Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Aug 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3664163)   #151
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
...they have forgotten how to do race strategy as a leader.
Then hire someone who can!
Old 7 Aug 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3664165)   #152
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
So did Tandy realize he hadn't driven into two cars yet today halfway through the corner or what?
Old 7 Aug 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3664166)   #153
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I can just imagine the bigwigs at Mazda Japan tuning into this race with some good expectations, only to watch that performance and then decide that actually, they're better off not listening to Bandoh and staying out of Super GT and sportscar racing altogether
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:00 (Ref:3664167)   #154
OmerRS
Rookie

OmerRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I'd agree, even at the end he gave Tandy as much room as he could. Of course, there are other reasons to not be too fond of Ford...

Just to compound Mazda's litany of goofs, there's got to be a penalty coming for swiping the #62 (deserved as it may have been) into T1!

It looked like the #67 was slow, even for the Ford GT's not-very-good restarts. I reckon he had some damage (or thought he did) from bumping with Vilander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
He didn't force the issue and I think he must of had something off after being boxed out by the Ferrari.
Or a damaged rear left tyre due to hit from Porsche.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:01 (Ref:3664168)   #155
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glad I recorded this one.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:02 (Ref:3664169)   #156
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'd agree, even at the end he gave Tandy as much room as he could. Of course, there are other reasons to not be too fond of Ford...

Just to compound Mazda's litany of goofs, there's got to be a penalty coming for swiping the #62 (deserved as it may have been) into .
Just saw see the Tandy, Vilander and Westbrook coming together again. And as I thought; Westbrook was pretty much an innocent bystander to the "bumper car" Ferrari, as Richard stated.

And yeah, Mazda need to be flogged for everything today. Seeing it again, the Mazda was at least 1/2 along at contact and it was late in the race. Folks gotta go but I wouldn't be opposed to a penalty for them.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3664170)   #157
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
So did Tandy realize he hadn't driven into two cars yet today halfway through the corner or what?
That was hilariously greedy of Tandy. Can't blame him for trying though, I love his racers spirit. Give him a sniff at a pass and he's all over it forcing the issue.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:04 (Ref:3664171)   #158
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmerRS View Post
Or a damaged rear left tyre due to hit from Porsche.
Yes. Seeing the replay again, 62 whacked them both, which sent Tandy into the Ford. Thought I was watching a Nascar race for a moment or two today.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:09 (Ref:3664173)   #159
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Westbrook seemed to give everyone space there at the end, so kudos to him.

Think Porsche is going to remember today and the Fiat shenanigans for a while. Pretty low driving from the 62.
Well, from the helicam shot of the final coming-together it appeared that Tandy went to the inside, didn't really make the turn and collected the rear of 62 before caroming off into the inside wall, so I feel like that any karmic retribution from Porsche on Ferrari immediately resulted in karma for the attempted retribution too...

Generally speaking, Porsche probably isn't in a position to feel aggrieved about robust driving after LRP anyway.

The deficiencies in the rest of the Mazda program are showing through desperately now that they've finally got a car that can win on pace. Time to get some new blood for the brain trust, and maybe think about overhauling the crew in 70 to match 55. It seems like Miller and Long just aren't as comfortable with downforce cars, they are probably best off in tintops while some open wheel/prototype guys would be a better fit in the 70.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:22 (Ref:3664175)   #160
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Well, from the helicam shot of the final coming-together it appeared that Tandy went to the inside, didn't really make the turn and collected the rear of 62 before caroming off into the inside wall, so I feel like that any karmic retribution from Porsche on Ferrari immediately resulted in karma for the attempted retribution too...
Was that before or after the Ferrari rear-ended the Ford? I didn't see the view from the chopper...
Old 7 Aug 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3664176)   #161
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I can just imagine the bigwigs at Mazda Japan tuning into this race with some good expectations, only to watch that performance and then decide that actually, they're better off not listening to Bandoh and staying out of Super GT and sportscar racing altogether
Mazda isn't worried about missing out on a win or three from strategy and reliability. There's plenty of other programs they're successful with. They blew it with the first caution, not much else they could do afterwards.

