Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jul 2019, 00:22 (Ref:3915583)   #301
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Agreed. I'm sure only a couple of years ago we had a record entry and it was a disaster at least until midnight. I also seemed to remember an effort being made to reduce the starting numbers in response to this, but I may be mistaken. It seems lessons are not so easily learnt.

As a non-drinker, I don't mind the late start but it will make it a long day the next day. I've never understood getting rat-arsed on Saturday, knowing you have a long day of dehydration and loud vehicles ahead of you.
Agreed I thought SRO was better than that. They don't learn lessons. 72 cars with this stupid safety car procedure they have now. This will be less of an endurance race than a series of sprints separated by respites with the yellow flag.

Still awesome to see so much depth in the field. We even have pro efforts from Ferrari and Acura. 2 let downs are no McLarens and the lack of a pro Lexus. The IMSA series along with Emil Frey last year shows that Lexus is a very good car. Surprised to see it has not caught on as much. Would love to trade the excess number of Audis and Lamboghinis for more Lexus and McLarens.
Old 3 Jul 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3915651)   #302
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Agreed I thought SRO was better than that. They don't learn lessons. 72 cars with this stupid safety car procedure they have now. This will be less of an endurance race than a series of sprints separated by respites with the yellow flag.

Still awesome to see so much depth in the field. We even have pro efforts from Ferrari and Acura. 2 let downs are no McLarens and the lack of a pro Lexus. The IMSA series along with Emil Frey last year shows that Lexus is a very good car. Surprised to see it has not caught on as much. Would love to trade the excess number of Audis and Lamboghinis for more Lexus and McLarens.
Its a shame Mclaren havent entered anything, I beleiev the rule was no PRO entries for any manufacturer that doesnt have something running full season in Endurance, I may be wrong. That said, it seems silly that they didnt enter some cars in Silver and PRO-AM to get some experience in the new 720s GT3 on Pirelli's, seeing as the bulk of their live racing experience so far has been on Michelins.
Old 3 Jul 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3915717)   #303
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Modified Porsche Cup Car set to be 73rd entry. https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...y-for-24h-spa/
Old 3 Jul 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3915720)   #304
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Modified Porsche Cup Car set to be 73rd entry. https://sportscar365.com/sro/blancpa...y-for-24h-spa/
Looks interesting and all, but despite the reasoning they gave for it, the question remains...

...why?
Old 3 Jul 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3915740)   #305
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree with others who have mentioned 16:30 being a late start time, frustrating in my opinion because you get only 5 and a bit hours of day light running until the sun rises. SRO don’t cover much during the dark hours so i find it a little depressing not to get much coverage for the first half of the race
Old 3 Jul 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3915742)   #306
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Looks interesting and all, but despite the reasoning they gave for it, the question remains...

...why?
Because they can??
Old 4 Jul 2019, 03:11 (Ref:3915791)   #307
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

More diversity in the field would be nice. The German makes usually dominate the list. Hopefully there's more Lexus and McLarens in the near future.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3916676)   #308
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Japanese Autosport web is reporting Stephane Ratel interview.
https://www.as-web.jp/sports-car/500609?all

*Four pillars for the success of customer racing cars
To succeed in GT3 as a customer racing car, you have to reduce costs.
It's very simple.
The only engine rebuild cost is high manufacturer is Ferrari. But that's because of their brand value.
The price of the chassis must be less than EUR 400,000 in Europe,
the life of the engine must be 20,000 km,
and the rebuild cost must be reasonable.
This is the basis for success with GT3.
Besides, the assistants are also important, and if the team needs parts, they have to build a system to order them on PC and must arrive within 48 hours.
Selling prices, running costs, assistants, and manufacturer support.
This is an important four pillar in customer racing.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3917336)   #309
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Another Blancpain GT Sprint Race ... another Safety Car on the first lap.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:58 (Ref:3917512)   #310
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Race 2 managed without a red. Sprint just isn't doing it for me this year.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3917559)   #311
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Race 2 managed without a red. Sprint just isn't doing it for me this year.

I kinda feel the same between all three championships, Europe, Asia, America.

Be nice to see some more variety throughout.

Maybe a bit of a shake up is needed
Old 14 Jul 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3917566)   #312
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After lap 1 today im not sure there was an on track overtake throughout the rest of the race.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3917614)   #313
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
After lap 1 today im not sure there was an on track overtake throughout the rest of the race.
I was thinking the same.

Actually, I found that race utterly boring.
Apart from the start and the pitstops nothing happened.

If F1 are using the same layout (are they, or they race a slightly different version?) then I fear we might be in for another procession...
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3917910)   #314
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know if this fits in here, but it's made the rounds that Jose-Maria Lopez has left his spot at the Land Motorsport Audi for the Spa 24. SC365 reports that it was a joint/mutual decision by Audi Sport and Lopez himself for him to vacate the seat. Audi Sport would be interested in Lopez driving for one of their GT3 teams at a later date.

