Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Nov 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3688855)   #1476
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I like the idea of dpi running manufacture inspired looks, but not a fan of the spec involved in the rules. If there is an advantage included in manufacture branding then it should be promoted rather than equalized.
You should post this more in every thread. It never gets old.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3688856)   #1477
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
You should post this more in every thread. It never gets old.
Why do I find it ironic that Riley were involved with both the design of this beautiful Mazda shape......and the manky/ugly shape of the Riley LMP3, it really does require "beer goggles".....am i missing something?......how on earth can that happen?
Old 17 Nov 2016, 15:15 (Ref:3688858)   #1478
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Why do I find it ironic that Riley were involved with both the design of this beautiful Mazda shape......and the manky/ugly shape of the Riley LMP3, it really does require "beer goggles".....am i missing something?......how on earth can that happen?
Also what LMP2 tub is this Mazda based on?.....Oreca, Ligier, Dallara, Riley-Multimatics, I'm guessing the latter???.....but the customer Riley-Multimatics LMP2 hasnt surfaced yet - right?
Old 17 Nov 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3688859)   #1479
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Like it's been said a million times before...it's base is the Riley.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 15:45 (Ref:3688867)   #1480
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If i understand correctly the IMSA rules... the rear end of this car will be equal to Riley-Multimatic, the only diference will be the front end.

Did anyone know when are we going to see the Riley MK XXX??
Old 17 Nov 2016, 16:03 (Ref:3688872)   #1481
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
If i understand correctly the IMSA rules... the rear end of this car will be equal to Riley-Multimatic, the only diference will be the front end.
No the green bits on the diagram below can be manufacturer specific

See detail here http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/DPI.asp and http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11870...pe-regulations

Mariantic
Old 17 Nov 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3688873)   #1482
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

The only bits that have to remain from the original car are the splitter, rear wing, fin, and main chassis.

All the bodywork can change.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3688874)   #1483
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic View Post
No the green bits on te diagram below can be manufacturer specific

See detail here http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/DPI.asp

Mariantic
I always felt this was the easier way to describe it. If it's dark blue it can be changed. If it's not, it can't.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3688878)   #1484
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not the first time that I have more than a feeling that, albeit not looking good or, worse, sometimes ugly, Riley shapes work more than well, simple as that!
Old 17 Nov 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3688918)   #1485
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Because trying to design purely for performance and trying to mix performance with aesthetics tends to generate different results.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3688924)   #1486
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The Visit Florida Racing car should debut in December at the Daytona test, or at the latest at the Roar in early January.

I am also interested to see the base Riley/Multimatic so we can see how much of a departure the Mazda really is.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 13:07 (Ref:3689259)   #1487
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Mazda does a duckface.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3689978)   #1488
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Because trying to design purely for performance and trying to mix performance with aesthetics tends to generate different results.
I would say that the bodywork was designed by Mazda Design Studio in California, rather than racing people, and looks like done purely for road car looks aesthetics".

Which means that I would be highly surprised if any scale model has seen a wind tunnel, or even much CFD!

Come Daytona test, I would expect to see front dive planes quickly added to get some grip.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 18:28 (Ref:3689998)   #1489
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
I would say that the bodywork was designed by Mazda Design Studio in California, rather than racing people, and looks like done purely for road car looks aesthetics".

Which means that I would be highly surprised if any scale model has seen a wind tunnel, or even much CFD!

Come Daytona test, I would expect to see front dive planes quickly added to get some grip.
I would say that is wrong. R.I.F.
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13323...=1&limitstart=

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13645...t_quarter_001a

Also, come Daytona, of course there will be some aero tuning done to the car. They all get tuned for specific track types.

L.P.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3690006)   #1490
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I would say that is wrong. R.I.F.
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13323...=1&limitstart=

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13645...t_quarter_001a

Also, come Daytona, of course there will be some aero tuning done to the car. They all get tuned for specific track types.

