Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 2021, 05:51 (Ref:4064090)   #2601
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Gerard,

That sounds familiar in many ways ... but it reminded me that earlier this week I bumped into an old work colleague and friend, much to my surprise as I thought he was living in France.

We had time for a short chat and I was amazed to realize that it was 17 years ago that they bought a property to build a business around a fishing lake with accommodation available for offering fishing holidays.

When they decided it was time to reverse their dream it took a long time to sell the property with a French buyer pulling out 3 days before they were due to complete the sales just before Xmas last year.

Fortunately they had a German buyer also interested and the sale was back on within hours but took 6 months to process with considerable income for both the Frenach and German legal representatives and their interpreting services.

He volunteered the information that among the reasons that they decided to sell up was the rising costs of everything and reduction in standards that followed the rising costs. He offered some example of food (vegetables) where the prices sounded high compared to the UK and the quality on offer was very poor for the price. Very different to 17 years ago, in his opinion.

Can that be true for the whole country or was he just unlucky with his location? (I'm not sure where he was - i'll ask him next time I see him.)

The other challenges included getting anyone to quote for work they needed doing. And then getting them to turn up. And if they started a job, getting them to finish it. I would imagine that became more and more of an issue for him during the time they were there as age would be taking its toll on a the ability to keep up with the needs of the business. He has always been someone to pull up his sleeves and get things done. Not so easy as time passes.

Getting building and maintenance work done in France has long been the subject of tales of woe from ex-pats. However, his comments about food standards surprised me.
Nothing poor about the food up here! In fact, the quality of fresh food is excellent, with most of it being grown locally, whether you buy from supermarkets or local markets. Can't comment on prices as I haven't shopped in England for about three years.

Likewise, don't have any complaints about local tradesmen either. Presumably your friend lived in the south?
Old 31 Jul 2021, 10:33 (Ref:4064117)   #2602
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Is Brands Hatch live on any streaming today ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Jul 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4064120)   #2603
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Is Brands Hatch live on any streaming today ?
Was just looking for it - link below - coverage
begins at 12.40h

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8UCnKb_7M
Old 31 Jul 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4064137)   #2604
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
begins at 12.40h

Thank you, it doesn't look good news at the moment !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Jul 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4064144)   #2605
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
begins at 12.40h

It comes up as a private video.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4064150)   #2606
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You need www.youtube.com/c/silverstoneclassic
Old 31 Jul 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4064152)   #2607
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe something to do with a serious crash has caused a halt on proceedings...... a car barrel rolled along the armco barrier at paddock and ended u in the marshall's area from what I saw. It was sadly not good to see.The stream cut away immediately from the scene. Thoughts and prayers for those involved in the incident.

Last edited by E.B; 31 Jul 2021 at 14:52.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 15:00 (Ref:4064163)   #2608
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Maybe something to do with a serious crash has caused a halt on proceedings...... a car barrel rolled along the armco barrier at paddock and ended u in the marshall's area from what I saw. It was sadly not good to see.The stream cut away immediately from the scene. Thoughts and prayers for those involved in the incident.
The proper site, www.youtube.com/c/silverstoneclassic is working perfectly...
Old 31 Jul 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4064184)   #2609
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The proper site, www.youtube.com/c/silverstoneclassic is working perfectly...

John, Gordon was after proceedings at Brands, not Sillystone.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4064222)   #2610
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you, it doesn't look good news at the moment !
Just back from there, pretty horrendous crash on the top straight just before paddock which I believe involved a marshal as well as the driver. Numerous ambulances plus hospital helicopter on circuit, I heard it and saw the extensively damaged vehicle in the armco which had also taken a beating, one of those sickening situations made worse by the torrential rain which set in hampering emergency services. After realising the serious nature of things I decided to head home, given the barrier damage as well as the injuries I would be surprised if any further circuit action takes place today, I'll head back tomorrow.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4064231)   #2611
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Just back from there, pretty horrendous crash on the top straight just before paddock which I believe involved a marshal as well as the driver. Numerous ambulances plus hospital helicopter on circuit, I heard it and saw the extensively damaged vehicle in the armco which had also taken a beating, one of those sickening situations made worse by the torrential rain which set in hampering emergency services. After realising the serious nature of things I decided to head home, given the barrier damage as well as the injuries I would be surprised if any further circuit action takes place today, I'll head back tomorrow.

How things have changed over the years. I vividly recall a race meeting that I was competing in at Brands back in the 60s when I was sat in the drivers' grandstand overlooking Paddock Hill watching some of the races before my event.

When the cars came out for the Modsports race, one of the drivers tried to catch up with the rest after getting in to the collection area very late. As he joined the track from the road from the paddock, he still hadn't strapped himself in, and he overdid Paddock Bend, lost it coming out and slammed straight into the concrete marshals' post that used to be on the inside of the track just before the trees going up the hill towards Druids.

Tragically he was flung out of the car and he lost his life, there and then. He was gently placed in the St John's ambulance and taken away somewhere. And the racing continued as though nothing had happened.

