Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Apr 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3527801)   #151
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I agree with a lot of what's been said above - but are some people under the impression that this project was intended to roll out with a new bespoke P2 design? I don't remember reading that anywhere in the brief. They were planning to get the online part running, then get a factory and purchase a P2 chassis. The re-badging concept is disappointing and needless IMO.

As a lot of people said at the start of this, you're putting money in at your own risk. Which is what I did. I got told it was a massive announcement and incredible news for sportscars. And that's fine. It was worth a try I guess.
Perhaps the P2 car was always going to be some rent chassis, yes (even though messages like this are sort of contradicting it by suggesting that prior P2-spec-rules it was going to be something else than just rebadge...???), but these PR lines from last Fall get funnier and funnier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabham.co.uk, October 2014
The engineering challenges will become much more complex, increasing in both the level of difficulty and interactivity as Brabham Racing strives to become an LMP1 constructor by 2018. The design of the team’s first LMP1 car could start as soon as 2016, which would reflect Brabham-Engineer tasks as complex as designing a complete chassis. --
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiawec.com, September 2014
-- In year four, the marque aims to return as a constructor by way of LMP1, with firm intentions of winning the only world title for sportscars and the greatest endurance race on earth, the Le Mans 24 Hours.
Not to even mention F1...
Old 15 Apr 2015, 22:06 (Ref:3527804)   #152
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
If I recall correctly, just prior to Silverstone Hindy mentioned that he was at Brabham's to talk about the progress of Project Brabham, when he accidentally got the news about Brabs' drive with ESM. So I suspect there's an announcement/big interview/inside programme coming from RLM.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 09:54 (Ref:3527886)   #153
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Accidentally"? Did he rifle through the letters on Brabham's desk?
Old 16 Apr 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3527904)   #154
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have written my thoughts on this in prior posts, but with really nothing else being told to the public by this group, that I am aware of, all I can assume now, is that not enough "begging funding" was raised to fund the project and it isn't going to happen.

If so, what becomes of the money people did donate? Is there any accountability?

Somewhere along the line, one would assume there has to be some legal regulations in place that govern something like this? Or is it allowed that basically anyone can promote a scheme like this for profit, be that unintentional or not, it is profit none the less if it was achieved in way of donations by the public, expecting to see something in return.

Shame really and cannot imagine anyone can see it as having enhanced the Brabham name or reputation.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 14:11 (Ref:3527942)   #155
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
I have written my thoughts on this in prior posts, but with really nothing else being told to the public by this group, that I am aware of, all I can assume now, is that not enough "begging funding" was raised to fund the project and it isn't going to happen.

If so, what becomes of the money people did donate? Is there any accountability?

Somewhere along the line, one would assume there has to be some legal regulations in place that govern something like this? Or is it allowed that basically anyone can promote a scheme like this for profit, be that unintentional or not, it is profit none the less if it was achieved in way of donations by the public, expecting to see something in return.

Shame really and cannot imagine anyone can see it as having enhanced the Brabham name or reputation.

Didn't they reach what they wanted on the crowd funding site though. So surely they had enough to make ground, when you set an amount to reach you need a forecast and plan to go with it.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3527953)   #156
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post

One of the terms for submitting your hard earned cash for these folks was that there was going to be no refunds, whatever happened.

I don't think this will change their reputation to any direction though, the PR it created was so small to begin with that people will forget it quicky. Mass media didn't really pay much attention to it, evn the quick Caterham cash-in had more impact
Old 23 Jun 2015, 04:52 (Ref:3553223)   #157
ModelT
Rookie

ModelT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I read the interview with Brabham at Le Mans, and it would seem this project has become one of constantly variable goal posts

One has to wonder if it will ever see the light of day in any format? Perhaps I shall not hold my breath on that.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 09:10 (Ref:3553259)   #158
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the interview and while it was obviously with a bit of PR spin, it did sound positive. He said enough money was raised to out together a workable and profitable business model and this is currently being circulated to potential sponsors and stakeholders. I can't recall exactly what the goals and milestones were, but it was a feasible proposition.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3553374)   #159
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
right. Once you have collected enough money, say a quarter million pounds, paid yourself, and paid 500 to 5000 for a standard website, you potentially have money left, i.e., are profitable.

I've heard a bunch of nigerian princes try to meet up with David to crown him one of their own.

Naturally these nigerian princes each have north of 500M pounds, they only need some account to transfer to! => Instant Brabham F1
Old 23 Jun 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3553434)   #160
ModelT
Rookie

ModelT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
right. Once you have collected enough money, say a quarter million pounds, paid yourself, and paid 500 to 5000 for a standard website, you potentially have money left, i.e., are profitable.

