Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3067408)   #201
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It's the same old argument isn't it. One I really can't decide which side i'm on. Any time I hear from someone who feels strongly on either side of the fence, i'm more inclined to side with that side of the argument!

So hard.. Where's the sweet spot?

Selby
Old 30 Apr 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3067537)   #202
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Leading into an accident with your face even if it is protected by a helmet
just seems intuitively wrong somehow.

Drivers who may have been saved by a frontal intrusion structure like the FIA is testing

Killed by wheels:
Surtees, Senna, Hoettinger, Spence
Killed by other objects:
Pryce, Stacey, David Smith
Killed by frontal cockpit intrusions:
Koinigg, Wheldon, Moore, Campos, Donohue, Cevert, Birrell, Hocking, Max Stewart, Hans-Georg Burger,
Harmed by frontal intrusion:
Massa, DaMatta, Brundle, Marko,

The above list is not exhaustive and based on what I can recall from a faulty memory, and I am sure some of the guys will add more drivers.
While some of the drivers would not have been saved, a lot more of the drivers would still be with us or have been uninjured if the FIA frontal roll hoop or canopy had been in place.

The event of being struck in the face in an open cockpit is however not rare no matter what some will have you believe.
Some of those accidents would have required an enclosed cockpit, rather than a roll hoop in front of the cockpit, to prevent them.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3067661)   #203
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The event of being struck in the face in an open cockpit is however not rare no matter what some will have you believe.
It is rare. Compare your list to the number of races by drivers that didn't suffer one of those tragic events. Your argument is that isn't rare enough.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3076067)   #204
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Charlie Whiting belives some form of additional head protection will be added to F1 cars in the near future although he is unsure of what it will be at the moment. The best results have come from forward roll hoops.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18104886

If they could make a clear windscreen/ roll hoop to me it would be the best solution as it would not dramatically change the look of the cars, still be open cockpits and hopefully give the drivers better protection from flying debris.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3076083)   #205
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post

No one likes to see drivers killed however, despite the popularity of modern F1, I reckon that motorsport is less revered by the public as there is less skill involved. Drivers used to risk life and limb. Now, death and serious injury are less of a concern.
Here is where your argument is flawed. When there is less danger involved, we can better see the skills of the drivers. Because in the dangerous era's, to drive at a fast pace, you would not only had to have the skills to do so, but also had to be an idiot, or suicidal. Offcourse the pool of people that are both skilled and suicidal is much smaller compared to the pool of drivers who are skilled full stop. It's no surprise that today we see a dozen of drivers able to win GP's when given the right equipment, compared to maybe a hand full in earlier years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Also, the safer we make the cars/circuits, the more risks the drivers will take. Open wheel racing has become ridiculous in terms of driving standards. There is no place nor need to bang wheels at 180mph. That is where the real danger is. Just look at what was happening at Las Vegas just before Wheldon's accident. People were racing like they were in karts. If there was more risk you would have to think about your actions before not after you committed them.

/Rant over.
I agree that, whatever safetyfeatures cars and track have installed, bumping wheels at such speeds will never be completely risk-free. However, I like drivers being able to take risks to get a better result or a faster lap, without having a big chance to end the day in a hospital. It makes for more exiting racing. Mind you, there should always be a penalty involved when you make a mistake. But it should be, and mostly is, losing time or positions, and at worst have your race finished early. I hate corners where drivers drive at the limit, make a mistake, drive as fast at the run-off as they would have done on the track and finally end up in the same position compared to their competitors as they were before.
Old 22 May 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3077562)   #206
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at the on-board from Vettel's car as he drove through the aftermath of the Senna crash, virtually no debris, came at Vettel's car in the way that the FIA Front roll Hoop test (video above) hd the tyre fired at it.

It had all been thrown up in the air and was dropping towards Vettel's car as he approached.

Only a full canopy cockpit cover would prevent carbon fibre/small object intrusion as well as deflect larger objects.

