Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Apr 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3895269)   #1176
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
The 'tentpole' thing is marketing jargon that has been around a while but is making a resurgence, being broght back into the big top and center ring as it were.
In this context, it appears to be used more in the style of a tv broadcaster's 'tentpole' series.

E.g. - the tentpoles are the money earners for the business, or the key elements that keep people coming back. It would be used to support another show that is being launched, by running that show straight after a 'tentpole' that it can hang from.

Rather than being a jargon, or lingo, it could be seen as a recognition of the important elements that must be retained as 'tentpoles'.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 00:47 (Ref:3895359)   #1177
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OT: http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...rate-buzzwords
Old 5 Apr 2019, 03:27 (Ref:3895364)   #1178
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Rather than being a jargon, or lingo, it could be seen as a recognition of the important elements that must be retained as 'tentpoles'.
It is jargon in that it uses an uncommon or bespoke phrase which would not be how the concept would be expressed in ordinary conversation.

However, as a metaphor it is very clear and actually quite a strong statement by Atherton. He doesn't specify what the DPI 'tentpoles' are but we can surmise that he means homologated third-party chassis, freedom of engine choice and manufacturer styling cues. He may also mean partnership with privateer teams rather than factory outfits. All this is incompatible with the ACO's vision for prototypes/hypercar.

I take from this that there is zero ground for common regulations between IMSA and ACO for the top class (if indeed we didn't already know that).
Old 5 Apr 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3895512)   #1179
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Marshall in his podcast with Graham hints the likely direction for Ford is to extend the GT.

That is great news! I am even surprised that it could include the WEC as well.

Much rather see the Ford GT than a DPI.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3895549)   #1180
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr. Atherton has long been the best I have ever suffered through at stringing together long phrases of purely biz-buzz speak unironically. He offers a better parody of the habit than any comedian i have ever heard.

I am okay with that. ALMS was good, and WSCC shows sings of being really good. not all his doing, but I cannot discount his efforts.

And bravo to him for not bowing down to FIA. North America is a different market which demands a different product and he (well, IMSA as a team) seems to be balancing pleasing the investors and pleasing the fans.

I will never give up the right to ridicule him for his unique language, though.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3895550)   #1181
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends if Ford is going to continue the GT or update the GT or what ... maybe this means Ford is going to offer customer cars (first one at Le Mans in May) and/or maybe it means Ford doesn't want to spend a lot to move into DPi.

The Ford GT (being essentially a pure prototype) will be state-of-the-class for several years to come ... so we might see a program like Audi's, with R8s everywhere. Not terrible---I'd love to see more privateers in GTLM---But i'd also like to see GM vs Ford in DPi.

Anyway ... we shall see.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 19:46 (Ref:3895562)   #1182
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Depends if Ford is going to continue the GT or update the GT or what ... maybe this means Ford is going to offer customer cars (first one at Le Mans in May) and/or maybe it means Ford doesn't want to spend a lot to move into DPi.

The Ford GT (being essentially a pure prototype) will be state-of-the-class for several years to come ... so we might see a program like Audi's, with R8s everywhere. Not terrible---I'd love to see more privateers in GTLM---But i'd also like to see GM vs Ford in DPi.

Anyway ... we shall see.
There's less than zero chance you will see multiple cars in GTE-Am, they were approached by Keating last season and flatly turned him down. It took multiple rounds of negotiations to get the car he has and they aren't making new ones, where would the multiples of cars come from? You may see a couple additional cars with WELL vetted customers for LM and possibly WEC, but more likely LM only programs.

