Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Apr 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3897239)   #176
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
in 20 years time will non electric motorsport exist?
Sailing continues to exist despite being irrelevant to the marine industry.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3897257)   #177
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And horse racing along with other equestrian activities continue to be fairly popular considering they haven't been the main form of transport for close to 100 years.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3897262)   #178
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suppose cycling falls under that to an extent too.

Motorsport needs to be away from the idea of having to be road relevant and it will survive fine. As long as there are enough wealthy people who want to run and drive these cars, manufacturers will build them. Even if in 20 years we're seeing GT Cars that have no road version and are running a Judd engine or something.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3897731)   #179
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
A few observations from an enjoyable weekend in Monza (my first visit there).

40+ GT3 cars is an awesome spectacle. Great sound, colour, variety. Just so much fun. Let's not take it for granted - these are great times for GT racing!

Monza is wonderfully historic (the old banking is amazing to see) but it is very scruffy and badly in need of some TLC, which of course requires money which isn't available. The setting is beautiful and it's good to walk around, but the fences make it hard to see more than a small part of the track at once and photo spots are hard to find (basically, the three chicanes).

The Monza marshals are impressive - they react so fast and so efficiently to the many crashes and spills.

Before the race start I was sitting in the grandstand in multiple thick layers, 3 pairs of socks, two hats and gloves and I was still cold. All the grid walk VIPs had umbrellas, the marshals had waterproofs and the teams had various rain protections and coats. Yet the grid girls were left standing for nearly an hour in pouring rain and freezing cold, wearing short skirts, flat shoes and with no umbrellas. Many (but not all) were eventually given umbrellas by sympathetic mechanics or drivers. I'm not trying to argue the rights and wrongs of grid girls but they should be treated better than they were on Sunday.

Photos will follow in a few weeks - I have quite the backlog now!
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:35 (Ref:3897821)   #180
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Monza is a great place to start and it’s great there are so many cars on the grid. That combination always provides great racing. But let’s not get too carried away

Monza is still a great racetrack and the banking is great for it’s history. Of course the facilities could be improved, but it’s a great setting and a few tweaks here and there will help

Certainly rain must have livened things up. Let’s enjoy this style of racing while we can
Old 16 Apr 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3897882)   #181
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well Monza is a great place to start and it’s great there are so many cars on the grid. That combination always provides great racing. But let’s not get too carried away

Monza is still a great racetrack and the banking is great for it’s history. Of course the facilities could be improved, but it’s a great setting and a few tweaks here and there will help

Certainly rain must have livened things up. Let’s enjoy this style of racing while we can

Great race sure, did feel a little top heavy with Lambo/Audi/AMG this year, really noticing the loss of Lexus, Mclaren and Nissan for variety

We’ve been spoilt in the last few years really
Old 16 Apr 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3898028)   #182
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well you can only have so many makes, we’re lucky with who we have. The series is keeping on going in it’s own right
Old 16 Apr 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3898057)   #183
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well you can only have so many makes, we’re lucky with who we have. The series is keeping on going in it’s own right

Agree, like I say, we’ve been spoilt, just saying those smaller brands absence was noticeable
Old 16 Apr 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3898067)   #184
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Great race sure, did feel a little top heavy with Lambo/Audi/AMG this year, really noticing the loss of Lexus, Mclaren and Nissan for variety
Tech 1 Racing were there with a Lexus in the Am Cup class.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3898093)   #185
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Tech 1 Racing were there with a Lexus in the Am Cup class.

Yes I know, I meant more at the front end..
Old 17 Apr 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3898236)   #186
S griffin
Veteran

Well you can only get so many.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3898389)   #187
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched the race via the live stream from the SRO website and thoroughly enjoyed it. John Watson was his usual passionate Porsche supporting self.
Weather caused a fair bit of chaos and always nice to see a new team win.

However, I then watched a bit of the Eurosport coverage - what a joke!
Missed the first hour and a half off the broadcast and then the two commentators had no idea what was going on - what was the point - Mark Cole is normally okay but the second guy? Who was he? They even missed the fact that Haase had come into the pits with a puncture 15 mins from the end.

If they are not going to put the resources into covering the event properly then rather they didn't bother at all!

