Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Dec 2013, 04:36 (Ref:3345790)   #2376
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownj View Post
Fair point. My premise was not correct.

But it does not change the fact that it makes the 911-EVO eligible for 2014 AM class competition. For an AM team to run a brand new 2014 spec car against other teams with older spec cars would go against the rules of the class. If that is allowed, then they might as well toss the rule out.
The 911 EVO as you call it, IS a 2014 spec car!

http://sportscar365.com/wec/porsche-...sr-in-bahrain/

Same as a C7.R would be.

L.P.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 04:41 (Ref:3345791)   #2377
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the bigger issue with the C7.R is that no 2013-spec exists for the car, since 2014 will be its first season of racing. At the bare minimum the 911 RSR, 458 Italia and Vantage GTE have raced last year.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3345884)   #2378
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I think the bigger issue with the C7.R is that no 2013-spec exists for the car, since 2014 will be its first season of racing. At the bare minimum the 911 RSR, 458 Italia and Vantage GTE have raced last year.
Exactly.

All 3 of those cars raced in 2013 in the spec that will be allowed in GTE-AM for 2014. The C7.R has not. If Corvette Racing had decided to do the same thing as Porsche and do a one-off and enter a C7.R at Bahrain, then I wouldn't be arguing this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
The 911 EVO as you call it, IS a 2014 spec car!

http://sportscar365.com/wec/porsche-...sr-in-bahrain/

Same as a C7.R would be.
Not sure why they refer to it as a 2014 car in that article. The homologation is based on the 2013 car.

The 911 has updates, but is still the car raced in 2013. The C7.R is an entirely new car compared to the C6.R.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3345941)   #2379
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The C7R being a new car though, and Labre not being a full factory team...could Labre not put forward a good case that having such a new car, with its teething issues and all, could negate the advantage of being a more recent model?

If I was an AM entrant who had just invested in the 2013 spec 991, I'd still be much more confident in that choice than a C7R and I'm not sure I'd bother fighting it.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3345946)   #2380
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
The spec is a year old, not the cars. I believe alot of the GTE-Am cars were new build cars but to the previous year's spec.
...which seems to me is a violation of the spirit of the rule, if not the letter. Either require used cars or chuck the rule entirely.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3345950)   #2381
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/br...ytona-sebring/
So, what do you guys think of Briscoe and Liddell joining Corvette?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3345972)   #2382
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They are both good drivers!

L.P.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3346026)   #2383
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm honestly unsure. Briscoe doesn't have any GT experience, so he's an unknown. Liddell ran pretty well at Petit Le Mans and, though he seemed to struggle a bit in one of his stints,the Vette and the Ferrari are two very different cars, so he might be good.

Leaving Westbrook and Taylor in at Le Mans is nothing short of crazy. No matter how good they are, they won't be as familiar with the car as they need to be to be competitive in GTE. (Yes, I know Briscoe's Indycar ride would make Le Mans impossible.)

I'm wondering why they only mention Sebring and Daytona, with no mention of PLM. Is this, perhaps, only temporary?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3346113)   #2384
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Briscoe has been a pretty solid co-driver in the V8SC and those are supposed to be much harder cars for people to jump into and is a very rough-and-tumble sort of field, so my only question with him his how well he adapts to be overtaken by the P-classes.

Liddell should do fine, he went ok in the Risi car and he is comfortable at night and good in the rain, both things that are good for endurance drivers to have.

I doubt Chevy would just throw them in the cars if they hadn't done well in testing anyway.

As for Westbrook and Taylor at Le Mans... I'm not worried about Westbrook, we have seen him hop into cars with which he has very little seat time and do a good job. Taylor is the one I'd worry about more out of the two of them, but I think last season has done a lot for his confidence/mindset and I expect he will do fine.

I do agree it would be more ideal to have a year-long endurance lineup, but given the driver market situation with TUSCC I would think options are quite limited, and with so many lineups unannounced we really don't know who is available anyways.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3346148)   #2385
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Briscoe has been a pretty solid co-driver in the V8SC and those are supposed to be much harder cars for people to jump into and is a very rough-and-tumble sort of field, so my only question with him his how well he adapts to be overtaken by the P-classes.

Liddell should do fine, he went ok in the Risi car and he is comfortable at night and good in the rain, both things that are good for endurance drivers to have.

I doubt Chevy would just throw them in the cars if they hadn't done well in testing anyway.