I've heard a bunch of nigerian princes try to meet up with David to crown him one of their own.

Naturally these nigerian princes each have north of 500M pounds, they only need some account to transfer to! => Instant Brabham F1
Too funny

But I do not believe he is in the prince's league. I also do not believe that "charity racing" is demonstrating a real serious face to the world of your true desire to race.

If right now, LMP2 is their stated goal and someone like Mr. Brabham, through his own pocket or business connections which one assumes after all of these years in the business, he must have? If he cannot raise enough funds/sponsorship to set up his own team now, then everything else he has said about doing LMP1, is merely a pipe dream, and then the whole project becomes questionable to my mind.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 01:06 (Ref:3593550)   #161
Deleted
Veteran

Echo.

Echo.

Has this... thing been put to it's grave already? Have the "supporters" got their behind-the-scenes extras as they we're promised?
Old 27 Nov 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3593614)   #162
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who could want more than the Official Certificate* ?

* That you have to print out yourself and write your own name on.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 10:05 (Ref:3593622)   #163
Deleted
Veteran

A4 black and white stock picture of David Brabham that I can blu-tack on my toilet wall?

Perhaps accompanied by some darts?
Old 27 Nov 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3593647)   #164
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
There was a bit on mwm about a month ago. Sounded like still looking for money, except this time from investors, not fans contributing 20 dollars a pop.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3593648)   #165
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But its a trans-media fan-inclusive crowd-sourced jargon-powered imaginary race team!
Old 27 Nov 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3593655)   #166
Deleted
Veteran

Well, the yatch they bought with the fan money, they could always rent it to some rich gentlemen hobbyists for weekends, to aid the next crucial stage of funding: maintaining the yatch, and fueling it on regular basis. It's no use having it if you can't use it due to not wanting to spend your own pennies.

I hear the yatch is called "Thanks"
Old 27 Nov 2015, 15:10 (Ref:3593673)   #167
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be fair, their plans to build their own p2 car were stomped out by the ACO.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3593688)   #168
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Why doesn't he just take one of the four contracted chassis, develop bodywork for the car, run it in IMSA (did the IMSA P2 rules transfer to the ELMS as well?), paint in green and gold, and call it a Brabham.

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 27 Nov 2015 at 16:29.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3593698)   #169
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Didn't they say pretty early on that they'd probably just take some rent chassis and rebadge it as Brabham...

And if they don't have money (even after "succeeding the first stage of funding") to get some old Courage Oreca or whatever, how where they ever planning to build something of their own in any capacity...
Old 1 Dec 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3594748)   #170
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
David Brabham is perceptive, genuine, candid, and driven in his talking. However many donors had sort of reached a saturation point. If he doesn't start running cars I know many people that will ask their cash back!
Old 1 Dec 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3594814)   #171
Deleted
Veteran

Seems like this was a big thing couple of weeks ago, one year anniversary?
https://mobile.twitter.com/BrabhamOf...76401675038720

Anyway, since the last post, apparently there is now "progression", as "most likely" they could rent some P2 for partial 2016 season, ahead of "potential" 2017 campaign.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...ng-likely.html

Meanwhile, the new technical advisor has lots to say about the much talked innovation and unrivaled access the team is about to bring to the table, if the "hopes" of actually getting to the track materialize
http://www.brabham-digital.com/blog/...hine-Learning/

"I'm confident"
"Me too"
"As am I"
Old 1 Dec 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3594823)   #172
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sadly I think the ACO has killed this project. When Hindy interviewed David a few weeks back, it seemed as if they've made no progress other than still "looking for partners"
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Dec 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3594824)   #173
Deleted
Veteran

I've blamed ACO on number of occassions similar to this, and certainly the LMP2 evolution is a fiasco in general, but as I sort of referenced couple of posts earlier, I really cannot here. Brabs wouldn't have even half the dime for that as for some rental (which even that still is utopia)

But hey, guess some people still expect them to be on F1?
https://mobile.twitter.com/BrabhamOf...63100878729216
Old 1 Dec 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3594825)   #174
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Sorry don't believe new LMP2 rules damaged this project.

Building a LMP2 car from scratch requires more resources than just running a hired or purchased LMP2 car.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3594876)   #175
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Agreed, this project seems to be low on funding, that is the main problem.

I don't think you can crowd-fund racing teams/cars. Perrin tried it and it didn't work and it won't work for Brabham either.

There's simply not enough incentive for people to put large amounts of money into it and the bit you can get from enthusiastic fans isn't nearly enough to get such a program off the ground.