Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3750987)   #1001
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst still advocating a cockpit canopy, I'll admit on first sight that doesn't look too bad.

I could even foresee a tear off over frontal section that a driver could reach... wouldn't want to pick up someone else's in a brake duct or side pod though.

It's hard to see how quickly it drops from the front highpoint down to the headrest height. It could offer some protection from horizontal debris coming from off centre too.

I do still have reservations however regarding anything that is coming from above the horizontal, it would only been to be a few degrees above to miss the screen and hit the helmet.

As an aside to safety, it'll be interesting to see how long the team can run it on the car, it looks like it cold push air over the airbox and so seriously hamper cooling.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:11 (Ref:3751128)   #1002
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looks like an alien from the outside, sort of looks like a sprint car from the onboards
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3751140)   #1003
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I suspect they feel they are solving two different problems. For example I suspect they don't expect the screen to do everything the existing safety cell already does. It is just additive and clearly focused nearly 100% on deflection of objects that come directly from the front and not from the top. And even then the drivers will still be still be required to wear a full face helmet (additional intrusion protection). It is rightly using the "defense in depth" strategy with multiple layers of protection.

There is also the practical nature in that it provides structure for attachment of steering wheel, etc. and having the a smaller hole in the structure helps it maintain its overall physical integrity. And lastly... it allows teams to not have to redesign the safety cell ($$$) if new features are additive. Clearly ANY solution will impact aero design.

Richard
Sensible comments Richard (as always). One point I would make is that surely, the biggest risk to driver injury is from objects that come directly from the front purely because an F! spends a lot of time moving forwards at a high velocity. At 200 odd MPH something coming from directly above would have (literally) a small window of opportunity to hit the driver.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3752860)   #1004
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BBC reporting that it will be the Halo that will be on all cars for the 2018 season.

BBC Sport webite
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3752862)   #1005
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Sources say nine out of 10 teams voted against the Halo, but the FIA said it would become part of the regulations for 2018 on safety grounds, albeit with "certain features of its design" being "further enhanced".
How typically F1.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3752864)   #1006
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Ignoring how ridiculous it is...start lights?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3752872)   #1007
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i remain skeptical that these will be on the cars come OZ 2018.

but something is needed...hopefully this shames the teams into properly working on a viable alternative so at worst the halo will be short lived.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3752884)   #1008
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Ignoring how ridiculous it is...start lights?
That just looks wrong.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 23:23 (Ref:3752913)   #1009
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Its a rubbish idea..full canopy please ..
Old 19 Jul 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3752914)   #1010
ciscotex
Rookie

ciscotex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridciscotex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, after only 54 years I guess this is my last year as a bleeding F1 fan. Everything has to end some time.

Reading the FIA's justification for the halo cramdown (when 9 of the 10 teams opposed it) is typical political crap. F1 cars over all the years have, for the most part, been somewhat attractive. Calling that hideous piece of ironmongery (carbonmongery?) a halo is merely calling a painted turd a work of art. If I wanted to watch sprint or midget cars, I'd watch them.

Motor racing is dangerous. If not, it is merely another game. While I don't wish to see a repetition of Henry Surtees, Justin Wilson's, or Massa's tragic accidents, if aesthetics counts for anything (and the new owners seem to think it does) this cure might be worse than the disease.

Paul
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3753022)   #1011
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Ironically I can see the mandating of the halo, and so implementing froward head protection. That the only way to get rid of it will be with something better.

Hopefully it will lead to full and proper investigations into a full canopy solution.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3753033)   #1012
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
A sad day in Formula One's history.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3753054)   #1013
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Its a rubbish idea..full canopy please ..
I agree. They could have done some that would have been safer and looked better, but picked the Halo instead. I suspect the fan outcry in 2018 will be tremendous and may result in reverting back to pure open cockpit later. Potentially an overall setback for safety long term.

Richard
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3753059)   #1014
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The GPDA have backed the Halo.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130845
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3753060)   #1015
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the Halo might protect the drivers' head from debris, it might cause a safety risk as well. Imagine Alonso's crash during the 2016 Australian Grand Prix with a Halo; it is foreseeable that the Halo would have caused servere head injury.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3753063)   #1016
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
In other words the GPDA have been told by the FIA to back the device.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3753083)   #1017
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In my view the Halo has still too many question marks, like visibility and if the car rolls over. Maybe Vettel's dizziness with the shield prompted this decision
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3753089)   #1018
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks utterly terrible. If there has to be clear head protection, as mentioned, a canopy makes sense. This just looks utterly ridiculous. Oh well. C'est la vie.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3753091)   #1019
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
What ever decision the FIA were to make had to be done now, some designers might even say before now.

There was disruption to cooling when running with the Halo, so the teams will need all the time they can get to ensure their airflow modelling resolves that.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3753096)   #1020
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Booooo!!!!!!

Its supposed to be dangerous, if it wasn't, we would all be doing it.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3753100)   #1021
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Booooo!!!!!!

No.

I hate this response so much in general. Racing is still stupid dangerous, trying to protect drivers from something like a flying bit of car isn't making the whole thing less dangerous. It's keeping the drivers safer so they can continue to do what they're good at.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3753102)   #1022
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Booooo!!!!!!

It's also very expensive. There are lots of dangerous things to do, that don't require the financial resources it takes to race in F1.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3753112)   #1023
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

No.

I hate this response so much in general. Racing is still stupid dangerous, trying to protect drivers from something like a flying bit of car isn't making the whole thing less dangerous. It's keeping the drivers safer so they can continue to do what they're good at.
I agree 100% with respect to "It's dangerous" argument. It's a completely ridiculous argument. It's both obvious and a pointless thing to mention but also a sideways dig at pretty much any safety measures.

Queue up the comments about the heroics of how it was "back in the day" and let's not forget the most important one... heritage.

Richard
Old 20 Jul 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3753114)   #1024
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I don't really have anything against safety, but what grinds my gears is F1 and the FIA are always looking for their own solutions, no matter how inane, ineffective and stupid they may be, completely ignoring tried and true concepts that have been implemented elsewhere, simply because it just wouldn't be F1. F1/FIA is exactly like Vince McMahon, if it's not his idea, he will discard it. The fact that F1/FIA is not just 1 person, but a multitude of people that thought of this, thought it was a good solution and pushed it through is simply put embarassing.

I'm embarassed to be an F1 fan.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3753188)   #1025
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is not going to protect the drivers against a giant meteorite. Or chicken pox.

Will this make F1 less popular? Hopefully. Then sky won't want to pay for it and it can return to the Beeb. Ticket prices will fall. Bring it on. It is the saviour.