DTM regular Jamie Green will be Lopez' replacement.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3917914)   #315
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't know if this fits in here, but it's made the rounds that Jose-Maria Lopez has left his spot at the Land Motorsport Audi for the Spa 24. SC365 reports that it was a joint/mutual decision by Audi Sport and Lopez himself for him to vacate the seat. Audi Sport would be interested in Lopez driving for one of their GT3 teams at a later date.

DTM regular Jamie Green will be Lopez' replacement.

Don’t really rate Lopez, he’s been poor in FE and average in WEC.

He was only really strong in the old WTCC because he had the best car
Old 15 Jul 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3917947)   #316
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I think Lopez was an odd choice anyway.
There are more than enough Audi-affiliated drivers to pick from, so why go for Lopez?
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3919024)   #317
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Looking forward to this weekend, very hot weather due all week at SPA, with showers/thunderstorms at the weekend
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3919032)   #318
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looking forward to this weekend, very hot weather due all week at SPA, with showers/thunderstorms at the weekend
Despite a current temp of 35.5C, several teams are busy building arks!!

Old 24 Jul 2019, 05:45 (Ref:3919138)   #319
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Don’t really rate Lopez, he’s been poor in FE and average in WEC.

He was only really strong in the old WTCC because he had the best car
He was good before WTCC and has good results in other touring car series in Argentina plus ran in FIA GT (and an ALMS race) in the past. Formula E seems to have taken a downturn maybe due to the team because before the new rules he was scoring points regularly.

I find it crazy that a factory Toyota driver in the wec was contracted to run an Audi, but then again Buemi runs a Nissan in F-E and a Red Bull Honda test driver in F1
Old 24 Jul 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3919157)   #320
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Staying about 10 miles from Spa for the weekend and it,s been 36/37 degrees for most of the week with not much let up during the evening.

There have been warning all week in France regarding dangerously high temps for today & tomorrow - gonna make it interesting if it is very changeable at the weekend.

My third visit for this race and rather looking forward to it I must say. Have a feeling that it might be a bit of a crash fest but hopefully not
Old 24 Jul 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3919173)   #321
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Staying about 10 miles from Spa for the weekend and it,s been 36/37 degrees for most of the week with not much let up during the evening.

There have been warning all week in France regarding dangerously high temps for today & tomorrow - gonna make it interesting if it is very changeable at the weekend.

My third visit for this race and rather looking forward to it I must say. Have a feeling that it might be a bit of a crash fest but hopefully not
Rain due for the race though right?
Old 24 Jul 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3919211)   #322
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not looking forward to the Spa 24 as much as in past years. The fears of carnage and safety cars is the reason. I think the all green Lime Rock 2 hour and 40 minute race we just got is going to be more of a proper endurance race than Spa. Maybe we can get some attrition by the last quarter and get something proper at that point. Best hope I think. If there will be carnage let it happen in the first 18 hours and clear the way for the last 6.

It would be foolish for the cars, teams, and drivers to anything but drive conservatively for the first 18 hours. Nobody is going to run away and lap the field since safety cars will pull them back so just don't fall a lap down.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3919216)   #323
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Not looking forward to the Spa 24 as much as in past years. The fears of carnage and safety cars is the reason. I think the all green Lime Rock 2 hour and 40 minute race we just got is going to be more of a proper endurance race than Spa. Maybe we can get some attrition by the last quarter and get something proper at that point. Best hope I think. If there will be carnage let it happen in the first 18 hours and clear the way for the last 6.

It would be foolish for the cars, teams, and drivers to anything but drive conservatively for the first 18 hours. Nobody is going to run away and lap the field since safety cars will pull them back so just don't fall a lap down.

We’ve certainly seen some carnage heavy Years recently, hoping there’s some sensible heads on in the first few hours.

I think with somewhere the length of Spa, you could do slow zones like they do in VLN and N24, would be a nicer solution to extending spells between safety cars.

I like many hate this SRO thing of a safety car after a FCY
Old 24 Jul 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3919228)   #324
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Rain due for the race though right?
This being Spa, all forecasts need to be taken lightly.

Even more so when most forecasts I have been following are showing a ~50% chance of ran at any given moment all of Sat and Sun, possibility of storms, sunny spells and temperatures varying between 18 and 27C.

In other words, no idea, it could be anything. I am packing for all seasons.

I'm also considering not even going to the track until early evening. The prospect of hanging out in rain/sun/whatever until a 1630 start, surrounded by lots of drunken fans (the Spa 24 crowd can be quite hardcore) is not appealing, especially since I agree that the first few hours are likely to be carnage. From dusk on Sat until lunchtime on Sun is likely to be a much more enjoyable experience.

Quote:
I like many hate this SRO thing of a safety car after a FCY
It's a disgrace, an absolute blight on the race, shameful.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3919292)   #325
Bcarr6
Veteran

Are we missing a race thread for the Spa 24?