I can't wait for the dp's to be gone. The series made the right decision to use actual prototypes for the future. Glad Viper got this win. Fiat should be ashamed of discontinuing the GTE program and the car altogether.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3664186)   #162
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
The deficiencies in the rest of the Mazda program are showing through desperately now that they've finally got a car that can win on pace.
It's not as if the car's pace comes from any particular competency either. This is just what happens when you waiver and BoP backmarkers up to speed.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 00:21 (Ref:3664190)   #163
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It's not as if the car's pace comes from any particular competency either. This is just what happens when you waiver and BoP backmarkers up to speed.
The car is fast. They went faster than the dps went last year in qualifying...but they have the foot shooting down pat. Bone head strategy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Aug 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3664192)   #164
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bowties!
Old 8 Aug 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3664193)   #165
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
The car is fast. They went faster than the dps went last year in qualifying...but they have the foot shooting down pat. Bone head strategy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Yep, and it's getting frustrating to watch.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3664196)   #166
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
They blew it with the first caution, not much else they could do afterwards.
Yup, this race was all down to the wrong strategy for Mazda. If they got a caution with about 25 minutes to go they may have been alright, but the last yellow with less than 10 did not help them. Plus Tristan didn't win any fans by taking out the Risi car today......
Old 8 Aug 2016, 01:23 (Ref:3664198)   #167
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It'll be 3 laps with 5 minutes left.

I wonder how Mazda will scupper their chances of winning next race?
Well they have done just about all they can so far. So to pull something new out of the hat, maybe the 70 and 55 can have contact at Cota?
Old 8 Aug 2016, 01:46 (Ref:3664200)   #168
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Glad Viper got this win. Fiat should be ashamed of discontinuing the GTE program and the car altogether.
The Viper actually belongs to the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) Group:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Chrysler_Automobiles

Dodge and Fiat now belongs to this group.

The Porsche drivers attitude has been really annoying to me actually. I've followed all of the available onboards for some time in the race and the #911 was by far the car that most abused the off track at T1. Mazda was always well within the track limits and others had at least the right side tires within the white line. The #911 had all of it's wheels well over the white lines during pretty much every lap.

And I'm sure track limits will dominate the talking in the next round. Anybody remembers last year?
Old 8 Aug 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3664207)   #169
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
The Porsche drivers attitude has been really annoying to me actually. I've followed all of the available onboards for some time in the race and the #911 was by far the car that most abused the off track at T1. Mazda was always well within the track limits and others had at least the right side tires within the white line. The #911 had all of it's wheels well over the white lines during pretty much every lap.

And I'm sure track limits will dominate the talking in the next round. Anybody remembers last year?
Track limits were an issue at VIR?
Old 8 Aug 2016, 02:56 (Ref:3664211)   #170
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Track limits were an issue at VIR?
I don't think there has ever been a penalty for that at VIR! But Cota......

Seriously though, that is one of the best features of VIR, grass all around the circuit. Not asphalt.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 03:50 (Ref:3664230)   #171
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't think there has ever been a penalty for that at VIR! But Cota......

Seriously though, that is one of the best features of VIR, grass all around the circuit. Not asphalt.
Yes. Self imposed track limits and lots of grass: the way it ought to be!
Old 8 Aug 2016, 06:09 (Ref:3664244)   #172
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be called Fiat Chrysler, but its really just Fiat. But perhaps not for long.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 06:30 (Ref:3664247)   #173
carbsmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
The car is fast.
At this point no two cars in the field share the same rule book besides the Dallara and Coyote so that doesn't mean much.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3664258)   #174
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I fell asleep before the race finished.

Mazda... they just have to find new ways to throw the win away. Credit to Action Express and Taylor, they know what they're doing. It wasn't a bad race and the there was a decent amount of good overtakes. Can we get rid of the PCs now, please? Pretty please?
Old 8 Aug 2016, 13:01 (Ref:3664340)   #175
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Yup, this race was all down to the wrong strategy for Mazda. If they got a caution with about 25 minutes to go they may have been alright, but the last yellow with less than 10 did not help them. Plus Tristan didn't win any fans by taking out the Risi car today......
Risi took themselves out.