Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Sep 2011, 13:16 (Ref:2952205)   #26
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Take all that leather trim out, that should help. Starting with the new Continental Supersport Coupe won't hurt either.
Seriously, it's 500KG more than an M3 in road trim.
Add Carbon, Perspex, and Titanium, take out 4 wheel drive, it shouldn't be THAT hard to match an M3 for weight. Then persuade the ACO to offer one or two waivers. I'd love to hear a W12 on open pipes....
Isn't there some limit of modification?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2952478)   #27
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swap the engine for a destroked 6.75l V8 (down to 5.5l) and the rest is legal modification. AWD isn't allowed in GTE so it would go shedding weight, being a racer it doesn't need all that luxury interior fitting so strip the shell and that's even more weight lost, change all body panels that can be changed to carbon fibre, add perspex windows and then go hunting for weight savings and it should be possible to make weight. Get a waiver to use a transaxle and it'd be good to go weight distribution wise.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2952568)   #28
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ah, you've read the BMW racing handbook, then?
Seriously, M3 coupes have a Carbon Reinforced Plastic roof, FFS... No reason Bentley cannot do similar. Bonnets are commnly CRP in GT3, presumably boots and other bits too.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2952571)   #29
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did leave out the good bits....
Old 8 Sep 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2952826)   #30
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
NFS Shift 2 has a peetty nice interpretation of a 'what if' for the Conti'. Works package turns any car to a race car, looks decent.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2952927)   #31
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport ran a story on it today hinting at an LMP comeback. No new information or confirmation, just that they expect to be back racing within 5 years. Brian Gush quoted in the article admits he has no idea where they will race.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2952933)   #32
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Autosport ran a story on it today hinting at an LMP comeback. No new information or confirmation, just that they expect to be back racing within 5 years. Brian Gush quoted in the article admits he has no idea where they will race.
Autosport is no better than forum speculation.
If Bentley was going to return, it would be on Audi or Porsches expense. I know this was also said about the Audi/Porsche rumors, but VAG is not going to let 3 marques run with full out budgets against each other!
Old 9 Sep 2011, 04:17 (Ref:2953009)   #33
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Perhaps they can fund it themselves? I'm not certain, but isn't Bentley profitable enough?
Old 9 Sep 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2953021)   #34
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I don't believe it will happen....... but running 3 marques in one championship using some common parts and infrastructure would still be cheaper than a full blown F1 project and just maybe they feel with enough manufacturers and promotion they can raise the profile enough to make the marketing side worth it.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2953027)   #35
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't believe it will happen.......
I think it could happen. I still have my suspicions regarding Audi's long term plans in the top category.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2953243)   #36
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I think it could happen. I still have my suspicions regarding Audi's long term plans in the top category.
I can see you crossing your fingers and hoping that your beloved team make a prompt return, but i still think it unlikely unless the other VAG teams withdraw.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2953246)   #37
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Autosport is no better than forum speculation.
If Bentley was going to return, it would be on Audi or Porsches expense. I know this was also said about the Audi/Porsche rumors, but VAG is not going to let 3 marques run with full out budgets against each other!
There are quotes from two of the top people at Bentley, one favours LMP, the other GT.

The question of VAG having three LMP teams is raised, while any GT entry would be based on a new, lighter, road car.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2953299)   #38
TF110
Veteran

United States
Which is cheaper? I'd say the LMP's route. Developing a new car then racing variant would be no cheaper. Though it may make more sense.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2953416)   #39
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Which is cheaper? I'd say the LMP's route. Developing a new car then racing variant would be no cheaper. Though it may make more sense.
They wouldn't develop a new road car just to go racing, but if they are planning a new smaller GT car for the road then they may take it racing.

I think being the type of prestige brand it is, from a marketing and image perspective Bentley needs to be in the top class. I would not be surprised to see Bentley and Porsche in LMP and Audi going to GTE
Old 10 Sep 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2953518)   #40
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Audi weren't in LMP they'd go to F1, they already compete as a factory in production based racing with the DTM.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2953523)   #41
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
If Audi weren't in LMP they'd go to F1, they already compete as a factory in production based racing with the DTM.
DTM has a very limited market and is little known outside Germany. You may be right about F1, but I think that is more likely with VW, but that doesn't rule out GTE in what may be a return to a more customer based operation
Old 11 Sep 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2953700)   #42
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
They wouldn't develop a new road car just to go racing, but if they are planning a new smaller GT car for the road then they may take it racing.

I think being the type of prestige brand it is, from a marketing and image perspective Bentley needs to be in the top class. I would not be surprised to see Bentley and Porsche in LMP and Audi going to GTE
I didn't imply they'd make a road car just to race it. I said it'd be the more sensible route that you have a road car in the first place, then able to use that as a base for a GTE model.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2954137)   #43
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Now old, but no one has linked it: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1XVpdYsJY

It includes the quotes from Gush & Durheimer.

If it comes at the expense of Audi, then I hope it doesn't happen.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2955258)   #44
Mal
Veteran

England
London
It looks like a Dakar rally programme is favourite:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...ally-campaign/

But it doesn't really fit with their brand image does it?
Old 14 Sep 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2955305)   #45
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
It looks like a Dakar rally programme is favourite:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...ally-campaign/

It doesn't, but if they do have a SUV in the pipelines, it could be a good thing to market!

H*ll, Lotus are going "rallying".
Old 21 Sep 2011, 04:04 (Ref:2958900)   #46
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nor does the forthcoming SUV But they may do a Mini thing, i.e. come up with a car that annoys purists and then take it racing to sooth their pain so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Take all that leather trim out, that should help. Starting with the new Continental Supersport Coupe won't hurt either.
Seriously, it's 500KG more than an M3 in road trim.
Add Carbon, Perspex, and Titanium, take out 4 wheel drive, it shouldn't be THAT hard to match an M3 for weight. Then persuade the ACO to offer one or two waivers. I'd love to hear a W12 on open pipes....
I'm sure I've read statements about adding a new greener and more economical V8 option to the Conti line up in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
H*ll, Lotus are going "rallying".
Among other things like... everything, actually.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2962272)   #47
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow... I think this article has been custom-written to have all of us here drooling!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259347/

Quote:
“An LMP1 car would be a good way to go, but not the only possible way,” said Bentley CEO Wolfgang Durheimer when asked about potential future race projects. “There is nothing saying the same brands can’t compete against each other – the only important thing is that the racing activity supports fully the brand identity.”

( )
Durhemier also hinted at possible race programmes, saying that he could see gaps in the market for Bentley to predominantly race in either the US, where it sells most road cars, or Asia, where its sales are growing at the fastest rate, and then compete on selected world championship events.

“The three brands of Bentley, Porsche and Audi could race in different regions and come together five or six times a year for the world sportscar championship and then once per year in France. It’s not decided, but it is possible,” he said.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2962305)   #48
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
"There is nothing saying the same brands can’t compete against each other", I guess we better believe that since Porsche kept saying the same and finally in June...
Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:36 (Ref:2962406)   #49
Mal
Veteran

England
London
“The three brands of Bentley, Porsche and Audi could race in different regions and come together five or six times a year for the world sportscar championship and then once per year in France. It’s not decided, but it is possible,” he said.

Wow - if they do that they will almost single handedly prop up the entire spectrum of ACO racing - one presumes they would help with the promotion to go with it.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2962422)   #50
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I think it would make more sense if 2 of 3 brands went ALMS+LeMans24 while the 3rd brand did WEC+LeMans24. There will be enough competition in WEC, while in ALMS they might end up dominating a-la Acura 2009, which didn't attract many fans, I think.