Their hesitance to a DPi program roll out is the lack of the hybrid possibility to sell to the board room. The race program probably doesn't care a lick about hybrid and they have been fans, like BMW, of a stock hybrid system. They just want something to sell to the guys with the cash. There's probably zero chance of them doing anything but continuing with the GT, although possibly IMSA only, until they have a go/no go vote on the new DPi specs. Don't want to leave and be left out of the discussions and IMSA is that kind of petty to leave them out if they leave the series.
Old 7 Apr 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3896060)   #1183
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Given Atherton's degree is Marketing and Communication he is going to be comfortable with the terminology of that discipline. He has to talk to the racing community, but he also speaks to the non-racing people who control budgets for sponsors and potential sponsors who are all going to speak in similar terms. Atherton has been talking to the same types his entire career.

As far as the attributes of DPi that could be called 'tentpoles:' The use of P2 chassis from the marketplace, reducing costs. The manufacturer's buy in with bodywork, and of course them paying the fee to participate. And BoP.

Those manufacturers are buying ad space at the tracks, and doing their own promotions to turn the turnstiles (and to sell their product).

IMSA wants to promote the viability of DPi to keep it going and wasn't there mention recently of the ACO being more receptive to DPi because they can BoP it into the mix? That would help ensure the formula's continued viability, which would be IMSA's interest.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3896334)   #1184
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Given Atherton's degree is Marketing and Communication he is going to be comfortable with the terminology of that discipline. He has to talk to the racing community, but he also speaks to the non-racing people who control budgets for sponsors and potential sponsors who are all going to speak in similar terms. Atherton has been talking to the same types his entire career.

As far as the attributes of DPi that could be called 'tentpoles:' The use of P2 chassis from the marketplace, reducing costs. The manufacturer's buy in with bodywork, and of course them paying the fee to participate. And BoP.

Those manufacturers are buying ad space at the tracks, and doing their own promotions to turn the turnstiles (and to sell their product).

IMSA wants to promote the viability of DPi to keep it going and wasn't there mention recently of the ACO being more receptive to DPi because they can BoP it into the mix? That would help ensure the formula's continued viability, which would be IMSA's interest.
yes, sir (or madam, unsure and no offense intended.) I understand all that. In fact, I am quite pleased that after all the blithering around which effectively killed Grand-Am and ALMS, the same management teams have managed to produce WTSCC, which has been putting on good races and steadily improving year after year.

I can still laugh at Atherton's overdone speech.

And ... if he is so freaking smart that he can speak those two languages, he should be able to learn English as well.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 00:47 (Ref:3896342)   #1185
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I can still laugh at Atherton's overdone speech.

And ... if he is so freaking smart that he can speak those two languages, he should be able to learn English as well.
You have to admit he does draw attention when he speaks Maybe it is like the TV commentary crews who seem to operate as if the only people watching have never seen a motor race before.

IMSA is responsive to the fans, the paddock, and the manufacturers. Seems to be working pretty well, so more power to them. Fully subscribed and stable grids. Variety on the grids. Stable schedule and seem like doing good for the tracks.

I am XY chromsomally, so when nature calls I go through the door marked "Hombres," or just to the nearest shrubbery.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3896480)   #1186
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I am happy to see Porsche back in factory livery at Long Beach. Only real thing to note from the spotters guide.

Hope its a clean race. Should be with the grid we got. Even just a single safety car would be a let down.

Mazda and Acura really in big need for wins for this one. Same for Corvette and Ford in GT. Losing streak going for all the manufacturers mentioned.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 00:44 (Ref:3896505)   #1187
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So in 2019. Road Atlanta has hot water now. I hear it's in all the comfort stations, not just this one in the reserved RV / Motorcoach section? Like they freaking need it.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3896613)   #1188
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
So in 2019. Road Atlanta has hot water now. I hear it's in all the comfort stations, not just this one in the reserved RV / Motorcoach section? Like they freaking need it.
Hey that is fantastic! Now will they be keeping the cleaning staff working on race day to unclog toilettes and refill soap?
Old 10 Apr 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3896619)   #1189
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Hey that is fantastic! Now will they be keeping the cleaning staff working on race day to unclog toilettes and refill soap?
Andrew and I have bigger concerns about toilet flange bolts...
Old 10 Apr 2019, 23:48 (Ref:3896705)   #1190
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And FYI, it's ONLY hot water. It appears they tapped in to the sole water line so now instead of from under a glacier the water is sourced direct from Satan's anus. I'm not sure that's a good trade in all honesty.

