Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Sep 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3457360)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Project Brabham

Well what do you think?
Old 24 Sep 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3457363)   #2
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Lets give the lad a hand (like Simmi just did )

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-brabham
Old 24 Sep 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3457364)   #3
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
tl;dr: LMP2, 2015, £8M budget, from 250,000 they plan to raise via this initially in phase 1.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3457367)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks to me like a better thought out Perrin with more clout.

The Brabham name is powerful and I've got my fingers crossed for them. It's not particularly new or innovative as an idea, even in racing.

Buried at the bottom of the page it seems they have Piers Phillips (ex-Strakka) as team manager. He just needs a team to manage.

Hopefully in the morning the racing world will pick this news up and get behind it. If the funding begins the implication is that more backers/partners could come on board.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3457368)   #5
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Well what do you think?
If the Perrinn LMP1 needed a(nother) reason to fail, that's it.

Kinda crunch time. Go into crowd funding and see which of the
totally innovative, community immersing, crowd-funded and open-sourced
teams gets to race.

ISTM Perrinn has the engineering, and Brabham the name that'll bring in the funds.
Neither will make me as an open sourcer proud, I fear...

Last edited by Ephaeton; 24 Sep 2014 at 21:41.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3457370)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116013

"It then plans to return to the ranks of a constructor in 2018 with an LMP1 design."
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3457378)   #7
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Well its doubled from ~£2000 to ~£4700 in the last 30 minutes. Good luck to them.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3457379)   #8
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Have put in a few pennies but I won't hold out much hope of seeing any result. I may have missed it (didn't listen to the show), but why is the goal 250k?

These two projects would seem perfect to work together.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3457382)   #9
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
These two projects would seem perfect to work together.
I agree, I bet collaboration failed because both see themselves as the name-giving, project-driving entity.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3457383)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didn't donate to Perrin because, with the best will in the world, I just couldn't see it working. I can't have been the only one.

I have higher hopes for this.

I'll stick my neck out and say there's no way Project Brabham can get the car running on crowd funding alone. That's surely not the ambition. They need backers to come in once it gains momentum. When that time comes it will be interesting to see how they offset that against the team's open-source identity.

Ultimately I just want to see more cars on the WEC grid. Hence:

Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3457385)   #11
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
By the way, did anyone else have trouble using PayPal? Wasn't a great start, being told that they were unable to receive PayPal monies.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3457386)   #12
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
I'm with Simmi here in wanting to see more on track (and thus I also spent a night at the pub for not being at the pub).

Rodger: I paypal'd just fine.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3457388)   #13
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yeah PayPal worked for me. Only took a couple of minutes to donate.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3457390)   #14
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Hmm, strange - kept erroring for me. Standard option worked fine though.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3457394)   #15
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Have put in a few pennies but I won't hold out much hope of seeing any result. I may have missed it (didn't listen to the show), but why is the goal 250k?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-brabham

Quote:
Stretch Goals

When we pass the initial target we can start to progress the next phases without requiring additional investment straight away. When we reach a total of:

· £500,000 we will be able to start building and populate the three, more complex cloud-based experiences straight away, and start to assemble the back-office of the team

· £2.5m we can source our factory and buy our first car

· £8m you can become a piece of racing history – we would be the first ever community-sponsored motor racing team in an FIA discipline, with a team in next year’s WEC
They can't be seriously intending to get all of that from crowd founding alone.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3457400)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
They will require additional investment straight away if they want to be on the grid for next year.

Because right now they are battling to secure 3% of the £8mil budget by November.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3457484)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got a Paypal error too, so I had to actually go and find my wallet.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the whole project they can fund by small crowdfunded donations and how much by traditional sponsorship and pay drivers.

At least it builds a connection between the team and spectators which can only be a good thing.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3457486)   #18
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be interesting to know what they will share.

The engineer Access sound interesting, but it is more expensive than Perrin subscription and i doubt they will share a similar amount of info, considering that they will buy a car from someone else and this someone else would probably not want to publish any data....

On the other hand, if they succeed, it could be interesting to have info and data about a real car.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3457542)   #19
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, £8 million budget for a single P2 program in WEC? Isn't that a bit much?

Wonder how much a similar program in the ELMS is? Am I right in believing Tudor is (almost) as expensive as WEC (because of the longer races)?
Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3457544)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Wow, £8 million budget for a single P2 program in WEC? Isn't that a bit much?

Wonder how much a similar program in the ELMS is? Am I right in believing Tudor is (almost) as expensive as WEC (because of the longer races)?
Running a 2 car LMP2 team in WEC is £2.5-4 million NOT including obtaining the cars

Tudor is MORE expensive than WEC - more running time - I'm told c.10% more expensive

ELMS much cheaper but Le Mans comes in at a fair chunk too
Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3457545)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i put the figures that philippe sinault gave recently in the elms thread - he's looking for a total budget of just over €2m for elms including le mans in lmp2. his budget for wec is €3.5million, which would fit with graham's figures though irritatingly there's no mention of how many cars that's for.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3457546)   #22
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
So that season budget - plus a car(s), spares, factory and staff. I suppose that's where your £8mill comes from.

It's massively ambitious.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3457548)   #23
Coach Ep
Veteran

Thx guys, that helps understanding the matter a bit better.

Graham, did David say anything about the number of cars his project is planning to enter (or maybe it's in the press release)? If so, I missed that one completely.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3457562)   #24
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happens if you donate and this thing falls apart.

As an amateur Driver/"Engineer," I really want to get in on the early bird but I'm very apprehensive about getting an actual product in return. I also was really hoping this would be a combined effort with Perrinn.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3457568)   #25
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with any investment there is an element of risk.