Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jan 2019, 19:29 (Ref:3877056)   #201
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2019 Bathrust 12 Hours:
  • #107: Steven Kane, Jules Gounon , Jordan Pepper.
  • #108: Andy Soucek, Maxime Soulet, Vincent Abril.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3882086)   #202
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Bentley will have four pro cars at the Spa 24 Hours.

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...ar-spa-effort/
Old 5 Feb 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3882087)   #203
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Bentley will have four pro cars at the Spa 24 Hours.

https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...ar-spa-effort/
three of them used to smash other cars, one for the glory
Old 5 Feb 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3882110)   #204
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
three of them used to smash other cars, one for the glory
As long as they win, no one remembers anything but the winner
Old 5 Feb 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3882139)   #205
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't worry, M-Sport always find a way to lose.

"Hey guys, lets pull the kill switch on the steering wheel!" #whatcouldgowrong
Old 5 Feb 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3882143)   #206
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Don't worry, M-Sport always find a way to lose.

"Hey guys, lets pull the kill switch on the steering wheel!" #whatcouldgowrong
Especially if the story about the guy who hit the button twice being the guy who asked for it moved. That's gotta be a kick in the teeth. Wonder if that's homologated or they can move it?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3882146)   #207
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, that was a really silly mistake (x2)
but most of racing cars have killswitch on the steering wheel

488 gt3 has the kill close to other buttons

at least 919 s. wheel had k.switch button in a place where unlikely drivers could push it by chance

Old 5 Feb 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3882148)   #208
canaglia
Veteran

cadillac dpi has kill close to TC selector

I'm not an engineer but I guess kill s. should be pressed for 4-5 seconds to stop ignition
Old 5 Feb 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3882150)   #209
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The 488 GT3 has a remappable steering wheel, so you can make whatever button you want a killswitch. In that photo, they've mapped it to the flashing lights button, so presumably, that's a series you don't flash much.

The 919 layout is perfect from a "control room ergonomics" point of view (corporate BS name for one of my work-related tasks), as the shroud around it makes it very unlikely that it will be hit accidentally.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 21:51 (Ref:3882152)   #210
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The 919 layout is perfect from a "control room ergonomics" point of view (corporate BS name for one of my work-related tasks), as the shroud around it makes it very unlikely that it will be hit accidentally.
That was my thought, why not somehow blocked or made so it's obviously NOT the other button. Plus close enough to pit speed button seems like a poor choice of location
Old 6 Feb 2019, 00:34 (Ref:3882164)   #211
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://youtu.be/x5GN6P3IzTc

You can see the Bentley wheel in this video.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3882205)   #212
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm not an engineer but I guess kill s. should be pressed for 4-5 seconds to stop ignition
Electric / electronic kill switches are usually instantaneous. Should turn off battery power to everything, hence ‘kill’ rather than ‘off’! A similar button will be on the outside of the car for marshals to activate if required, in the event of a crash......
Old 6 Feb 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3882209)   #213
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
You can see the Bentley wheel in this video.
Thanks! The switch is (in my opinion) very vulnerable. I’d like it a bit further away from the pit lane limiter and where thumbs naturally rest....Interesting that it’s marked ‘Stop’ rather than ‘Kill’, so maybe just connected to ignition and fuel supply?

The important thing is to make sure that the same situation never re-occurs....
Old 6 Feb 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3882211)   #214
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Electric / electronic kill switches are usually instantaneous. Should turn off battery power to everything, hence ‘kill’ rather than ‘off’! A similar button will be on the outside of the car for marshals to activate if required, in the event of a crash......

I see, thanks for the explanation,
anyway to place a so dangerous switch 0.5cm next to other buttons.... not the wisest move. I'm not talking just about bentley.... many other cars use to

991 RSR s. wheel, guess like 488 it has remappable settings, but anyway not the best place for a kill switch, considering also there is a side dashboard with 20 functions nearby....

let's say that for ergonomic and functionality reasons, a kill switch should be placed as far as possible from left/right thumb IMHO
Old 6 Feb 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3882213)   #215
canaglia
Veteran

Just checked huracan gt3 s.wheel lol

if driver hasn't his eyes on wheel and is entering pit-lane, risk to push the kill switch instead of rpm limiter is not so unlikely
Old 7 Feb 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3882362)   #216
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
cadillac dpi has kill close to TC selector

That wheel looks f...ugly with the tape
Old 7 Feb 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3882395)   #217
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
let's say that for ergonomic and functionality reasons, a kill switch should be placed as far as possible from left/right thumb IMHO
I build control room software and simulations for oil rigs. I've seen some crazy ergonomic nonsense at times, but not like these wheel switches. The oil rig equivalent of a kill switch is called a TPS (Total Platform Shutdown). It kills everything from wells all the way to export lines, generators, shoves the gas up the flare. The only thing that stays running is a UPS for essential 'life support' systems. You'd never dream having the TPS button in a place it could accidentally be hit. A software TPS button would require a confirmation, whilst a hardware one would be a double action (lift and push).