And yes, the center throne at turn 3 needs to be bolted to the floor correctly. And vacuum flush would be the way to go but guess the Michelin money only covers painted tires (that don't match the blue of the curbs) and 5 hot water tanks.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 02:02 (Ref:3898681)   #1191
MaskedRacer
Veteran

A thought here about GTD. Great to see the images of the McLaren. But there is way too much green there. Green number panel is fine. But I don't think the mirrors, the top of the windows, AND the real wing side panel needs to be green as well.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 02:46 (Ref:3898686)   #1192
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
They've made it sound like McLaren is a full marketing partner now on S365 and IMSA fb page. Would love if they were an actual FULL partner and would be at Petit but guessing it's still just their Sprint deal.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3898796)   #1193
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
They've made it sound like McLaren is a full marketing partner now on S365 and IMSA fb page. Would love if they were an actual FULL partner and would be at Petit but guessing it's still just their Sprint deal.

Sounds that way, so maybe the sprint only bit is due to Compass not manufacturer input.

They did say on S365 they plan on running 2x GTD’s next year
Old 21 Apr 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3898815)   #1194
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Preseason it was announced McLaren got a discounted deal to run as a partner in Sprint program only. Hopefully the team wanted more and could sell the program all season in 2020.
Old 21 Apr 2019, 21:52 (Ref:3898922)   #1195
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Preseason it was announced McLaren got a discounted deal to run as a partner in Sprint program only. Hopefully the team wanted more and could sell the program all season in 2020.

Yes remember that, although the recent announcement says multi year deal

Maybe the deal is Year 1 Sprint only at a discount followed by year two full season

I imagine this shorter entry suits Mclaren this year as they still develop the car
Old 22 Apr 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3899045)   #1196
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but this will be the last season for the "official" Ford GT team in GTE. They are likely to continue in some form, but not as a full factory team. https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ry-gt-program/
Old 22 Apr 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3899058)   #1197
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but this will be the last season for the "official" Ford GT team in GTE. They are likely to continue in some form, but not as a full factory team. https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ry-gt-program/
I wouldn't be surprised to see Keating run his a couple times, possibly the enduros with his GTD program. Or GTD Sprint with the GT in GTLM in the enduros.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3899171)   #1198
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Keating run his a couple times, possibly the enduros with his GTD program. Or GTD Sprint with the GT in GTLM in the enduros.
As long as we get the Fords in some way shape or form. Do I think the same 4 manufacturers in GTLM will be there in 2020? Yes I do. Maybe we'll get a miraculous entry in GTLM next year from somebody else to give us a shot at 10 cars full season. My fingers are crossed for a Flying Lizard McLaren myself and/or a team with non-Michilen tires. My hope is that IMSA will allow GT3 cars to run in GTLM as soon as 2020.

If you take a current GT3 car, but give it customized GTLM tires, have all pro drivers, and remove the GTD balance of performance mandates, then that car should be on pace with the GTE cars.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 22:27 (Ref:3899270)   #1199
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
...and/or a team with non-Michilen tires...

Old 24 Apr 2019, 03:05 (Ref:3899287)   #1200
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I can't say I can think of a GTLM tire other than Michelin for this current time set. Has there been anyone in WEC or Am running a different spec? There aren't any true privateer cars out there, yes Ferrari isn't TRULY factory but really, so there isn't anyone looking to risk it for the cash like AMR used to in ALMS days with Pirellis.

GTLM is at its peak I think and fear it's all downhill from here before a GT3 plus situation happens. Or the new "prototypes" get too slowed and it's just straight GT3 adopted.