Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Dec 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2807480)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Top Gear - Series 16

So..... Series 15 has ended with an american road trip,

Series 16 kicks off with a middle-eastern jaunt starting in Iraq.

It is definitely being hyped up to be a special episode to start Series 16 with, here's hoping......
Old 23 Dec 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2807925)   #2
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Loved the preview of S15 in the last episode... especially the 2 cars ontop of each other race.. with the bottom car controlling the breaking and acceleration.. and top car doing the steering... This has been done before I hear you say... yes but the top car was not upside down! hah!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2809119)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Ah so no chat about the new episode? It wast THAT bad was it

I quite enjoyed it... Thr bit through the desert was a bit OTT though...

Glad James is OK though... OUCH!

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2809121)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought that the Boxing Day Special was fantastic and was way better then then the pre-xmas show.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2809213)   #5
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I thought that the Boxing Day Special was fantastic and was way better then then the pre-xmas show.
I felt it was the other way round! But the boxing day special was still pretty good. I don't mind them being idiots when it's actually funny, which they mostly were this time out

And I bet Jesus is kicking himself for being born in the past now. Instead of Myrrh he could have had a Nintendo DS!
Old 29 Dec 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2809219)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We'll have to incorporate the footage of James with the snatch strap in our powerpoint lecture on off road driving and recovery.

I thought it was a great special and really enjoyed it.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2809320)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Netflix needs to catch up with the DVDs, been watching Series 10, 11 and 12 since they have it streaming. I don't think I had made it to Series 13 on BBC America, and now no cable at home to try to catch up there.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2819562)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Top Gear returns tonight in the UK. 8:00pm on BBC2. Is this the pukka Series 16 then?
Old 23 Jan 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2819665)   #9
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Hmmm episode one a bit same-ish?

Enjoy John Bishop... and I liked the beetle thing in Sarf Efrica only for the quality saffa accent... wun twho free!

V8 atom! Nice ... but deadly

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2819670)   #10
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any bets on who was the new STIG?

Maybe Tiff done a lap or two in the Atom whilst he was there ?
Old 23 Jan 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2819672)   #11
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Series 16...

as an opener, bit cr*p really
Old 23 Jan 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2819673)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Hmmm episode one a bit same-ish?

Enjoy John Bishop... and I liked the beetle thing in Sarf Efrica only for the quality saffa accent... wun twho free!

V8 atom! Nice ... but deadly
John Bishop was great and the Atom was impressive, but ÂŁ150k???
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL View Post
Any bets on who was the new STIG?

Maybe Tiff done a lap or two in the Atom whilst he was there ?
Not going to speculate about the new Stig - give the guy a chance!

But Tiff drove the Atom in the race against the bike, didn't he? Liked that but thought the Atom should have won more easily - much faster through the corners.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 00:25 (Ref:2819688)   #13
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Liked that but thought the Atom should have won more easily - much faster through the corners.
Jeez...high power bike with top rider, should hammer a car every time. Top marks to the Atom driver for keeping up(tip. watch Tiff driving the Lister knobbly Jag sideways power slideing.....similar or what)
Old 24 Jan 2011, 00:54 (Ref:2819692)   #14
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Once the bike got ahead off the start it was always going to be difficult for the car to safely pass the bike? Bike good down the straights car much better in the breaking? Also a bit of Top Gear staging... so you will never know.

Also can the Tom Cruise and whats her face's times be trusted? John Bishop was pretty darn fast though.

Two new lap records in one show!? Pitty they didnt put the bikes laptime on its own down.

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2819910)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Two new lap records in one show!? Pitty they didnt put the bikes laptime on its own down.
Call me cynical, but the lap times seemed to be almost too good. It was as though they were doing everything they could to make the old Stig look bad.

Having said that I could believe the Ariel Atom's time because the power-to-weight ratio of that thing is phenomenal and either they or the new Stig seem to have sorted out the handling. I enjoyed the power oversteer because it was very well controlled. Almost Hamiltonesque!
Old 24 Jan 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2819960)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventually they need to let the old Stig thing go. Or now, otherwise it will be an old out of date joke. Probably most casual viewers don't know or care really.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2820061)   #17
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quite pleased that John Bishop set the fastest lap, as watching it I was thinking "hmm, this IS a good lap..."
Old 24 Jan 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2820142)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't a car racing against another dropped from a great height done by Mythbusters in their latest series shown on Discovery?
OK tarted up in their own style with the Porsche Beetle scenario, but not for the first time borrowing from another show. (In fairness Mythbusters copied the escaping from a car under water after Hammond did it).
Old 25 Jan 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2820152)   #19
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
I believe mythbusters copied the car drop thing from a commercial? (how very american) Mythbusters were too scared to do the driving themselves though so had to do it via remote control... Maybe to make an hour show out of quite a simple task really :P

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2823804)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... in two shows so far this series they've used 3 'stigs'.

And Tiff.

I reckon it's a smoke screen.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2823839)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you mean, it's actually hammond, they just sped the video up a bit?

(on a side note, john bishop is one of the only standup acts who actually genuinely make me fall about laughing. he's very funny for a scouser )
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2823859)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
So... in two shows so far this series they've used 3 'stigs'.
Only 3? I've counted at least 4 so far -
Proton rally Stig
Ferrari GTO track test Stig
Ariel Atom track test Stig
Skoda road test Stig

Incidentally, judging by the state of Donington track in the Skoda test that must have been filmed at least 6-9 months ago, before Ben Collins was replaced. Although it may not have been him in that film how much other Collins-era Stig footage has yet to be broadcast?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2824006)   #23
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I bow to redshoes unparalleled geekery - there have been four stigs!

I agree with bella re John Bishop - I saw him at Manchester Comedy Store a matter of weeks before he broke big on telly. Absolutely fall about hilarious.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2824164)   #24
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The Aussie blokes weren't very funny, were they? I was expecting a better class of sledge.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2824165)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sheep flopping over the fence was the best piece of television I have ever seen.