Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jul 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2735769)   #101
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
In the first case, seems Penske read the rulebook, much like Porsche does. Was it expressly illegal to build that umm "stock block" Benz engine? No, but the "Spirit" of the rules...
"Spirit". I stopped reading there. The spirit of the rules is what is written down. If something should not be done, it should be expressly stated that it's illegal or banned.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2735855)   #102
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
I fail to see how impressive it is to recognize a P 1 car as an "overall winner". It's the most advanced race car in every aspect on the grid, it damn well better win overall. This is like recognizing a 16 year old little leaguer for winning a home run contest against 10 year olds.
I disagree as you can't hold a multi-class race without an overall winner. Someone has to complete the most laps and they are the overall winner. Otherwise you would just have multiple races.

The manufacturers knew the score before they entered the game. However, I believe they deserve more air time and the ALMS should provide that.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2735856)   #103
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Easy, old timer. DOn't blow up your ticker. I'll find a HSR race for you to go to, so you can sit around and talk about the good ol' days with everyone else who spends more time living in the past and being bitter about the present and future than just understanding and accepting it.
Don't down historic racing, it's wonderful. That won't make you any friends around here either.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2735906)   #104
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, then why was the BMW restrictor adjusted for Le Mans? I asked a real question! Where are the #s posted for the LMS or Le Mans, otherwise it is an asumption that they are running to strictly ACO regs. And that is something I am not fully prepared to take as gospel without some way of verification.
I am not saying you are wrong, just not totally convinced that the ACO/LMS tell all!!

L.P.
Pretty hard to find all the waivers they grant. Giuseppe Risi claims the new Corvette's-built last year had over 30 waivers---he claimed Ferrari had one and Porsche two--who knows?----I believe BMW also has a boat load.
Any one know where to find all the waivers?
Phrases like this in the ALMS Sebring sups are amusing.........

All cars must meet all ACO Technical specifications (subject to Attachment 2 of the ALMS SSR) with the exception of the Doran Designs Ford GT
Old 30 Jul 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2735921)   #105
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSR88 View Post
Pretty hard to find all the waivers they grant. Giuseppe Risi claims the new Corvette's-built last year had over 30 waivers---he claimed Ferrari had one and Porsche two--who knows?----I believe BMW also has a boat load.
Any one know where to find all the waivers?
Phrases like this in the ALMS Sebring sups are amusing.........

All cars must meet all ACO Technical specifications (subject to Attachment 2 of the ALMS SSR) with the exception of the Doran Designs Ford GT

You will not find homologation criteria in the public eye! Adjustment to those can be found for the ALMS in the IMSA rules and bulletins , LMS is not available.
As to your amusement with the Doran, it is an ALMS homologated car therefore no ACO homologation so ACO rules do not strictly apply (I believe). But it is not the first time that something that was not legal in ACO racing was legal in the ALMS. MC12......

L.P.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2735966)   #106
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Viper Competition Coupe...
Old 30 Jul 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2735978)   #107
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Don't down historic racing, it's wonderful. That won't make you any friends around here either.

I think a read something that said nobody gives a "d" about HSR because people are there to admire other people's classic racing hardware. That same somebody said he wouldn't pay to watch HSR for that reason and I would agree.

I would say HSR is taken a bit more seriously in Europe.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2736044)   #108
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No ones "downing" historic racing but it is called historic racing for a reason, yes?
Old 30 Jul 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2736089)   #109
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Easy, old timer. DOn't blow up your ticker. I'll find a HSR race for you to go to, so you can sit around and talk about the good ol' days with everyone else who spends more time living in the past and being bitter about the present and future than just understanding and accepting it.
Come on little fella, you are the one who is talking about going back to to early sixties scoring so prove your point, assuming you have a point.

Your responses indicated you are clueless as to proving your rhetoric so I will take it for granted you are simply hot air.
You are just another troll.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 05:23 (Ref:2736201)   #110
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Hey Bob I still love ya...
Old 31 Jul 2010, 06:14 (Ref:2736210)   #111
Racer

Quote:
Hey Bob I still love ya...

Well if that's not a ringing endorsement...
Old 31 Jul 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2736223)   #112
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSR88 View Post
...with the exception of the Doran Designs Ford GT
What makes it non-ACO legal?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2736432)   #113
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think the road car has been out of production for too long.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2736707)   #114
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think the road car has been out of production for too long.
Its design is timeless however and even the old car still stirs the soul.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2736732)   #115
Racer

Quote:
Its design is timeless however and even the old car still stirs the soul.
Yeah, who cares about the rule book.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 02:52 (Ref:2736874)   #116
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Well if that's not a ringing endorsement...
Come little fella, you flatulate all over this forum with your keyboard, now back up your hot air with some proof.

Any damned fool can attack other posters, when that one cannot prove his rhetoric, and so far that makes you a very damned fool.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 03:32 (Ref:2736886)   #117
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Come little fella, you flatulate all over this forum with your keyboard, now back up your hot air with some proof.

Any damned fool can attack other posters, when that one cannot prove his rhetoric, and so far that makes you a very damned fool.
Bob, what does that say about someone who's constant battle cry is "back in 1962 we didn't do that and it was a REAL sport"?

Or someone who, ironically, just throws out insults to people who choose to recognize the sport for what it is in it's present form than ***** and whine about how much better the good ol' days were?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 04:08 (Ref:2736907)   #118
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Bob, what does that say about someone who's constant battle cry is "back in 1962 we didn't do that and it was a REAL sport"?

