Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3131917)   #301
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
yeah thats still doable in under 3 secs depending on your body mass
Until it's actually made and tested, I'm holding my reservations.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3132387)   #302
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
From

http://www.grandprix.com/columns/mau...a-message.html

"In the GP3 race, one incident involved Robert Cregan as he ran on the outside of what became a three-abreast downhill charge on the very fast approach to Pouhon. The inevitable contact saw the left-rear suspension broken on Cregan's car, spinning him backwards at unabated speed into the tyre barrier, where the flapping wheel then smacked him on the back of the head.
The young Irishman was removed to hospital with a sore neck. A scan revealed no lasting damage and he was sent home for an early night with an ice pack. But.... the rest surely does not need to be said?"

For completeness sake.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3132990)   #303
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen any mention of ventilation in these proposals and discussions. The cockpit of a F1 car gets seriously hot as it is, even though it's wide open to the atmosphere. The temperature in a closed cockpit doen't bear thinking about. Or will they be fitting aircon?
Old 9 Sep 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3133107)   #304
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Each driver will be issued with one of those little battery-operated fans and a sucker pad to stick it on the canopy underneath the 'Pastor and Tracey' sunstrip....
Old 9 Sep 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3133117)   #305
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The LM guys manage ok.

And then the FIA will state that they have to cover the wheels. Then we will have a LM prototype series.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3133118)   #306
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The LM guys manage ok.
For 8 or 9 hours in 24hrs.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3133427)   #307
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen any mention of ventilation in these proposals and discussions. The cockpit of a F1 car gets seriously hot as it is, even though it's wide open to the atmosphere. The temperature in a closed cockpit doen't bear thinking about. Or will they be fitting aircon?
You could fit them with a cooling suit - water circulation or similar should do the trick. Probably lighter and less of a power drain than an aircon system.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3133457)   #308
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
For 8 or 9 hours in 24hrs.

No, 8 or 9 hours in 8 or 9 months.........

Actually a few more than that, but point well made......
Old 9 Sep 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3133523)   #309
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The LM guys manage ok.

And then the FIA will state that they have to cover the wheels. Then we will have a LM prototype series.
The cockpit's a lot bigger, more room for air to circulate.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 05:17 (Ref:3133569)   #310
wnut
Veteran

Wheel impact V8 supercars, and safety initiatives.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/techni...3/default.aspx

Alternative wheel impacting on Lowndes V8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBx9wQjluXM
Old 19 Sep 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3138371)   #311
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'm sure that the aero people could come up with some idea for getting some of that 200mph airstream in to the cockpit. Some sort of 'hole' I imagine.

(Look up Naca duct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3138516)   #312
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A bleed air system would work, didn't many teams have a hole in the nose allegedly for just that ?
Old 19 Sep 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3138628)   #313
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder if positive ventilation (blown ambient air) will be enough for some situations (circuits with high ambient temp). I can't remember the specifics, but don't some sports racing and prototypes use air conditioning systems to deal with closed cockpit temperatures? I think in the 911 RSR they even walled off the rear of the cabin to reduce the amount of area they would have to cool? I am also sure F1 could come up with some interesting "cool suit" designs as well.

Richard
Old 21 Sep 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3139647)   #314
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
There's not a lot of airflow around the feet in the current cars, so really the only difference would be the upper body areas, which is all blown ambient anyway.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3162548)   #315
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More food for the canope debate : Rosberg nearly chopped Karthikeyan's head off today in Abu Dhabi...
Old 30 Apr 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3399881)   #316
wnut
Veteran

Has there been any more movement toward the closed cockpit safety initiative following the tests that the FIA conducted, or are they just sitting on their hands waiting ...?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3399977)   #317
wnut
Veteran

http://aimss.com.au/cockpit-canopy-test-full-story/

Old 30 Apr 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3400054)   #318
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i do hope that they resist the H & S people's desire for closed cars
Old 30 Apr 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3400073)   #319
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The onus these days in F1 is very much on cost cutting and the F1 Strategy Group is meeting this Thursday, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113705, to discuss further cost cutting proposals, so I'm not really surprised the idea of an enclosed cockpit has not been mentioned for sometime.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3461358)   #320
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am a bit hesitant to dredge up this topic as it would appear to be a knee jerk reaction. However, I can't help but to think the the three most recent (does this go all the way back to Senna?) serious driver injuries/deaths in F1 have been due to cockpit intrusions...

Felipe Massa, MarĂ*a de Villota and Jules Bianchi

You can't protect against all scenarios, but I also wonder if there will be questions about the roll hoop being apparently sheared off Bianchi's Marussia. As history of this thread has shown, a closed cockpit is not he only method to improve cockpit safety.

Richard
Old 6 Oct 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3461404)   #321
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Senna would've likely been saved by one of these. However, I doubt that Schumacher or Panis could've prevented their legs being broken. Perez would've still had concussion from his Monaco shunt - and thinking about it, would his head have collided with the cockpit, with such a huge side-on impact?

I'm still not sure whether to support this. It has benefits but potential drawbacks (correct me if I'm wrong) and also would cost a lot.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3461471)   #322
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not convinced this would have done much to help Bianchi. I seem to remember some tests following Massa's accident that showed that they wouldn't necessarily stand up to that either, though surely it would be of some help?

There have been a few close calls though that could easily have been avoided with an enclosed cell, e.g. the incidents where a car landed on another car and slid up, such as Wurz and Alonso. But considering the damage to Bianchi's car, I'm not certain that an enclosed cockpit would help at all (not that I'm a mechanic...)

As far as Bianchi goes, surely the change that needs to be made is not having tractors on the circuit unless the safety car's out. A local yellow when there are men and machinery in the firing line of an aquaplaning incident is not sufficient.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3461476)   #323
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Semi-enclosed canopy is the best. The arrival of a canopy of some sort is most probably imminent.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3461492)   #324
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trying too look beyond Bianchi's incident, if a full cockpit canopy were to be introduced, then the chances are, it would have to be developed onto a wider and no doubt heavier and perhaps even standard tub/survival cell. With the extra designed in space, getting the screen off the steering wheel and putting the info onto a Heads up Display would improve safety with a maximum of perhaps 5 page options of info with a single button on the steering wheel flick between them.
Perhaps even the option of a OLED screens in place of wing mirrors with their cameras having to give a mandated viewing angle. This would improve rear vision and especially in the wet.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3461497)   #325
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The closed cockpit's being designed for tyres hitting the cockpit, it wouldn't have helped Jules or Maria in any way. The driver's safety should absolutely come first, but rushing in a canopy (closed or semi-enclosed) would not be the best thing.