big money for the current car that smashed all the others" , i just merely pointed out that neither of the cars on the front row of Bathurst 1992, the biggest and most important race of that season, were "that years" cars. They had been both built years before.

But if you want to play the game of what happened that season, chavez is on the money that points standings don't tell the whole story.

In terms of the 1992 ATCC, Skaife won 7 races to John Bowe's 6 in the Sierra, while Jim Richards won no races. Seton & Longhurst won 2, and Brock 1.... all the outright manufacturers cars won a race.

Even in 1991, while there were no wins for Ford or Holden, at the very least Ford got a few poles, and Holden made the front row of the grid a few times.

If points standings are all that matter though, what does it say about the current formula if Winterbottom could cruise to the title by a mile last year, or Whincup winning the championship before the final round in 2012 and 2014? At least in 1992 three drivers went into the finale with a shot at the title...

The more things change the more they stay the same perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer
as this issue caused the actual demise of an entire category of racing after only 6 years
The demise of Group A in Australia had absolutly nothing to do with Nissan or anything that happened in 1991 or 1992.

Group A as far as touring cars were concerned were killed off by FISA after 1988, by 1992 the only new cars being homologated with FISA were intended for rallying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33
"Back in my day the racing was so much fairer then it is today"
When have fairness and motor racing ever gone together in the history of racing?

"Back in my day" though there was certainly less "show-biz".... we did have tyres that could last more than 30 or so laps of Barbagallo though
Old 19 May 2016, 12:30 (Ref:3642862)   #86
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Hardly cherry picking, your statement was "Group A was a sport, unless you had last year's car, in which case it wasn't a sport at all. And anybody could race, as long as they had big money for the current car that smashed all the others" , i just merely pointed out that neither of the cars on the front row of Bathurst 1992, the biggest and most important race of that season, were "that years" cars. They had been both built years before.
So the point you have conveniently side stepped is that first it was a Sierra, then it was the GT-R, and if you did not have THAT car, you could not win a DAMN THING. Peter Brock showed up in a Sierra for god's sake.

Group A was never a level playing field where anybody could turn up and hope to win anything.

Quote:
The demise of Group A in Australia had absolutly nothing to do with Nissan or anything that happened in 1991 or 1992.
Yeah.... OKAY
Old 19 May 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3643013)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
with Richie Stanaway preferring to race V8s instead of WEC on Sandown weekend, I think we can safety remove WEC from the equation
Old 19 May 2016, 23:43 (Ref:3643024)   #88
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
with Richie Stanaway preferring to race V8s instead of WEC on Sandown weekend, I think we can safety remove WEC from the equation
Yes, that makes sense, based on one drivers' opinion.
Old 19 May 2016, 23:47 (Ref:3643026)   #89
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Yes, that makes sense, based on one drivers' opinion.
Correct it does, the one driver that has an opportunity to race both

Notice SVG chooses to race V8s over Blancpain as well, we can discard that choice as well. the one driver that has a choice of both
Old 19 May 2016, 23:59 (Ref:3643027)   #90
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Correct it does, the one driver that has an opportunity to race both.....
Shouldn't that be: 'one of the two drivers that has an opportunity to race both'

Hasn't Oliver Gavin 'chosen' Austin over Sandown?
Old 20 May 2016, 00:06 (Ref:3643031)   #91
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Where did he say that? If he gets a win in the double points round and puts himself in a better position in the championship, then he'll probably be forced to skip the Sandown round.

Or alternatively we can use some simple logic, take away some emotion and we arrive to the conclusion that Stanaway is driver without a lot of backing and is seeking security in any of a few series worldwide, with V8s being one of those.

Actually your logic is good, But not sure you know why.

Why is it that v8s are one of the few series in the world that are able to provide security? Because its one of the best (if not the best) "motorsports products on the planet"
Old 20 May 2016, 00:07 (Ref:3643032)   #92
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can you show me once where I said it wasnt?
Old 20 May 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3643033)   #93
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Can you show me once where I said it wasnt?
What for?
Old 20 May 2016, 00:34 (Ref:3643042)   #94
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes peckstar, I was the one that posted that link, so I have read it. Is there any danger you'll answer my question?

I'll ask again:

HOW DOES THAT ONE COMMENT FROM ONE DRIVER AFFIRM THAT V8SUPERCARS ARE BETTER THAN WEC AS YOU STATED?????
Old 20 May 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3643045)   #95
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Yes peckstar, I was the one that posted that link, so I have read it. Is there any danger you'll answer my question?

I'll ask again:

HOW DOES THAT ONE COMMENT FROM ONE DRIVER AFFIRM THAT V8SUPERCARS ARE BETTER THAN WEC AS YOU STATED?????
you did not post the link in this thread

Firstly you asked two questions, i answered the first. Because you had already answered the second question yourself
Quote:
"Stanaway is driver without a lot of backing and is seeking security in any of a few series worldwide, with V8s being one of those."
WEC does not provide the security for him, where as v8s does
Old 20 May 2016, 02:56 (Ref:3643072)   #96
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Here's the thing.

Most of the people agreeing with the statement put forward by Warburton happen to be from OS.

Most of the people disagreeing with the statement happen to be of a domestic audience, that have disliked the series in general because it's equal parts spectacle and sport, and they don't like that.

It's all personal opinion, we're gonna run in circles all day with it.
Old 20 May 2016, 02:58 (Ref:3643073)   #97
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's actually pretty damn sad to see so many people that actively want to the series to fail or talk a whole bunch of negative stuff about it, when it is in fact, one of the best series in the world(it's certainly the best Touring Car series int he world.)
Old 20 May 2016, 03:23 (Ref:3643077)   #98
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So the point you have conveniently side stepped is that first it was a Sierra, then it was the GT-R, and if you did not have THAT car, you could not win a DAMN THING. Peter Brock showed up in a Sierra for god's sake.

Group A was never a level playing field where anybody could turn up and hope to win anything.

Yeah.... OKAY
Another way of looking at it is that the variety of ATCC and Bathurst Winning teams was greater under 8 seasons of Group A than the past 8 seasons of V8 Supercars.
Old 20 May 2016, 03:36 (Ref:3643085)   #99
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Another way of looking at it is that the variety of ATCC and Bathurst Winning teams was greater under 8 seasons of Group A than the past 8 seasons of V8 Supercars.
wow a stats game, in 8 years of group A we had 9 different round winners total, and in no year did we have more than 4 different round winners.

V8 supercars 2016, 8 different round winners already after 9 rounds
Old 20 May 2016, 03:39 (Ref:3643086)   #100
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Here's the thing.

Most of the people agreeing with the statement put forward by Warburton happen to be from OS.

Most of the people disagreeing with the statement happen to be of a domestic audience, that have disliked the series in general because it's equal parts spectacle and sport, and they don't like that.

It's all personal opinion, we're gonna run in circles all day with it.
Final line is spot on. Can only speak for myself, I think the series is fantastic, high quality stuff, but I don't think it's wise to sit back and say "There, job done".

It could be an Australian thing, it could just be me, but the jobs never done, it can always be better, there is always progress to be made and statements like that (Warburtons) always seem be followed by a phase of stagnation or a slowing of pace. It doesn't matter if it's a company, an individual, a sporting team, a band, etc.

I get excited by statements like "We're doing great and here's how we're going to do even better" and worried by statements like "We are the best".