Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 15 Nov 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3780551)   #1
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Banning of tyre warming

Just reading a fascinating thread on Pistonheads about the MSA trying for some reason to ban tyre warming in speed events and drag racing.

An amendment has been released to allow it in drag racing as it is a pretty fundamental part of that sport.

But to ban it in speed events is interesting.

Does anyone know why it would even be considered a problem? Are they worried about flying debris or something?

Surely it's obvious not to walk behind a top class car when it is about to start a run if you are worried about being hit by a small piece of gravel?
Old 15 Nov 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3780558)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't read the PH thread, but I did notice there was no wheel spinning when I went to Gurston last summer. Then I saw the MSA directive.

IDK what's behind it. Health and safety? Reducing noise? Or making sure both ends of the car are at the same temperature thereby balancing the car better? I can't believe it's to save money, the MSA have never, ever done anything that's reduced costs in the long term :ROFL:

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12 May 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3821776)   #3
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Forgot about this until today at Harewood. How absurd to ban the practice which adds to the theatre of speed events , is perfectly safe (in ten years of being start line marshal I might have become near deaf but was never run over ) and serves a useful purpose .

It is exactly the sort of idiotic ruling which devalues the sport by imposing petty restrictions for their own sake - I hope Dave Richards in his MSA capacity might be able to say 'this is balls '...See also - stopping marshals push starting cars which I have done hundreds of times for everything from Minis to F1 cars at hillclimbs- again without incident ...
Old 13 May 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3822031)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is, can anyone tell me why it is being banned?

What does it actually achieve?

And in certain circumstances, it surely makes it more likely for a car to leave the track as the tyres might not be warm!.

The more I have to do with the MSA, the more I think they are perhaps one of the most useless, lazy, greedy, contemptible organisations I have ever come across.

And I have dealt with BRISCA, NASA and a few other racing organisations of note!
Old 5 Jun 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3827007)   #5
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
stopping marshals push starting cars which I have done hundreds of times for everything from Minis to F1 cars at hillclimbs- again without incident ...
Push starting was stopped at Harewood after two marshals were injured in separate incidents, both suffered broken bones.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3829584)   #6
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone actually seen that there’s a ban? Last time I read it, the Blue Book referred to ‘artificial menas’ (as in blankets), and I certainly was allowed to tyre warm at Wiscombe.

As I understand it some venues have been forced, Gurston had to be seen to do something to reduce noise for grumpy numpty locals, Werrington had to stop as it was causing a lot more wear on the tarmac and I don’t think the land owner was too chuffed.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3829585)   #7
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I was at Barbon last week and there was plenty of burn out action going on