The applicable text from the Racer article is this:

Quote:
"While the designers have clearly defined how our brand and our vehicles looks in the marketplace, they simultaneously had to learn about what does and does not make a competitive advantage in the wind tunnel and on the race track. In the end, there were a bunch of high-fives in the design offices when the beauty of Mazda's KODO Design language also spelled positive efficiency results in the wind tunnel."
so yes, both design and aerodynamics were evaluated.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3690031)   #1491
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
REALLY???

"To have the Mazda Design offices in Japan and North America lead the [bodywork] design of this racecar is exactly what Mazda is all about ... a 'never stop challenging' spirit," Doonan said.

L.P. [/QUOTE]
Old 21 Nov 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3690038)   #1492
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
REALLY???
"To have the Mazda Design offices in Japan and North America lead the [bodywork] design of this racecar is exactly what Mazda is all about ... a 'never stop challenging' spirit," Doonan said.

What exactly did the post I responded to intimate about the RT24-P, that "the bodywork was designed by Mazda Design Studio in California" with virtually ZERO work from "racing people". That, is in fact, wrong! Also I never said that the "Mazda Design Studio in California" was not involved in the process, I refuted the assertion that there was not any racing design work involved in it ( scale aero, cfd, etc...).

L.P.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 23:18 (Ref:3690067)   #1493
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It looks good and it performs good. That's all that matters!
Old 22 Nov 2016, 01:01 (Ref:3690089)   #1494
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I'd rather racing development budgets were being spent on performance and technology than styling, but I'm just old fashioned I guess.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3690105)   #1495
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Yeah I think that was already covered above. Plus it's a dpi, they're all going to be performance balanced anyway.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3690109)   #1496
truebeliever
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It looks good and it performs good. That's all that matters!
Correct
Old 22 Nov 2016, 05:26 (Ref:3690125)   #1497
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I'd rather racing development budgets were being spent on performance and technology than styling, but I'm just old fashioned I guess.
That's the opposite of old fashioned.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3690168)   #1498
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Funny stuff here .... I cannot tell you how many people I have heard complain (and a lot of them on this site) about how ugly certain cars were. Gen 2 DPs almost without exception, the latest R18 .... bit a lot of newer prototypes, because they looked as though they were drawn mechanically by CFD programs, with shape entirely dictated by performance (you know, how Jim Hall and Colin Chapman would have done it .... what did those guys know, anyway ...)

I have also heard voluminous praise for Porsche's GT1, a car which was "styled" as well as "engineered."

Here we have stylists and engineers collaborating to produce a unique-looking and fairly attractive (by general consensus) racing car which according to tests so far, is actually also aerodynamically efficient.

Will it get dive planes? Almost certainly --- in fact adjustable dive planes are a huge part of most cars' aero packages nowadays. Were dive planes left off at the reveal because presenters wanted the car to look more sleek, without tacked-on aero aids? Almost certainly. After all, the car didn't need a lot of downforce to stay on the display stand.

So what? The basic shape is Not bland and generic, and apparently works well enough at speed that Mazda can run as near the front as the slightly underpowered and unreliable engine and sometimes ham-handed SpeedSource crew can allow it to.

Pardon me if I come across as a Mazda true believer. I have liked the company since its early rotary days, and I like its latest racing efforts. Maybe that is why I actually read its press release before commenting on the car .... maybe that's an odd thing for a true believer to do.

In any case, what we have here is reportedly an aero-efficient design which isn't a clone of the existing P2 cars and also has some roundness and flow ... a unique aesthetic which many here, at least, seem to find pleasing.

Hard to see why this should be a big cornflake-p!$$ing moment for some posters; I'd think a better looking car that is just as fast or faster would be a big step in a positive direction.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3690181)   #1499
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is very nice, the trunk is fantastic. The only ugly thing is the shark fin, but that's not Mazda's fault, it's the ACO's fault

When will the Cadillac images be?
Old 22 Nov 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3690231)   #1500
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Funny stuff here ....

Hard to see why this should be a big cornflake-p!$$ing moment for some posters; I'd think a better looking car that is just as fast or faster would be a big step in a positive direction.
Thank you for putting this together far more eloquently than I could have. It seems many are simply looking for the negative and weak points and seemingly hoping for failure rather than the success of the racing series they love, or at least like enough to follow it.