Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Nov 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2586884)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out my 1/18 Scale Exoto Shelby Cobra Daytona SIGNED BY CARROLL SHELBY!!!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, but I thought I'd share my incredible Exoto Shelby Cobra Daytona which has been signed by THE man, Carroll Shelby!!

In anticipation for Carroll Shelby being on our SEMA booth signing autographs, I thought it might finally be time to buy one of the models I've wanted for almost as long as I've been collecting them, the 1/18 scale Shelby Cobra Daytona by Exoto.

This particular model is of the car that Bob Bondurant and Jo Schlesser drove to victory at the 12 Hours of Reims in 1965. It was also this car at that race that clinched the 1965 Wold GT Championship for Shelby, the first, and only American car to ever win a world championship.

It retails for $300 and I could never justify spending that kind of money on a model, no matter how nice it was, but a Shelby signature normally costs $150 (proceeds going to the CS Children's Foundation), so I figured if I can avoid the $150 cost of the autograph, it makes the price of the model a little bit easier to swallow. So I call up Exoto to order the car and I find that this particular car is on sale for just $99.95, so I decide to order two! I'll get both signed, and then display one, and put 1 away to appreciate and gain value.

Unfortunately though, due to the fact that Shelby has had 2 transplant surgeries, he's quite susceptible to getting sick, and since Swine Flu has been going around, his doctors advised him not to attend SEMA, and he listened. We had to turn away a LOT of disappointed Shelby fans, but everyone would rather he stay healthy than come to a car show and get sick.

Luckily, my company's relationship with Shelby meant I could leave my cars with them and they'd have him sign them for me. I got them back today and they look great! They don't look like the "perfect" Shelby signature that you see, but the man's 87 and he can't sign small things like model cars as well as he used to be able to. Either way, each car got a certificate of authenticity, and I had them take (yet to be developed) photos of him signing the cars, so there's no doubt they're authentic.

Exoto offers a version of this car with a signature already on it, but it's not his real signature, it's a tampo decal that they put on before the clearcoat, and they charge $600 for it! I wonder how many people they fool, thinking it's his actual signature?

Next, I'm planning to have Bob Bondurant (the car's world championship winning driver) and Pete Brock (the Daytona's designer) sign the cars as well!

The pics aren't amazing, but you get a sense of the detail on this car!

And for those of you not terribly familiar with this car, it's essentially a 289 Shelby Cobra, but Peter Brock designed the gorgeous coupe bodyshell to give them more top end at faster European tracks. It worked. With this body, the car was immediately 20mph faster down the straights After winning the World Championship in 1965, the FIA changed the regulation making the current GT cars obsolete, and as such, only 6 of these cars were ever made. Their provenance combined with their exclusivity make them some of the most valuable American cars in the world. This very chassis that my model represents recently sold for $7.25 Million at auction, the highest price ever paid for an American car at auction!

I was lucky enough to get to see this car first hand, up close and personal at this years' 12 Hours of Sebring and it looked stunning. Here's a photo of myself with the car!

And here's a photo from the day in 1965 when Bob Bondurant won the World GT Championship for Shelby!

Old 22 Nov 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2586894)   #2
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos. I met Carroll Shelby at the Goodwood Revival a few years ago, when Phil & Derek Hill raced the Daytona. He is one of the nicest people I have met in motor racing. He signed my programme and it is my most prized autograph; more so than the one I have of TGF!
Old 22 Nov 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2586922)   #3
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
Great photos. I met Carroll Shelby at the Goodwood Revival a few years ago, when Phil & Derek Hill raced the Daytona. He is one of the nicest people I have met in motor racing. He signed my programme and it is my most prized autograph; more so than the one I have of TGF!
Yea, I've wanted to meet him for a LONG time, and he is a really nice guy (although when in the right mood can be a downright ass too!). This car is one of my most prized materialistic possessions both because I've loved the car forever and wanted the model for a long time, as well as the signature! Once I get Bondurant and Brock to sign it, it'll only become more valuable!