Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2011, 02:37 (Ref:3000023)   #101
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlex View Post
Jeremy, strider, in italian it is pronounced "Ricchiardo", with the double c lasting longer...
There you are thank you...
Old 15 Dec 2011, 10:33 (Ref:3000127)   #102
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
There you are thank you...
That's how it is pronounced in Italian, it's just that he doesn't pronounce it like that.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 23:52 (Ref:3000522)   #103
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlex View Post
Jeremy, strider, in italian it is pronounced "Ricchiardo", with the double c lasting longer...
Interesting. I have a friend whose wife is Italian and teaches the language over here in the UK. Basically, she agrees with you, but might agree with him that the 'i; if not silent is kind of merged.

Then, of course we have the question of Rubens' surname. When he was living in Cambridge I discussed this with a Brazilian friend of his who was sharing his house and went on to be British F3 champion. He was adamant that the last two syllables should pronounced in the same way as 'cello' in English.

I think Rubens himself gave up when he went to drive for Ferrari, because the 'ch' would be hard in Italian and thus it has remained.

Sorry for wandering off-topic.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 00:06 (Ref:3000532)   #104
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We can call them Rubens and Daniel.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 00:28 (Ref:3000545)   #105
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That would be much simpler.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 00:42 (Ref:3000554)   #106
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh and here (TV, everywhere) we always pronounce "kello" (i guess like in italian)
Old 16 Dec 2011, 16:13 (Ref:3000855)   #107
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, as touched on above, the Italian pronunciation is Reech-ardo. The two vowels make a single sound. You often hear the first bit of Fabrizio Giovanardi's name here pronounced 'Gee-o', when it is just 'Jo' (I am a language teacher).
Old 16 Dec 2011, 16:25 (Ref:3000863)   #108
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In English, the name is probably most accurately translated as 'Just another Aussie loser'.

Wake me up when he wins something in F1, why doncha?

Surely the leading Aussie in International motorsports is Marcus Ambrose....

Last edited by Clive Brown; 16 Dec 2011 at 16:32.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 00:07 (Ref:3001048)   #109
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Marcus Ambrose

Marcos

Better that I leave it at that.

Old 17 Dec 2011, 00:33 (Ref:3001054)   #110
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure if that was a troll or...
Old 19 Dec 2011, 01:31 (Ref:3001697)   #111
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
In English, the name is probably most accurately translated as 'Just another Aussie loser'.

Wake me up when he wins something in F1, why doncha?

Surely the leading Aussie in International motorsports is Marcus Ambrose....
Well in Australia we use the name "clive brown" as a euphemism for having a **** "Just ducking out to drop off the Clive Browns, be back in 5"
Old 19 Dec 2011, 09:11 (Ref:3001785)   #112
St00ge
Veteran

was in jest to all those taking it too seriously
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:17 (Ref:3002095)   #113
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The fact that we have two Australian drivers in F1 is fantastic considering the small population, maybe you should be celebrating this point ?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 06:19 (Ref:3002115)   #114
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The fact that we have two Australian drivers in F1 is fantastic considering the small population, maybe you should be celebrating this point ?

Not as impressive as Finland having 2 F1 drivers (next year) with their small population (less than 1/4 of Australia's!!)
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:14 (Ref:3002121)   #115
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:

yeah whatever
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:24 (Ref:3002123)   #116
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Spot on Jeremy, well said and kudos to Finland too.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 20:11 (Ref:3002404)   #117
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
besides, 2X MotoGPchampion Casey Stoner would be the leading Aussie on the international stage at the moment....
Old 21 Dec 2011, 00:30 (Ref:3002491)   #118
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Not to get off the subject but he drove a V8 Supercar recently, and his times were really impressive..
Old 21 Dec 2011, 00:37 (Ref:3002493)   #119
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Not as impressive as Finland having 2 F1 drivers (next year) with their small population (less than 1/4 of Australia's!!)
Yes that is quite something I agree...
Old 21 Dec 2011, 02:11 (Ref:3002515)   #120
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I think it is safe to say Finland has a much larger motorsport culture but the number of world class drivers they produce, particularly in rallying is very impressive. Some of my favourite drivers, (Henri Toivonen in particular) come from that neck of the woods.

