Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2973811)   #176
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Interesting how different people read the sport. I think they are both better drivers than Seb but not by a huge amount. Lewis is a fantastic qualifier as he demonstrated in '07 alongside an experienced teammate and in '08 against a Ferrari who many thought was the better car for most of that year. I also think 2009 showed his outright speed with 2 poles in the latter part of that season against a Red Bull that had evolved into the car to beat after Button's amazing start to the season.
The 2 seasons you mention, Lewis had 13 great pole positions (although wasn't one of those a result of Lewis and Fernando's temper tantrum that lead to Fernando's grid penalty at Hungary in '07 ? - but i digress!) - 13 poles in 2 seasons, which is only 1 more than Seb has managed in 1 season.

With regards to '09, sure the car started out a bit of a dog (although fast enough to get himself a podium till he lied to the stewards, but again, i digress ) but by the end of the season, the car had improved by 2 seconds a lap.

Quote:

Still if we all thought the same there wouldn't be anything to discuss.
Indeed, the world (or this forum at least) would be a very boring place!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2973821)   #177
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
The 2 seasons you mention, Lewis had 13 great pole positions (although wasn't one of those a result of Lewis and Fernando's temper tantrum that lead to Fernando's grid penalty at Hungary in '07 ? - but i digress!) - 13 poles in 2 seasons, which is only 1 more than Seb has managed in 1 season.

With regards to '09, sure the car started out a bit of a dog (although fast enough to get himself a podium till he lied to the stewards, but again, i digress ) but by the end of the season, the car had improved by 2 seconds a lap.
I'm glad you agree. 13 poles in 2 season's is not bad at all.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2973861)   #178
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
No points for pole positions, however. Maybe something wrong with the regulations? Or just not that important any more? Certainly the pole position that Hamilton recently got, didn't actually amount to very much in the race.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2973870)   #179
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm glad you agree. 13 poles in 2 season's is not bad at all.
But 12 in 1 season (that isn't over yet) is better
Old 19 Oct 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2973999)   #180
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
No points for pole positions, however. Maybe something wrong with the regulations? Or just not that important any more? Certainly the pole position that Hamilton recently got, didn't actually amount to very much in the race.
A little bit like 2002 when quite often a Williams would annex pole only to get blown away over 65 odd laps on a Sunday.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2974058)   #181
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
A little bit like 2002 when quite often a Williams would annex pole only to get blown away over 65 odd laps on a Sunday.
Indeed. And back then you could do pretty much what you wanted to do to the car in between qualifying and the race! Pretty much build one car for qually and one for the race. It's much more of a compromise now.