For us drivers who had witnessed the crash, it was a bit difficult to get terribly motivated to drive at ten tenths for our races later.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4064249)   #2612
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Yes I realized what had happened and knew that it had been red flagged. I was planning to go up tomorrow and as I live close enough to Brands I can make my mind up in the morning by looking for the communication tower at the top of Wrotham Hill from my garden, and if I can't see it it's raining up there ! Very technical but it's normally correct
On a more serious note I have only heard through the grapevine what happened and I don't know the state of the injured parties ? and hoping that things might be not as bad as I'm surmising
Old 31 Jul 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4064253)   #2613
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I realized what had happened and knew that it had been red flagged. I was planning to go up tomorrow and as I live close enough to Brands I can make my mind up in the morning by looking for the communication tower at the top of Wrotham Hill from my garden, and if I can't see it it's raining up there ! Very technical but it's normally correct
On a more serious note I have only heard through the grapevine what happened and I don't know the state of the injured parties ? and hoping that things might be not as bad as I'm surmising
Hope to see you tomorrow, I'll be in my usual place BTW the paddock is open to spectators.
I believe the concern is for the marshall involved, always a tragedy when a volunteer is injured, all I have is hearsay so I won't comment any further
Old 31 Jul 2021, 18:18 (Ref:4064262)   #2614
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe the marshal was fatally injured. Terrible, terrible news. There is a video which I'm not going to share.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jul 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4064276)   #2615
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I believe the marshal was fatally injured. Terrible, terrible news. There is a video which I'm not going to share.

I feared so, as I said earlier even viewing from South bank it was a sickening thump. It was a very physical start to the race with contact between several cars at the start and again up at Druids with the early leader being punted off as well but quite how this particular incident was initiated I'm not certain. Very sad.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4064278)   #2616
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to someone that was due to work there, tomorrow has been called off

Old 31 Jul 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4064291)   #2617
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I feared so, as I said earlier even viewing from South bank it was a sickening thump. It was a very physical start to the race with contact between several cars at the start and again up at Druids with the early leader being punted off as well but quite how this particular incident was initiated I'm not certain. Very sad.
I was on South Bank as well and watched the accident happen - horrible, especially with the speed & location of the accident and the damage caused to the steel girders & fencing protecting the marshals' post. If what has been posted here & elsewhere is correct regarding the marshal, their family has my deepest sympathies.

Edited to add - BARC statement: https://www.barc.net/barc-statement/

Last edited by Alfaholic; 31 Jul 2021 at 20:33. Reason: Spelling & link added
Old 31 Jul 2021, 20:12 (Ref:4064292)   #2618
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
According to someone that was due to work there, tomorrow has been called off

I did see a revised timetable published this evening so I think it is happening tomorrow
Old 1 Aug 2021, 01:31 (Ref:4064352)   #2619
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen a Facebook post leading me to the BARC statement.

Desperately sad - we all rely on marshals to be able to go racing, and they should never be at risk. Obviously I have no details of this incident, but am so sorry for the family of the marshal who lost their life supporting our sport. RIP.
Old 1 Aug 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4064412)   #2620
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said, Lancs.

As you say, without the marshalls we would not be able to race.

RIP.
Old 1 Aug 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4064580)   #2621
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Shocking driving, the worst possible outcome. Very sad day. RIP.
Old 1 Aug 2021, 16:49 (Ref:4064632)   #2622
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the driver will never forget the day.
Old 1 Aug 2021, 17:04 (Ref:4064639)   #2623
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem starts with Alan Gow's circus where push to pass, track limits....... in fact just about anything goes.

Until someone recognises this at MUK and then takes a stand with the BTCC this will continue.

My condolences to all those affected
Old 2 Aug 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4064838)   #2624
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was competing at Brands over the weekend, my first thoughts are for the family, friends and fellow marshals, without whom we couldn't race, RIP.

It was a sad day on Saturday, I was in the race before the incident and was at the very bottom of the paddock, so thankfully did not witness what happened. I understand that there is a full investigation being carried out involving Police and HSE, who were at the scene until late on Saturday.

This weekend was my return to racing after a 5 year absence and car rebuild, so I was trepidatious to say the least. I overheated my brakes, so retired with one lap remaining on Saturday. The ensuing events didn't help my nerves, neither did a FB reminder that it had been 5 years since Mike & I won our class in the Tony Dron Trophy in his orange RS2000 at The Silverstone Classic.

I returned on Sunday to a rather sombre circuit and completed my race, finishing second in class. I knocked over 2 seconds a lap off my time on Saturday and was within whisper of my best, with a lot more lap time to come from me, as I have done no personal race preparation and am carrying some more success ballast.

I saw Gordon in the paddock, talking to the driver of the Superspeed Anglia beside my car, but got distracted and when I looked again he'd gone.

I found the cool down lap very emotional, I always thank the marshals, but Sunday was especially poignant.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 10:48 (Ref:4064840)   #2625
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Would have been hard for anyone competing at Brands that weekend, it’s credit everyone was able to come together and show their support. It really was tragic what happened. Reminds you how dangerous motorsport still is

It was nice to see tributes all over British motorsport for the marshals. Must have taken a lot of courage to compete the day after. Credit to all involved for that. I’m sure it’s how every marshal would have wanted after a tragedy like that.

Anyway all the best guys, the marshals do a great job in this country.