Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2005, 05:15 (Ref:1461969)   #26
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
they will stay for a few years, then Ferrari will lobby to be allowed to build a V12 or V10 for 'safety reasons', Max will agree to it under 'cost cutting measures', then the race to build the new engine and chassis begins again. I prefer the open cylinder format, that builders can use as many or few cylinders as they like, so long as they don't exceed the displacement of 2.4litres. Who knows, some enterprising engineer may find (as did Ducati) that a huge V Twin gives better drive out of the corners than a V8?
Old 16 Nov 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1461975)   #27
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2.4 is an ugly number. Id rather it be 3 or 2.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1462074)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actual 2.4 is quite a beautiful number. Nicely divisible by 2,3,4,6,8,12. 8 being the key now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer
If FIA was to ban some of the aero and electronic aids, engineers would focus on the engine developement and I wouldn't be surprised seeing a 2.4l V8 producing over 900 or 950 HP.
I don't think the electronic aids or aero have had any detrimental effect on engine power development. 950bhp from a 3l engine is very impressive.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1462205)   #29
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This minimum weight for the engine of 95 KGs seems a bit pointless to me.

Presumeably because they think it will ban exotic materials and reduce costs, but this must be nonsense

the rich teams will simply have motors that weight the most at the base, with extremely light top ends,thus reducing centre of gravity. As they do with the rest of the car right now in fact.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1462214)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are also rules defining the minimum c.o.g. of the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA 2006 tech rules
5.5.2 The centre of gravity of the engine may not lie less than 165mm above the reference plane.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1462227)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=AdamAshmore I don't think the electronic aids or aero have had any detrimental effect on engine power development. 950bhp from a 3l engine is very impressive.[/QUOTE]

Incredibly so i'd say!

These things are gonna be revving so madly that we could be in for serious detonations and extra strength ear plus for driver and everyone trackside? But then again reliability is improving all the time..

Does anyone actually know what they sound like?
Old 16 Nov 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1462237)   #32
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think the engine rules have been made as such so that it is basicly what happens in the combustion chamber that will make the difference.I don't think there's any chance of going back to V12's or even V10's,more likely it'll be a 1.8 V6.Where will it all end!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1462261)   #33
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I think the engine rules have been made as such so that it is basicly what happens in the combustion chamber that will make the difference.I don't think there's any chance of going back to V12's or even V10's,more likely it'll be a 1.8 V6.Where will it all end!
Standard engine blocks, all produced under the supervision of Max!

During the past decade the FIA introduced more and more regulations. It didn't really improve the racing.

If Max really wants to slow down the cars, he should increase the minimum weight and ban refuelling. To reduce the costs, he could introduce the standard, but totally adaptable ECU and allow teams to share chassis, parts and designs.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1462269)   #34
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Five years ago we had lots of power but not much aero (relatively).Now we have a lot less power and loads of aero.Two different ways of achieving the same goal.However the former would seem to be the most entertaining way of achieving that goal.I have a feeling that some of the more mediocre drivers will perform a lot better next season,simply because the cars will be easier to drive...

...Next year if the cars do get anywhere near this years lap times it will be because of aero and tyre improvements and not engine improvements.
Agree with you entirely. Less power, more grip and electrical wizardry is the complete opposite to what F1 needs to make it more interesting to watch and allow the best drivers to show off their skills.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1462307)   #35
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 has ALWAYS been about technical wizardry.

If people want a dumbed down less technical racing series they should follow Champ Car.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1462333)   #36
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
After a few years everyone settled on V10s and eventually the FIA made V10s mandatory. This stopped the potentially expensive route of developing another configuration and no one complained. Although IIRC Toyota was rumoured to be looking at a V12 and maybe Ferrari.
Uhm, Ferrari did complain. And Toyota, not only that they complained, but they also delayed their entry by 1 year paying a hefty fine in the process, because that was the only engine that they had by that time.

PS: FIA didn't make V10 mandatory, they delayed other configurations until 2007 when it should be free for all again. It's 2006 and we have 2.4 V8 formula
Old 16 Nov 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1462337)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
F1 has ALWAYS been about technical wizardry.

If people want a dumbed down less technical racing series they should follow Champ Car.