I don't understand these steering wheels, and having now seen the Bentley one, I'm amazed this isn't more common.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3882414)   #218
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
I build control room software and simulations for oil rigs. I've seen some crazy ergonomic nonsense at times, but not like these wheel switches. The oil rig equivalent of a kill switch is called a TPS (Total Platform Shutdown). It kills everything from wells all the way to export lines, generators, shoves the gas up the flare. The only thing that stays running is a UPS for essential 'life support' systems. You'd never dream having the TPS button in a place it could accidentally be hit. A software TPS button would require a confirmation, whilst a hardware one would be a double action (lift and push).

I don't understand these steering wheels, and having now seen the Bentley one, I'm amazed this isn't more common.
yeah, that's why is wierd to me that a k.switch on a gt3 doesn't require to be pushed for 4-5 seconds to be triggered. You can accidentally hit it and nothing happens but if you push it for seconds it's because you want to push it or really you don't know what you're doing.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3882456)   #219
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
‘Kill’ switch / button by normal motor sport definition needs to be instantaneous. It’s a regulated safety requirement, same as a fire extinguisher activation button.

‘Stop’ suggests a switch is for cutting off ignition and fuel supply, and it’s possible that’s what one or more of those steering wheel switches are. All that’s needed is a location away from the pit lane speed limiter!
Old 7 Feb 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3882466)   #220
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah, I understand the instantaneous bit. Again, to use an oil rig example, the TPS is does require a very purposeful action (you cannot accidentally do it), but once you activate it, there is no wait time. The generators are off, the valves will close, the blowdown valves will open, and all of your gas is going up the flare to be burnt off.

The 919 system looks good. It's very hard to accidentally push, but very easy to activate on purpose. If a 2 action system is not allowed, then that's what I'd design my buttons to be like.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3882474)   #221
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It would also be awkward for a driver to hold a button down for 4-5 seconds while undoing belts, disconnecting radio and drink supply, and attempting the fastest driver change of all time during a pit stop. And don’t suggest it’s held down as the car enters the pit lane....

Think that’s exhausted my input on Bentley buttons.....
Old 10 Feb 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3882995)   #222
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah, I understand the instantaneous bit. Again, to use an oil rig example, the TPS is does require a very purposeful action (you cannot accidentally do it), but once you activate it, there is no wait time. The generators are off, the valves will close, the blowdown valves will open, and all of your gas is going up the flare to be burnt off.

The 919 system looks good. It's very hard to accidentally push, but very easy to activate on purpose. If a 2 action system is not allowed, then that's what I'd design my buttons to be like.
Shrouded button FTW in so many cases. I showed the Mrs - who is a practicing ergonomist - some of the steering wheel photos and she cringed.

As an aside, and linked to Akrapovic's profession, more years ago than I care to remember* I worked on a chemical plant as a trainee chemical engineer prior to going to University. One bit of the plant was a continuous furnace operation making carbon disulphide & hydrogen sulphide (so pretty noxious and toxic materials) from boiling sulphur and high pressure natural gas. Our various control room shutdown buttons were big, bright red, well signed, in cages to avoid shoulder-presses & had a two-stage operation - and were similarly instantaneous, shutting off all feeds and dumping nitrogen (and more natural gas, counter-intuitively) through the system to push everything up a flare stack.

The fire alarm was linked to it, too, which I had the misfortune to activate when a fitter set fire to a sump under a storage tank while doing some grinding. The two-stage bit in that case was me thinking "do I automatically shut the plant down costing two days production? Hell yes!" before hitting the break glass...

*that was pretty much bang on 30 years ago. Lordy.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3883038)   #223
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I find this sort of stuff especially fascinating. The 919 certainly appears the best thought out. The R10 is interesting

The only shrouded buttons on it are PIT and MAP. MAP will be engine mapping, so fair enough. PIT being protected is interesting. The kill switch doesn't appear on the wheel at all, but it does have an emergency button - presumably just an alarm back to the pits. But that isn't protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The fire alarm was linked to it, too, which I had the misfortune to activate when a fitter set fire to a sump under a storage tank while doing some grinding. The two-stage bit in that case was me thinking "do I automatically shut the plant down costing two days production? Hell yes!" before hitting the break glass...
There is an amazing amount of complexity in these sort of systems, and often it does produce this weird sort of contradiction that you faced. In your case, a blowdown is a two-stage action to activate it, yet it can also be activated by a break-glass call point - something very vulnerable to accidental impacts!

It is thought that the Buncefield Explosion was caused by the Control Room Operator shutting down the plant, as he is meant to do. The leak had already happened, and when he noticed he shutdown the plant. The shutdown started a fire pump, which they suspect was the ignition source.

Kill/ESD/TPS systems are a lot more complex than just killing the power and hoping for the best
Old 14 Mar 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3890443)   #224
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
2019 Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup
  • #107 M-Sport - Andy Soucek / Maxime Soulet / TBA
  • #108 M-Sport - Steven Kane / Jules Gounon / Jordan Pepper
  • Team Parker Racing - Pro-Am Cup
No entries in the 2019 Blancpain GT World Challenge Europe.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3897664)   #225
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Bentley won't have factory cars at the 24h Nürburgring.

https://www.motorsport.com/endurance...hours/4370083/