Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3874285)   #251
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m dreaming of a newer tractor unit and posher trailer, Max. So if they ever happen (no lotto win yet) I’ll give you first refusal!

And more important than having someone to wash it is having somewhere to park it....

As for road cars, I get zero enjoyment driving on the UK road network, so anything exotic would be a complete waste.
My new truck is quite nice to drive apart from having the equivalent of my wife living in the dashboard. If i brake too heavily, don't let it coast long enough or don't use the jake brake enough it flashes a nagging message up on the dash. It does work though as I have modified my driving somewhat to keep her happy.
As for my road cars, my Landcruiser hits 20 this year and my Mondeo is 14 and both going strong apart from maybe a new clutch and flywheel soon in the Mondeo, that should more than triple the value of the car
Old 6 Jan 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3874292)   #252
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a rather sweet spot for cars in the late 90s early 00s IMO.

Good performance available, decent engineering and bodywork quality and interior comfort that is enough for most needs. Late 00s started to get a bit too trick with engines and thus the cost of maintenance. And a lot if expensive gizmos in the electronics and what has morphed into the modern era 'entertainment' system.

My Saab will be 17 years registered in April and I will have owned it for 14.5 of those years.

All of the identifiable mechanical service bits that were looking rather aged have been replaced. It's about 9 or 10 years since it last had an exhaust but at the moment it is, I am told, good for a while yet. That despite rarely doing any usefully long runs.

I have if booked in for some preventative rust proofing treatment next month. It might not triple the value but should prevent any chance of early demise based on underside corrosion.

All I need now is a 'fashion' based LED colour programmable interior lighting 'mood' retro fit kit and, apparently, connection to Apple Play and the Android something and a reversing camera and my car will have all of the important things that are necessary for road travel in the modern era.

Personally I think that a drone, which could be sent for supplies when interred on a Motorway for a few hours while those who manage the roads deal with in 'incident', would be more useful but maybe the mood lighting would come into play at that point. And the music if i get bored with the CD selection.

On the other hand avoiding the delays by avoiding as many journeys as possible may be a more sensible approach ...
Old 6 Jan 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3874298)   #253
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I have no more truck, think last one was an Opel Blitz… My wagon is large enough to make some tests. I put dogs and wife in the trunk, drive hundreds miles flat out and check who is glad to see me when opening the rear door. Dogs always win. Happy pets!
Gérard, ex-Talbot driver!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3874337)   #254
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A road car is a tool do a job, as long as it starts when I want it to, and stops when I need it to, not a lot else in between is of critical importance. I would never own/drive any car for what it could do for my 'image', only because it was fun to drive. My best 'image' car was an Alfa Romeo Veloce, however, despite being able to overtake rather well it handled like a bowl of soup, (as Innes Ireland put it.)
To be honest I never could afford anything really posh anyway.
I spotted just the classic for you today, Bob - a Nova with a boot. It's so long since I last saw one I can't remember if it had a different name to the Nova hatch.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3874349)   #255
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I spotted just the classic for you today, Bob - a Nova with a boot. It's so long since I last saw one I can't remember if it had a different name to the Nova hatch.
The Opel version of the booted one was much more popular and more regularly seen than the Vauxhall version.

I remember some trips to a client in Amsterdam where one of the project team had one. If we were heading out in the evening looking for somewhere to eat in the city we would often take his car as he lived there (others commuted in daily) and his was the smallest car, despite the boot, so more likely to be able to find and squeeze into a canal side parking space.

My Wife had a Nova hatch ( 2 in fact, but not at the same time) for several years after she eventually learned to drive. Not a bad little thing for running the kids to school and back. Quite low mileage recorded on the first one but all of the markings on the steering column switchgear were well worn.

Apparently the previous owner was en elderly gentleman and a pigeon fancier (or bird spotter or something) and used to head out a short way into the country and sit there all day watching critters. Presumably fondling the steering column stalks at the same time.

Or, of course, the story could have been a very dodgy tale to cover up some other reason for the strange wear. Only the stalks were affected.

It served well enough for a while until we updated to a newer and better model. Bigger engine and bigger wheels. One previous lady owner. No wear on the steering column stalks.

It's funny what one remembers after many years after the smallest of promptings.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 22:36 (Ref:3874350)   #256
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Do you remember how they use to check the chassis weldings, rather prone to break?

As no-one has commented was this the tale I heard some time ago that the tubular frame was pressurised with a gauge on the dash and the firm instruction that if the pressure dropped, it meant PIT immediately?

