Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4029298)   #351
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
an electrified MGB,

that is my next project

Midget is too tight around the waist for me....

but, both are light cars the potentially can be a lot of fun with the torque of electric motors

RudE
That is why my screen name should be changed to Former Midgetman The effort of getting me, a decent racing seat, HANS device and a roll cage under a Midget hardtop defeated me.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Jan 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4029301)   #352
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Grant, are you talking about this? https://insideevs.com/news/454917/jo...ev-conversion/ A tall guy driving an old roadster, the wipers dont help too much…
A huge choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw_v...re=emb_rel_end

Last edited by Gerard C; 15 Jan 2021 at 17:57.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4029304)   #353
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Grant, are you talking about this? https://insideevs.com/news/454917/jo...ev-conversion/ A tall guy driving an old roadster, the wipers dont help too much…
Jonny Smith, yep.

His YouTube video directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3KmcAO5Xmc

He also has 2 videos about the Swindon R E Mini and the long term objectives for the "crate" EV solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QgKJ85vd8

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArVrokETJ2E
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4029307)   #354
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some areas may get a cold weather payment as well. I'll bet that costs as much to administer as it pays out.

Grant, Cold Weather Payments of £25 per day are made to those who are claiming benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit, but is "awarded" only if the temperature is at zero degrees Celsius or below for 7 consecutive days. And, as far as I am aware, it is available throughout the whole of the UK.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:04 (Ref:4029308)   #355
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Grant! Not really temped, probably my age, but the results are amazing.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:18 (Ref:4029313)   #356
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a lot of choice Gerard.

Old Ferraris for example.

XK120/150

You can also find an EV converted Land Rover Defender (Barbour edition) in the list of videos. I don't think he has yet covered all of the options.

Also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNqN...sGHj1e&index=3

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_E9...GHj1e&index=11
Old 15 Jan 2021, 21:40 (Ref:4029334)   #357
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Interesting, amazing, strange sometimes but not for a petrol head like me. Too old I presume. In another life, may be? My bicycle is electric,enough for me.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4029341)   #358
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I watched a video about an electrified MGB development a few weeks ago. It seemed to be very nicely executed.
I know some say classic cars are death traps, but execution seems a bit much!

Was it fitted with an electric chair?
Old 16 Jan 2021, 06:27 (Ref:4029379)   #359
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is quite a growing interest in electrification of classics over here as well.
One company I saw at the OTGP in 2019 had one of its cars on show and to test drive.Car was a BMW Isetta,twin motors,one for each wheel turned it into a very quick little car.
Fortunately said company had the foresight to upgrade the brakes as well😆
Old 16 Jan 2021, 06:35 (Ref:4029381)   #360
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Knowing the Nurbur to be more or less Bimmer-Land, anything from the brand is acceptable over there. I wonder about the very serious TÜV gepruft… Ze conzept of an electric Isetta sounds tempting in town. Nowadays its called a Zmart!
Old 16 Jan 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4029415)   #361
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
The Danish of Ortofon are the most wonderful and sympathetic I ever met. Working for Pioneer in France, I established a subsidiary for Ortofon. They were very surprised to meet a French working like hell, this is how I was. Each first of the month, I gave a phone call to the itn sales manager and asked only one question: how many? I had started a furious competition vs the US team about the high end range we had. They were 30 on the US territory, me alone with only France to explore. Each month during this blessed era I've put them down. The manager in question was Ole Friis, his wife working for the UK embassy. He was amazed by my fighting spirit.

Gerard, Pioneer from early 70s, still sounding great in my garage.
It was about to be scrapped around thirty years ago when I rescued it, along with Akai cassette deck and Wharfedale speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Pioneer SX424.jpg  
Old 16 Jan 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4029431)   #362
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
So I took milady for her vaccination today, scheduled for 9.54 (!) - all very efficient - I dropped her off near the door, and by the time I'd parked she was already into the inner sanctum, so I went back to the car and caught up with a mate who's call I'd missed yesterday. About half an hour later I get a call to say she's ready to be picked up - all good! (she didn't get a lollipop, though!)

Back home after a small diversion to Tesco's for essentials - and there on the doormat was a letter from the NHS asking milady to book her vaccination I guess its belt and braces - she'd been given her appointment by the GP's staff, but that obviously doesn't interface with national systems.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4029437)   #363
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Back home after a small diversion to Tesco's for essentials - and there on the doormat was a letter from the NHS asking milady to book her vaccination I guess its belt and braces - she'd been given her appointment by the GP's staff, but that obviously doesn't interface with national systems.