Or someone who, ironically, just throws out insults to people who choose to recognize the sport for what it is in it's present form than ***** and whine about how much better the good ol' days were?
Come on sonny boy, you are the boy stuck in the past, who so boldly said they should score as was done and rejected in the early sixties. (Don't know where you came up with '62 but I imagine you are infatuated with that number.)

Your posts are like cotton candy little kids eat, a lot of air and no real substance, and this is not only in sports cars but you seem to have anointed yourself as a flatulating king of multiple forum areas.

If you have a point make it.
If you do not agree with another's point address the subject and support, your rhetoric.
If you think attacking posters, when you have no basis for your rhetoric, makes you an authority, you will be treated like a silly snot-nosed little boy that your rhetoric seems to say you are.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 04:13 (Ref:2736909)   #119
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Come on sonny boy, you are the boy stuck in the past, who so boldly said they should score as was done and rejected in the early sixties. (Don't know where you came up with '62 but I imagine you are infatuated with that number.)

Your posts are like cotton candy little kids eat, a lot of air and no real substance, and this is not only in sports cars but you seem to have anointed yourself as a flatulating king of multiple forum areas.

If you have a point make it.
If you do not agree with another's point address the subject and support, your rhetoric.
If you think attacking posters, when you have no basis for your rhetoric, makes you an authority, you will be treated like a silly snot-nosed little boy that your rhetoric seems to say you are.
If I ever need an authority on what it was like to run Sebring in 1968, you're my man, Bob.

Until then, you're missing the Price is Right.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2736917)   #120
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
If I ever need an authority on what it was like to run Sebring in 1968, you're my man, Bob.

Until then, you're missing the Price is Right.
Keep on trying little fella, but as I think your mommy's calling, I won't waste any more time with you as that might upset your mother.
Fini
Old 1 Aug 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2737050)   #121
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
You will not find homologation criteria in the public eye! Adjustment to those can be found for the ALMS in the IMSA rules and bulletins , LMS is not available.
As to your amusement with the Doran, it is an ALMS homologated car therefore no ACO homologation so ACO rules do not strictly apply (I believe). But it is not the first time that something that was not legal in ACO racing was legal in the ALMS. MC12......

L.P.
And that the root of the problem, if you make the rules then you should have the balls to stick to them.

if everytime a whinging team owner comes a knocking you grant them a perfomance break the arms race will be ramped up.

If the rules are **** then the off season is the time to fix it. Some cars are beeter than others, some teams are better than others
Old 1 Aug 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2737079)   #122
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Bob, every time I read one of your posts, it amazes me at how little you understand about the industry today.

It's not a sport like it was back in your day. That should be the first thing you learn.

But the overall winner is still the winner - and always will be. Sorry, Bob is right on this one. (IMO).

However - it's time to can the to-ing and fro-ing of the personal insults - tame though they may be at this point. Otherwise if you don't play nicely the bat comes out - you know who you are guys.......
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2737507)   #123
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
And that the root of the problem, if you make the rules then you should have the balls to stick to them.

if everytime a whinging team owner comes a knocking you grant them a perfomance break the arms race will be ramped up.

If the rules are **** then the off season is the time to fix it. Some cars are beeter than others, some teams are better than others
Then maybe one should read the rules, as they do stick to them! The ability to make adjustments to them is built in.

Has not happened so far, especially when compared to Le Rat's offerings.

Waiting until the off season is wrong, IMO, look at the static imbalance of diesel vs petrol for seasons. When it could be more easily dealt with had it been adjusted out during the season, but no.....

L.P.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2737538)   #124
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entire premise of the "overall winner versus class winner" argument is faulty. The ALMS has never officially recognized an overall winner. No podium ceremony, no trophy, no points kept.

To the extent one is recognized it is "unofficially" by participants and fans; you sure as hell can't do a "brainwash" to stop them from doing so.

During 2007 and 2008, when LMP1 and 2 were "balanced," a publication, recognizing reality, applied the ALMS points formula to "overall finishes" and awarded a plaque to the season champion drivers and manufacturer. I've been told by more than one the of drivers who won that it "occupies a prominent place on my wall/amongst my trophies."

What that reflects is that drivers (and teams), treated a class win that was not an overall win as a "consolation prize." There are plenty of quotes from drivers and other participants over that period (some made off the record, and others which the "house pet racing media" wouldn't dare publish since it conflicted with the "company line") that reflect their feelings.

You can argue all you want about "official class wins," but at some point reality sets in.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2737572)   #125
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
The entire premise of the "overall winner versus class winner" argument is faulty. The ALMS has never officially recognized an overall winner. No podium ceremony, no trophy, no points kept.

To the extent one is recognized it is "unofficially" by participants and fans; you sure as hell can't do a "brainwash" to stop them from doing so.

During 2007 and 2008, when LMP1 and 2 were "balanced," a publication, recognizing reality, applied the ALMS points formula to "overall finishes" and awarded a plaque to the season champion drivers and manufacturer. I've been told by more than one the of drivers who won that it "occupies a prominent place on my wall/amongst my trophies."

What that reflects is that drivers (and teams), treated a class win that was not an overall win as a "consolation prize." There are plenty of quotes from drivers and other participants over that period (some made off the record, and others which the "house pet racing media" wouldn't dare publish since it conflicted with the "company line") that reflect their feelings.

You can argue all you want about "official class wins," but at some point reality sets in.

The word Lemming comes to mind when the subject of 'brainwashing' comes along. The media is guilty of fostering this view with their constant 'The Overall Leader Is'... and most video broadcasts always concentrate the viewing on them! This is multi class Sportscar racing and most if not all fans realize this.
I also find it impossible to believe that Johnny O, Oliver Gavin, Pat Long, Jamie Melo etc... think they are recieving nothing more than just a boobie prize!!!

L.P.