Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1329933)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here are my choices...
(io = in order, r = random)

Drivers of the Prewar Era (r):
Tazio Nuvolari
Bernd Rosemeyer

Drivers of the 50s (io):
Fangio
Ascari
Nuvolari

Drivers of the 60s (io):
Clark
G Hill
Brabham

Drivers of the 70s (r):
Lauda
Stewart
Fittipaldi

Drivers of the 80s (io):
Prost
Piquet
Senna
Mansell (even though he didn't win any titles, purely by luck though, or rather the lack thereof...)

Drivers of the 90s (io):
Senna
M.Schumacher
Häkkinen
Mansell

Drivers of the 00s (io):
M.Schumacher
Kimi Räikkönen
Fernando Alonso
Old 15 Jun 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1329955)   #27
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very difficult to say who was the driver of the 90s, but I think it goes between Schuey and Mika. Schuey claimed 2 world titles in a car that was not really the best, and his drive to second place at Barcelone stuck in 5th gear was only worthy of a genius! However, Mika seemed to extract that extra speed from the car that no one thought was there, and when he was on it, no-one could stop him at all!!

Esteban Tuero deserves a mention as well for qualifying 17th on his debut in a Minardi at just 19 years old.......maybe not!
Old 15 Jun 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1329967)   #28
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about the 00s, I think we have a fairly accurate idea of who is who. Apart from MS who is the obvious top of the list, I think we have to include Kimi and Alonso (alonso for this year, Kimi for 2003 and this year) and JPM (for 2003). Someone might also say Button, but I'm still not convinced that guy's so good (yeah, I know half of you think i'm stupid now )
Old 16 Jun 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1330126)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Here are my choices...
(io = in order, r = random)

Drivers of the Prewar Era (r):
Tazio Nuvolari
Bernd Rosemeyer

Drivers of the 50s (io):
Fangio
Ascari
Nuvolari

Drivers of the 60s (io):
Clark
G Hill
Brabham
Is this spot the deliberate mistake? Nuvolari was a mere shadow of his former great self after the war and died in 1953. However, since one of the greatest F1 drivers, and arguably the greatest all round driver of all time, Stirling Moss is missing from this list, I guess he was maybe the intended name under Fangio & Ascari!!

We seem to have hijacked this thread which was about the driver of the 90's, so, for my part, apologies to beau1!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1330298)   #30
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for there is only one answer

the great M.Schumacher
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1330366)   #31
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah.
Fangio will always be better than MS.
He drove much deadlier machines at speed (he really must of had tennis ball size ones), while MS is too much of little girl and will never concider driving an oval.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1330373)   #32
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My head says Nige. He, Senna and Berger were the last of a generation of drivers we havn't seen since. However, my head says Schuey. He's the only driver who was there for the long run (91-99) in which the time he won 3 World titles, could've won at least a couple more (And possibly less, but that's motor racing). Coming upa close second is Mika, who started a couple of races earlier but didn't have all the oppertunities at the start of his career.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1330433)   #33
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Is this spot the deliberate mistake? Nuvolari was a mere shadow of his former great self after the war and died in 1953. However, since one of the greatest F1 drivers, and arguably the greatest all round driver of all time, Stirling Moss is missing from this list, I guess he was maybe the intended name under Fangio & Ascari!!

We seem to have hijacked this thread which was about the driver of the 90's, so, for my part, apologies to beau1!
Uh oh, made a little mistake there...

I first put Nuvolari in the 50's list, but remembered that it was in the prewar era where he shone the most, so I added him in the prewar list along with Rosemeyer and forgot to put Moss back in the 50's section...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1330532)   #34
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Nah.
Fangio will always be better than MS.
Certainly not when the question is: "Who was the best driver between 1990 and 1999".
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1330539)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess it just goes to show that no matter how well-intentioned a thread like this starts out, hijacking is inevitable and the question is frankly unanswerable - well, perhaps not on a wholly individual basis, but certainly depending on your age, your era and your particular hero(s), the answers will vary enormously.....