The medics who form the Multi Disciplinary Team that are responsible for my care at the local hospital believe that it's prudent for me to get my vaccination as soon as possible as my immunity levels are very low, but they have no control over the listing. That, they tell me, is in the hands of your GPs' practice who then pass on the list to a centralised NHS office who are responsible for sending out the invitations to book the jabs.

Interestingly, during a conversation with a doctor at my practice yesterday morning, he denied that it was anything to do with them. Makes you wonder who you can believe, as the hospital have written to the practice to request them to get me vaccinated as soon as possible.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 14:49 (Ref:4029443)   #364
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice old beast, Malcolm. The best K7 player I had was from Aiwa, two dolbys, horizontal keyboard, the full monty! Because of the price in France, I got it in Belgium, en route to Spa! My Tascam boss in Tokyo was not too happy when I told him that we had no comparable machine in our range. C'est la vie!
Old 16 Jan 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4029458)   #365
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well I get £300, and I have no complaints.

Interestingly, just had a call from my sister (who is 77) to complain that she seems to be dead.........My brother in law (84) had a letter advising him that he had been paid £300, as there was no one else qualifying living with him!
She's now busy chasing to make sure that they are still paying her pension....

Apparently its a computer error......naughty computer! Nowt to do with the clowns programming and operating it
Old 16 Jan 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4029464)   #366
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Apparently its a computer error......naughty computer! Nowt to do with the clowns programming and operating it
Old 16 Jan 2021, 17:39 (Ref:4029473)   #367
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well I get £300, and I have no complaints.
Hmmm, I am afraid that I do think that the winter fuel allowance, bus passes, child allowance, free tv licences etc should be means tested.

My parents for eg, don’t need £300 a year and my sister / brother in law certainly don’t need child allowance. For those that do, then fair enough, but for those that can demonstrably easily afford it then there is no need. Would make a small but significant beneficial difference to the chancellors budget options.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4029479)   #368
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hmmm, I am afraid that I do think that the winter fuel allowance, bus passes, child allowance, free tv licences etc should be means tested.

My parents for eg, don’t need £300 a year and my sister / brother in law certainly don’t need child allowance. For those that do, then fair enough, but for those that can demonstrably easily afford it then there is no need. Would make a small but significant beneficial difference to the chancellors budget options.
IIRC it's been worked out and checked from time to time that it would cost far more to administer a means-test system than the present arrangements
Old 16 Jan 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4029480)   #369
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
IIRC it's been worked out and checked from time to time that it would cost far more to administer a means-test system than the present arrangements
So they say, but never seen it proven. Just don’t pay the allowances universally and those that need it can claim it through the benefit system. The country cannot afford to give hand outs to those that don’t need it.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4029485)   #370
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It has been discussed here that parents of well known delinquents should not perceive their helps, it seems easy to live at a decent level without working. But of course, all this sounds rétrograde and not politically correct. It affects even the language, "les quartiers" (districts) becoming very pejorative. Seems nobody can reach the reverse button…
Old 16 Jan 2021, 19:04 (Ref:4029490)   #371
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

I can understand your point of view, however, you must take into account the reason the the WFP came into existence only because Brown decided to only grant pensioners a derisory uplift (a few pence) one year, and there was a huge uproar. So he created the WFP to cover his meanness.

As to means testing, how do you judge whether an individual is better or worse off than another. There are those whose have really good income but equally have huge outgoings, whilst there are those who might be on just a state pension but who have limited outgoings meaning that they possibly have more disposable income than the person with higher income.

You need to bear in mind that the grey vote is quite sizeable - it was over 23% in 2017, so will have have grown since - and no government or opposition would dare to p*ss them off by cutting their allowances. I don't think that it will ever happen.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4029491)   #372
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Agree that it wont happen, but that doesnt stop it being wrong for people to get handouts they dont need.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4029505)   #373
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
So they say, but never seen it proven. Just don’t pay the allowances universally and those that need it can claim it through the benefit system. The country cannot afford to give hand outs to those that don’t need it.
The simple solution would be an option to decline the payment rather than make it means tested.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 20:49 (Ref:4029506)   #374
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

For them from the north enjoying some chilly white meteorological deposits around this time here's a video justification of the 4x4 SUV movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLf6NJ7MZ8

Subtitles and transcript available ....
Old 16 Jan 2021, 21:10 (Ref:4029509)   #375
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For them from the north enjoying some chilly white meteorological deposits around this time here's a video justification of the 4x4 SUV movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLf6NJ7MZ8

Subtitles and transcript available ....

Think the snow has been over most of the country today .
Still , it will keep the plod busy looking for non snowy roofs .

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-roof-14347783
Closed Thread