Fond memories of the 944 Turbo - our first race car when we converted milady's son's 200K mile roadcar for CSCC Future Classics. Great road car and a fun race car even for on old fogie like me.

Lucky up this end of UK - we still have a few opportunities to have some fun drives......but I'm still a strong advocate of bangernomics - our two cars are a recently acquired 2010 Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon 2.0 diesel, and a 2001 Alfa 156 2.5 V6 saloon - the busso V6 is still a beayty and fun to drive!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 03:11 (Ref:3874386)   #257
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
As no-one has commented was this the tale I heard some time ago that the tubular frame was pressurised with a gauge on the dash and the firm instruction that if the pressure dropped, it meant PIT immediately?

Yes, I think it was Brian Redman who was said to have commented during early testing, when he was told that should the pressure drop he should slow immediately and return to the pits..... he replied along the lines of 'if I see the pressure drop im parking the pharking thing at the side of the track and you can collect it yourselves! '

Last edited by E.B; 7 Jan 2019 at 03:29.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 05:31 (Ref:3874395)   #258
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Yop, Lanc's! When the chassis were ready to go, they welded a tyre valve allowing to "inflate" the tubes and a pressure gauge. Any loss in pressure meant a crack somewhere. Probably not used during the race but rather when piting or checking.

Why did they imagine this safety mesure? Historians can answer. R to the single 906, its almost impossible to trace the chassis numbers and to accurately make a correspondance with a car. Dont count on works archives, because it seems someone didn't want to reveal the real cost of racing to the management board. And didn't want to bother explaining why the same car could need several chassis without any accident. Hairy men Herr!

Last edited by Gerard C; 7 Jan 2019 at 05:37.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 05:48 (Ref:3874399)   #259
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Another good one, E.B! Seems few drivers have been speaking their truth, like Derek Warwick about his Toleman. Still, because there are some Capri fans in the area I'd say one of my favorite interview remains John Fitzpatrick's https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...r-vs-batmobile

Can you imagine such words nowadays? Modern drivers, French put apart, always speak the same: we had very good pit stops, car was fantastic, strategy perfect, not mentioning the wonderful tires and the gorgeous girl holding the mike for me! Even when they had to drive a piece of s... mounted on quickly wrecked tires!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3874400)   #260
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Lanc's because you're obviously an Alfa fan I can't tell you what admiration I had about the 33 TT 12. My former boss use to have one - probably a GELO but not sure - but I was impossible to fix it properly and bring her back on the track. As to the tubular frame, Alfa boys had an effective technique to spot any failure in the chassis. Warm oil leak meant a crack on the right side, warm water leak meant a crack on the left side. Easy inspection was made on the driver's legs!! Wattacar specially when Arturo was the ban leader!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 07:35 (Ref:3874405)   #261
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Back to trucks parking near Dover . Watching the news they said trucks will leave the airfield then park up at another bonding area before being let down to the port . So where is this holding area . Let’s hope none of this happens .
Old 7 Jan 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3874407)   #262
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Can you imagine such words nowadays? Modern drivers, French put apart, always speak the same: we had very good pit stops, car was fantastic, strategy perfect, not mentioning the wonderful tires and the gorgeous girl holding the mike for me! Even when they had to drive a piece of s... mounted on quickly wrecked tires!
Dont forget to thank all the wonderful fans, the best in the world, (not to mention listing the sponsors names, car manufacturer etc) It is all a bit PC and Corporate nowadays.

Can you imagine an F1 driver now with 'Sex is the breakfast of Champions' on his overalls? Or 'Sex is a high performance thing.'

Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3874409)   #263
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Can you imagine an F1 driver now with 'Sex is the breakfast of Champions' on his overalls? Or 'Sex is a high performance thing.'
Yes, I can imagine but sadly won't happen! May be only LH had a short talk with his team manager RD through the team radio. I recall some words referring to a finger and travelling …
Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3874410)   #264
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Dont forget to thank all the wonderful fans, the best in the world, (not to mention listing the sponsors names, car manufacturer etc) It is all a bit PC and Corporate nowadays.

At press conference after a round of (from Memory) WSC at Silverstone one of the German press asked Dindo Capello, why he was favouring his right leg, had he injured it? Capello explained that the seat in his Audi was uncomfortable and caused the problem. I grabbed the mic and asked;

"So driving an Audi makes you limp?" The joke had to be explained to the Dindo by his co-driver Alan McNish, but the rest of the room roared with laughter.