Hope their coverage of the Spa 24 hours is better!
Old 18 Apr 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3898393)   #188
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
John Watson and David Addison, I mean, you can't get two more likable and knowledgeable commentators (Ben Edwards aside).
Old 18 Apr 2019, 15:10 (Ref:3898418)   #189
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
John Watson and David Addison, I mean, you can't get two more likable and knowledgeable commentators (Ben Edwards aside).
Addison is outstanding, I agree, but I'm not convinced about Watson. He gets very ranty sometimes, he interrupts and talks over Addison and he gets fixated on things (like saying over and over again that GT3 cars lose downforce and performance while following closely, as a train of 8 cars goes past nose to tail).
Old 18 Apr 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3898449)   #190
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here are some pics from Monza for everyone to (hopefully enjoy): https://gt.report/kgpKQ

Full gallery: https://gt.report/kgpKQ
Old 18 Apr 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3898450)   #191
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Addison is outstanding, I agree, but I'm not convinced about Watson. He gets very ranty sometimes, he interrupts and talks over Addison and he gets fixated on things (like saying over and over again that GT3 cars lose downforce and performance while following closely, as a train of 8 cars goes past nose to tail).
Eh?! I will not put up with nor tolerate any criticism of the greatness that is John Watson.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3898476)   #192
S griffin
Veteran

Well everyone has a right to their opinion and Wattie can’t go on forever
Old 19 Apr 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3898532)   #193
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
No it was Mark Cole, and Tom Gaymor who normally does single seater stuff for Eurosport.
He's not bad and does know his stuff but a bit loud.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3899803)   #194
ivozet
Rookie

ivozet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strong teams, weak attendance @ Monza . They should invest in fans. More open friendly attitude for Bentley and ROWE staff. Too much VIP lines and restrictions for the fans. Looks like hiding something unseen and classified outside top 5.
Looking forward for more action, grid walk and autograph session @ ELMS in two weeks.

Last edited by ivozet; 26 Apr 2019 at 14:49.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3899863)   #195
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivozet View Post
Strong teams, weak attendance @ Monza . They should invest in fans. More open friendly attitude for Bentley and ROWE staff. Too much VIP lines and restrictions for the fans. Looks like hiding something unseen and classified outside top 5.
Looking forward for more action, grid walk and autograph session @ ELMS in two weeks.

I always go to the Silverstone race which is very well attended
Old 26 Apr 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3899867)   #196
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
I'm not sure it would be if it was about 5 degrees C and (accurately) forecast to rain heavily all day. The weather was miserable at Monza and frankly I was pleasantly surprised by the number who braved it. The car park was a quagmire and the paths to the (uncovered) grandstands around the circuit were pretty muddy.

I don't know what Ivoset is referring to as regards access. My ordinary ticket got me everywhere except the team hospitality areas (obviously) and the grid walk (which always requires a VIP ticket). All the grandstands were open all three days, parking was right by the main stand and Friday entry was free. This contrasts with Silverstone where Friday is closed to spectators, only one or two grandstands will be open and parking is outside the circuit.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3899870)   #197
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
26 cars entered for Brands Hatch round of what was called the Sprint Cup.

Only 5 manufacturers being Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi (all 9 of them),Mercedes and Aston Martin.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 23:09 (Ref:3899888)   #198
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't Ratel say that if attendance didn't rise then the race is under threat though?
Old 27 Apr 2019, 06:13 (Ref:3899913)   #199
ivozet
Rookie

ivozet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I'm not sure it would be if it was about 5 degrees C and (accurately) forecast to rain heavily all day. The weather was miserable at Monza and frankly I was pleasantly surprised by the number who braved it. The car park was a quagmire and the paths to the (uncovered) grandstands around the circuit were pretty muddy.

I don't know what Ivoset is referring to as regards access. My ordinary ticket got me everywhere except the team hospitality areas (obviously) and the grid walk (which always requires a VIP ticket). All the grandstands were open all three days, parking was right by the main stand and Friday entry was free. This contrasts with Silverstone where Friday is closed to spectators, only one or two grandstands will be open and parking is outside the circuit.

Got the plane at 6 am for 1500 km flight to reach the circuit, in the mean time the local folks were scared from cold weather outside. Come on ladies put your gloves and hats.
Excuse me, Euro 200 VIP for what? For a grid walk?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
26 cars entered for Brands Hatch round of what was called the Sprint Cup.

Only 5 manufacturers being Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi (all 9 of them),Mercedes and Aston Martin.
This year GT Open is much better than Ratels Spring Series and stronger with TCR Europe instead of GT4 amateur league

Last edited by ivozet; 27 Apr 2019 at 06:25.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 06:35 (Ref:3899916)   #200
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sprint cup compared to GT Open is quite poor.Shame really.