Still 2 drivers from Australia is impressive.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 09:32 (Ref:3003073)   #121
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
There is an answer to why there has hardly been any Australians, nor New Zealanders over the past years, and it's quite simply, not enough backing - sponsorship. Since Australia and New Zealand is so far away from Europe it requires a lot of money to just move over there and begin your european career, and with no serious backers that's why you see so many young talents pack up and return or go to America after 2 or 3 seasons. There is no doubt the likes of Ricciardo would never of even reached Formula Renault 3.5 or possibly even BF3 without Red Bull picking him up. They can't even afford to be in race winning teams (Ricciardo for example raced for RP Motorsport in RF Italia and an average team in FBMW Asia), which is why you don't see many winning in categories. It's quite sad but it's reality. Richie Stanaway and Mitch Evens for New Zealand both are extremely talented and have had pretty good backing so far. Evens has the Mark Webber tie up and Stanaway has good backing so far it seems, but don't be surprised if they can't make that next step due to money reasons, and end up in V8 Supercars or in America. In this case i think Mitch Evens will crack F1 he seems special so far from what I've seen, but I think Richie will struggle unless he gets picked up by someone his money won't keep him progressing for much longer. It's so essential these days.

That's why it's flooded with Europeans. It's in your backyard and there is such big motorsport interest. Plus can't hide the fact they're good drivers anyway. But i think you can see what i'm getting at here.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 11:53 (Ref:3003146)   #122
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
There is an answer to why there has hardly been any Australians, nor New Zealanders over the past years, and it's quite simply, not enough backing - sponsorship. Since Australia and New Zealand is so far away from Europe it requires a lot of money to just move over there and begin your european career, and with no serious backers that's why you see so many young talents pack up and return or go to America after 2 or 3 seasons.
ok, but it's the same initial cost for the brazilians and south americans, the japanese, the asians, the south africans, the finnish... at least aussie and kiwi drivers speak the language and the culture isn't much different!

i get that there's not much cash flying around australia for motorsports... so what do the sons of business owners do with their spare time in australia? where do australian businesses invest their sponsorship money, it can't just be the v8s? are australian businesses less successful than their european counterparts?
Old 23 Dec 2011, 02:59 (Ref:3003438)   #123
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
ok, but it's the same initial cost for the brazilians and south americans, the japanese, the asians, the south africans, the finnish... at least aussie and kiwi drivers speak the language and the culture isn't much different!

i get that there's not much cash flying around australia for motorsports... so what do the sons of business owners do with their spare time in australia? where do australian businesses invest their sponsorship money, it can't just be the v8s? are australian businesses less successful than their european counterparts?

Motorsport isn't big enough in Australia, well compared to Australia's favourite sports. We are much more interested in AFL, Rugby, and behind them is Cricket, and then another step would be Soccer and Motorsport. I see those other nations as u named (i assume) have a much bigger interest in motorsport than Australia does. V8's is popular but nothing like Rugby, AFL, Cricket brings to the table. Motorsport is definitely growing in numbers here though thanks to our internationals doing well, Webber, Casey, Ambrose ect. Ricciardo can bring it to another level if he manages to be able to win the championship in the future. All Aussies need is another Casey in F1 and at the moment Ricciardo is our best chance. I can't see Webber doing it.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 08:25 (Ref:3003470)   #124
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Ricciardo can bring it to another level if he manages to be able to win the championship in the future. All Aussies need is another Casey in F1 and at the moment Ricciardo is our best chance.
Can't see the intrest in motorsport progressing much in Oz then
Old 23 Dec 2011, 10:28 (Ref:3003499)   #125
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
All Aussies need is another Casey in F1 and at the moment Ricciardo is our best chance. I can't see Webber doing it.
what do you think it is about webber that hasn't captured the national imagination? do you think it would take a multi-talented uber-marketable jaime alguersuari type to do it, or is it just someone the young can relate to?