AH but nowadys the engine/car firms rule the roost so the 'technical' aspect is arrowed much more towards suiting them than the teams 'own' development themselves if you know what i mean...it's not just about devilishly good chassis or aero wizardry anymore.

But under ridiculous current costs climate the teams rely heavily on the manufacturers for financial and development costs - and they keep on spending- Once manufacturers have enough know how on the car technical side they buy out the team and eun it themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Standard engine blocks, all produced under the supervision of Max!

During the past decade the FIA introduced more and more regulations. It didn't really improve the racing.

If Max really wants to slow down the cars, he should increase the minimum weight and ban refuelling. To reduce the costs, he could introduce the standard, but totally adaptable ECU and allow teams to share chassis, parts and designs.
Absolutely! Well almost, let the manufacturers go beserk with engine development (that way they can have their head with technical superiority if they want) but rationalise chassis and add on stuff a bit more - that way costs are better managed, speeds are kept resonable and competition is greater?
Old 16 Nov 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1462346)   #38
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Well almost, let the manufacturers go beserk with engine development (that way they can have their head with technical superiority if they want) but rationalise chassis and add on stuff a bit more - that way costs are better managed, speeds are kept resonable and competition is greater?
Spot on - not far off the turbo era approach. And I remember some pretty good racing as a result, as well as lots of innovation.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1462388)   #39
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We had this debate this time last year when the drivers first sat in the hybred cars with reduced aero - complaints about lack of grip and how slow the cars will be.

I think once the final versions of the V8's are integrated into cars designed specifically for them, they won't be as slow as the modified versions that are hitting the tracks in winter testing.

It's early days and although I loved the scream of the V10, there is a also a certain something about a V8. I would also expect that power levels will rise steeply as the development kicks in and the rev range expands.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1462427)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that percentagewise over a period of time, it's much more difficult to find power from the engine than it is to get downforce from the aerodynamics.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1462476)   #41
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think that percentagewise over a period of time, it's much more difficult to find power from the engine than it is to get downforce from the aerodynamics.

True, but I don't believe that any of the manufacturers are showing their hand yet, I doubt that the current 'gap' will be anything like it is now come the first race and by mid season there will be more gains.

We have also been used to huge increase in speeds inbetween the 2000 to 2004 seasons as tyre development drove lap times down.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1462491)   #42
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
By the coming generation V8's the vibration will be an important issue. After the first tests many drivers complained about headache.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1462493)   #43
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Absolutely! Well almost, let the manufacturers go beserk with engine development (that way they can have their head with technical superiority if they want) but rationalise chassis and add on stuff a bit more - that way costs are better managed, speeds are kept resonable and competition is greater?
If teams may share chassis, parts and designs, the costs will be better managed. What's wrong with Midland buying the same car as used by McLaren? It would spice up the competition, because a team doesn't even need to have a factory to have a chance of winning the race.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1462680)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... isn't it the fundamental base in Formula One ? Changing this wouldn't be F1 anymore.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1462688)   #45
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
By the coming generation V8's the vibration will be an important issue. After the first tests many drivers complained about headache.
This problem happens in a lot of carbon tub cars, it can be significantly reduced by careful seat design for the driver.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1462975)   #46
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Uhn... isn't it the fundamental base in Formula One ? Changing this wouldn't be F1 anymore.
What's a fundamental base in Formula 1? That teams are obliged to construct their own chassis? Well, in the 1970's the teams weren't obliged to do so. So, why does Formula 1 need that rule any way?
Old 17 Nov 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1463079)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Low peor but high grip is not really the right way to go, even if some of the effect of reducing engine capacity will certainly be nullified once the cars are designed around it. Is there a historical precedent in era when power has reduced or grip increased for the quality of driver to make a smaller impact (I realise that his is subjective and involves multiple driver comparisons, but it's worth looking at), or this just a wild theory?
Old 17 Nov 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1463147)   #48
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im not sure.. could 1988 or 1989 be an example ??

The end of the turbo era would have seen reduced horsepower (or reduced boost in 1988 in McLarens case).

At the same time aerodynamics would have still been developing i would assume.

Thus we would have increased grip but reduced power around this period.