As for Westbrook and Taylor at Le Mans... I'm not worried about Westbrook, we have seen him hop into cars with which he has very little seat time and do a good job. Taylor is the one I'd worry about more out of the two of them, but I think last season has done a lot for his confidence/mindset and I expect he will do fine.

I do agree it would be more ideal to have a year-long endurance lineup, but given the driver market situation with TUSCC I would think options are quite limited, and with so many lineups unannounced we really don't know who is available anyways.
Indeed, I'm fairly optimistic about them hiring Liddell, and the only real question about Briscoe is how he adapts, as you pointed out. Still very nervous, though.

Also still not liking the Le Mans set up. I've been worried for a while that Corvette Racing might have to do something like this because of drivers being in short supply.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 15:37 (Ref:3346340)   #2386
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
2014 Hennessy Corvette hits 200 MPH while testing Texas Toll System...

http://jalopnik.com/watch-hennesseys...xas-1484896822
Old 20 Dec 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3346385)   #2387
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
2014 Hennessy Corvette hits 200 MPH while testing Texas Toll System...

http://jalopnik.com/watch-hennesseys...xas-1484896822
Only 200mph? quite disappointing for an Hennessey model
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3346484)   #2388
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Only 200mph? quite disappointing for an Hennessey model
What do you expect? It's still a Chevy, the ford went much faster than that

Now if only they could make a race car of it
Old 23 Dec 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3347318)   #2389
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
What do you expect? It's still a Chevy, the ford went much faster than that
Of course, Chevy actually knows how to make cars that can turn corners...
Old 2 Jan 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3349714)   #2390
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Looks as if the C7.R will still be a Velocity Yellow base colored livery.

http://nasportscar.com/wp-content/up...-R-at-ROAR.jpg

L.P.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3349719)   #2391
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Looks as if the C7.R will still be a Velocity Yellow base colored livery.
With red mirrors (like everyone else in the class).

Wonder if the cammo will peel off?
Old 3 Jan 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3349858)   #2392
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States

http://sportscar365.com/features/pho...rsday-gallery/

Bodywork looking a lot more final
Old 3 Jan 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3349866)   #2393
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
It's going to be hard getting used to those skinny tires after the recent fat tire fun.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3349906)   #2394
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Those tires look anything but skinny. Unless you mean the sidewall.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3350672)   #2395
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
ยท Corvette Racing has had a productive Roar Before The 24 test, logging more miles and data with their brand-new C7.Rs. Program manager Doug Fehan gave RACER his assessment of the progress they've made and revealed an interesting nugget on the car's camo testing livery.

“We're here primarily to work on durability and reliability,” he said. “Without that, you've got nothing and it doesn't matter how fast you go. So we're paying a lot of attention to that. We've got a whole book to write on chassis and aero. All in all, it's been helpful being here, but for comparisons with our C7.Rs to the other cars at this point, it's hard to tell. We'll go out, run a fast lap, then everyone else in our class is careful not to go any faster. You know how that game goes. You always expect that. It's too early to judge who brought what, but it's safe to say everyone has made improvements.”

The Corvettes have run at the test in their camo vinyl wrap, and the proper livery is set to be revealed next week at the North American International Auto Show. Fehan revealed no livery work will be required after the test – the C7.Rs have been running with them the whole time. “If you look at the bodywork seams you can see the yellow. We knew we wouldn't have time after the test to do it, so we did the cars before the test and wrapped them with the camo. All we have to do is peel it off when we get back!”
Old 7 Jan 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3351172)   #2396
alless
Rookie

alless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's going to be hard getting used to those skinny tires after the recent fat tire fun.
skinny tires? huh??
Old 7 Jan 2014, 17:25 (Ref:3351296)   #2397
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by alless View Post
skinny tires? huh??
What I meant was that for the past few years the trend was to keep making the tires fatter and fatter. Rears on the front, extended flares, etc. and now the trend is going the other way. Only skinnier in reference to the max fats, not skinny in comparison to a road tire. They are still big tires.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3351298)   #2398
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't that just the prototypes? Haven't heard of GT's going back to smaller tires.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3351348)   #2399
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Isn't that just the prototypes? Haven't heard of GT's going back to smaller tires.
I may be mistaken. I was thinking it was all of the ACO/FIA-related (GTLM) classes.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3351353)   #2400
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I may be mistaken. I was thinking it was all of the ACO/FIA-related (GTLM) classes.
Well, you are right with the street car! They are quite a bit narrower than the C6's.