Just for a concept, I've grafted an F16 canopy onto this years HRT

Click image for larger version

Name:	HRT closed canopy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	37100

I accept that the airbox would probably require some re-design due to the airflow over the canopy
Old 22 May 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3077568)   #207
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good job...
Old 22 May 2012, 02:30 (Ref:3077585)   #208
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Only a full canopy cockpit cover would prevent carbon fibre/small object intrusion as well as deflect larger objects.
Cars upside down on fire....no way out,you would have a see through BBQ.
Old 22 May 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3077685)   #209
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Cars upside down on fire....no way out,you would have a see through BBQ.
And when was the last time we saw that in F1 ... not saying that it can't happen with a modern F1 car, but on the balance of probability I'd suggest that cockpit intrusion from shards of carbon fibre, or other wreckage either from it's own or driving through someone else's accident like Vettel in Spain would be more likely a scenario.

The other way of looking at it, if the canopy/cockpit tub were to be a sealed unit, then the argument goes the other way in that the driver is protected from a fire until marshals get to it.
Old 22 May 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3077691)   #210
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Car upside down, on fire... needs a system somewhat like the Mercedes SLS GT racer with the gull wing doors (hinged unconventionally). It has a release mechanism for rescue workers underneath the sill on both sides. Button pressed, explosives separate the hinge, door falls away. Job done.
Old 22 May 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3078057)   #211
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why not just race in closed cockpit lemans prototypes then?

Sorry, I am totally against having any sort of cockpit protection. These are supposed to be open wheelers.

Next they will be wanting karting bumper guards for the wheels. Ridiculous.
Old 22 May 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3078064)   #212
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why not just race in closed cockpit lemans prototypes then?

Sorry, I am totally against having any sort of cockpit protection. These are supposed to be open wheelers.

And they will still be 'open wheelers'....just with closed cockpits...
Old 22 May 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3078087)   #213
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

I think you'll find those on the new Indy cars
Old 22 May 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3078094)   #214
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I think you'll find those on the new Indy cars
The Nerf bars aren't exactly 100% effective as was seen at Long Beach this year, when Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal came together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWCRCP6GO44
Old 23 May 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3078104)   #215
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Nerf bars aren't exactly 100% effective as was seen at Long Beach this year, when Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal came together.

Seems to have worked pretty effectively.
The result would have been far worse if the wheels were directly in contact with one another!
Old 23 May 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3078108)   #216
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Seems to have worked pretty effectively.
The result would have been far worse if the wheels were directly in contact with one another!
It didn't prevent the car from riding up over the rear right wheel, which was the purpose of the Nerf bar. What prevented it from being worse is the new car isn't flat bottomed like the old Dallara and so didn't take off.
Old 24 May 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3078956)   #217
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Closed cockpits would be just dreadful what do they think they are trying to do
Old 24 May 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3078967)   #218
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Closed cockpits would be just dreadful what do they think they are trying to do
They could be made to look good though.....there aree a couple of interesting CGI renders out there....
Old 27 May 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3079789)   #219
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

Compare Conor Daly wheel hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfXCZa1yYc

Also missed his head this time, but, protection needed!
Old 27 May 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3080101)   #220
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you see where Daly's detached wheel went?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXszF...tailpage#t=46s

Collected by a following car's wheel luckily.
Old 27 May 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3080223)   #221
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
Did you see where Daly's detached wheel went?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXszF...tailpage#t=46s

Collected by a following car's wheel luckily.
Good spot Bravo, missed that entirely!

Slam dunk for the cockpit protection case.
Old 27 May 2012, 23:49 (Ref:3080224)   #222
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since when did everyone become such pansies?
Old 27 May 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3080226)   #223
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Burying your friends and colleagues and explaining to families what happened in clearly preventable and predictable circumstances just sucks!

That's when you become a "pansy".
Old 28 May 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3080229)   #224
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice attempt at a guilt trip there. *tip nonexistent hat*

Quite frankly the proposals I've seen so far have been of the kind a 4 year old would come up with using crayons and the bedroom wall.
Like that proposed rollbar in front of the driver, which would actually cause a lot more harm in impairing vision than it would solve in a wayward tire flying at the cockpit area.

But hey, no shame in clutching at straws, I suppose.
Old 28 May 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3080231)   #225
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Burying your friends and colleagues and explaining to families what happened in clearly preventable and predictable circumstances just sucks!

That's when you become a "pansy".