However, if you tried that at a GP conference you were in trouble, all questions were bland and repetitious with each journo asking basically the same question in a different form. Sadly my somewhat lighter style meant the compere avoided letting me near the microphone.

Bauble ex-BBC Radio Reporter.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3874412)   #265
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Back to trucks parking near Dover . Watching the news they said trucks will leave the airfield then park up at another bonding area before being let down to the port . So where is this holding area . Let’s hope none of this happens .
Well, an RHA man described the event as ‘Window Dressing’ this morning- IE more government press coverage to show that they are on top of the whole balls up......
Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3874414)   #266
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Autosport next week anyone here? Not that I'm hitch hiking…
Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:39 (Ref:3874415)   #267
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Presume for other’s clarification you’re talking about the NEC Show.

I’m not going.....
Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3874418)   #268
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Got it, thanks anyway. The best would be to buy a ticket for this Friday.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3874460)   #269
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'll be there on Thursday Gerard...
Old 7 Jan 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3874473)   #270
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be at the Autosport show on the Friday if anyone wants to meet up.

With reference to the Nova - when a new version (possibly the booted one??) was introduced around about 1987/88, Vauxhall PR department contacted the Royal Navy to ask for some unusual help in publicizing the launch.

The Fleet Air Arm Field Gun Team were asked to deliver the car to (I think) Vauxhall Underground Station (at least that seems logical, but the memory fades). The delivery was featured on breakfast TV, I think, and involved carrying the car down flights of stairs to the platform. No idea why. A mate of mine was involved.

And for those who doubt the ability of a bunch of Royal Navy ratings to carry a car down several flights of steps this U-Tube video from the Royal Tournament shows what they were trained to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhx6Q3WuvU

Another RN mate of mine was the winning navigator in the Vauxhall Nova rally championship about 1988. he then pace noted for the works team on the RAC Rally as part of his prize.

Must admit I am not a fan of Vauxhalls particularly but the original Nova SRi and 1600 GTE cars were very effective pocket rockets.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3874485)   #271
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fond memories of the 944 Turbo - our first race car when we converted milady's son's 200K mile roadcar for CSCC Future Classics. Great road car and a fun race car even for on old fogie like me.
[/QUOTE]

First car I ever got stopped in for speeding - 204(kph) whilst @ Le Mans.
As usual my mouth made it worse - you only pulled me coz i'm English etc etc, 1000 Franc fine and I saw the error of my ways, happy days.

No need to go to the NEC this year, so i'll just watch it on Eurosport or whatever channel it's on.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3874503)   #272
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
C'on, Fat Clerk, 204 kph means you didn't put the fourth gear of it was the running in period…*You dont go to Autosport because you already got your bespoke balaclavas last year, I presume…

Ha ben non, Viva, le jeudi ce ne sera pas possible pour moi! I was on the "should I stay or should I go" mode but got an appointment to try and find answers to technical questions. Friday was the soonest to get a decent rate for the plane. I guess its impossible for you to stay till Friday or change something to your agenda. Sad!

Andy, this time we should introduce ourselves, only mountains can't meet. I throw you my mobile phone number via PM, my flight should land around 10:10, its a FlyBe one. I'll happily buy the beer or coffee, whatever. Dont tell me about the kind of food we can find there, its not my first visit and more or less same situation in all shows all over the world!

Just hope we dont meet too many french, they are boring, have no education and no culture. OK, if PA exhibits, I'll make and exception to the rule. May be…
Old 7 Jan 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3874517)   #273
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Talking of saloon versions of hatchbacks generally, go to Spain and you’ll find booted versions that you never knew existed. Sure Gordon would be able to name several! Seems that the Spanish just- like them.....
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3874523)   #274
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From what I've been told its related to mothers in law. When using a hatch, anything you put in the luggage compartment can be heard. Loudly sometimes. If you go for trunk version, no more noise!
Its works with Spanish and with Portuguese even better! This gives more work to car makers, they have to invent new names for their cars, R5 becoming R7 - wahoo, soooo clever!- or Siete, sooo exotic. http://www.renault-5.net/siete.htm
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3874525)   #275
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
From what I've been told its related to mothers in law. When using a hatch, anything you put in the luggage compartment can be heard. Loudly sometimes. If you go for trunk version, no more noise!
Its works with Spanish and with Portuguese even better! This gives more work to car makers, they have to invent new names for their cars, R5 becoming R7 - wahoo, soooo clever!- or Siete, sooo exotic. http://www.renault-5.net/siete.htm
The Austin Victoria comes to mind too.
Closed Thread