Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2999877)   #76
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree its down to the powers that be in the erc to make it more tempting for a driver to do and I don't blame the drivers for looking for alternatives particually during the current economic climate. Still frustrating for us spectators though but then I guess BRC fans get a little frustrated when some of the best brits do europe rather than their home series.

As far as espn are concerned they like all comercial tv depend on advertising revenue which likewise depends on viewing figures. If those numbers drop the tv company has 2 choices either drop it or ask for the show to be "spiced up" ie: more wrecks & more carnage, false grudge matches etc etc. Its happened in NASCAR and of course in indycar and I wouldn't want rallycross to go down the same route.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 13:40 (Ref:3000211)   #77
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big part of ESPN benefit is that are paying for production and providing free air time. That is not common in the US. ESPN were the first network to take NASCAR national outside of the headline races and invest heavily in what they believe......

Grudge matches are a reality already. GRC didn't create the animosity between Doran and Foust......but made great television, especially when we called what would happen into the first corner of the X Games final!

Mark
Old 15 Dec 2011, 23:47 (Ref:3000519)   #78
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be interesting to see how Doran and Foust work next year. It's an interesting contrast, Monster vs Rockstar, Old vs New, Citroen vs Ford, Europe vs America. If they do both series and fight for both titles to the end, then I'm interested to see where this goes.

Meanwhile here's an interesting interview with Kenneth Hansen and some of his thoughts on the USA.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 16 Dec 2011 at 00:01.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 11:33 (Ref:3000730)   #79
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why is Doran considered old and Foust new then!

I would say its the otehr way round to be honest! Tanner has been driving for years in drifts etc.

I dont really think their rivalry is that hard, I would suggest Foust made a few enemies early in the year with over aggressive driving and driving like his team boss usually does!

Doran similarly has I think been trying to hard and wondering why he couldnt get near the stuff he was doing in 2010, while the likes of Holte, Isachsen, Timurzyanov and Hunsbedt among others just drive a bit more consistently.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 14:13 (Ref:3000816)   #80
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Is it so great that Monster back Liam? With all the distractions that come with sponsorship there was little doubt Liams driving took a step backwards this year.
Did he take a step backwards, or did the rest of the competition take a step forwards? (I also wonder if the loss of his ERC car before the season even started put him on the back foot for 2011)

I personally do think its a good thing when one of the energy drink brands gets involved, as they inevitably bring a huge amount of promotion and marketing with them. Yeah the decked out grid girls and noisy stand may not be to everyones taste, but they are appealing to a wider (and younger) audience and the stream of constant media updates they provide via Facebook, You Tube etc. is sure to result in more interest in the sport, if not more spectators at races: and more spectators is a good thing, right?
Old 16 Dec 2011, 15:28 (Ref:3000839)   #81
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Why is Doran considered old and Foust new then!

I would say its the otehr way round to be honest! Tanner has been driving for years in drifts etc.

I dont really think their rivalry is that hard, I would suggest Foust made a few enemies early in the year with over aggressive driving and driving like his team boss usually does!

Doran similarly has I think been trying to hard and wondering why he couldnt get near the stuff he was doing in 2010, while the likes of Holte, Isachsen, Timurzyanov and Hunsbedt among others just drive a bit more consistently.
Sorry if I was vauge with that. I should of meant traditional rallycross (old) vs x-games rallycross (new).
Old 17 Dec 2011, 12:22 (Ref:3001179)   #82
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Did he take a step backwards, or did the rest of the competition take a step forwards? (I also wonder if the loss of his ERC car before the season even started put him on the back foot for 2011)
Probably all three but the Lydden roll was very much is own making, whatever he had far too many incidents and where in 2009 & 2010 he pleasantly surprised me with his consistancy this year at time he drove like the Liam of old.

The main issue I meant by the sponsorship is that he is at the mercy of Monster. Where before it was solely about the driving now he has to do all the media and promotional stuff etc and also race where they want him to not to mention the added pressure of bringing the success a sponsor expects, especially when up against someone sponsored by another brand of the same product. That is bound to be a distraction to anyone.

Last edited by BertMk2; 17 Dec 2011 at 15:29. Reason: formatting
Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:41 (Ref:3001201)   #83
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me I can see Liam maybe spending a lot more time in the US, if he is linked with Citroen still then they will like that, although I dont know if they have any presence in the US.

he is doing a lot of work in the USA at the moment, always out there, and I think if he can into a deal liek Foust then he might be onto a winner.

He is not as media friendly as Foust and up to speed with presenting, but he certainly needs to deliver with results in 2012 or I think they might look elsewhere
Old 18 Dec 2011, 10:40 (Ref:3001497)   #84
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
He is not as media friendly as Foust and up to speed with presenting, but he certainly needs to deliver with results in 2012 or I think they might look elsewhere
Definately agree with you there, especially the first line. I thought it was quite interesting to see the Americans reaction to him after X-Games 17 next year. Intentional or not, I don't think he came across very well and I can't see the sponsors being keen on keeping him if thats the case.

Still, Deegan has always been a massive dick when interviewed and he still seems to get sponsorship, so maybe thats less of a factor as long as the results continue come in.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3006411)   #85
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Sorry for the double post guys, but another interesting snippet of news:

http://www.rallycrossworld.com/2012/...in-dodge-dart/

Is Dodge the "new" manufacturer that was touted a few months back? And will Pastrana make the jump from Subaru to Dodge? (Not that he was technically part of SRTUSA in 2011 anyway).
Old 2 Jan 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3006565)   #86
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
That woud be amazing! Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge would be awesome. However, I'd love to see Abarth too, and I doubt Fiat will run two ralycross programmes.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 00:32 (Ref:3008444)   #87
QuarterRik
Rookie

Belgium
Roeselare
QuarterRik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
And what sense makes a Global Rallycross Championship in the US?
Not a lot imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Reading erc24 seems like Isachsen is also keen to do this global thing next year. How many more are going to go this way? Concerned that we are all going to get toLydden for rnd 1 of the ERC next year and find a rather depleted entry in the top catagory.
I gues we will have some pour rallycrossyears in Europe if the top driver keep emmigrating.
In the US they now how to promote a sport,so it will be al about the $$$.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3008595)   #88
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Sorry for the double post guys, but another interesting snippet of news:

http://www.rallycrossworld.com/2012/...in-dodge-dart/

Is Dodge the "new" manufacturer that was touted a few months back? And will Pastrana make the jump from Subaru to Dodge? (Not that he was technically part of SRTUSA in 2011 anyway).
Dodge Dart:
http://www.autoblog.nl/image-gallery...dge/Dart_2013/
http://www.autojunk.nl/2012/01/de-nieuwe-dodge-dart
Old 8 Jan 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3008821)   #89
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Those taillights are so cool! The front end is odd, but I'm sure the SRT staff can fix that. The rest is fairly ok.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3009838)   #90
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No word on venues yet?
Old 10 Jan 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3009874)   #91
USRallycross
Racer

United States
All will be announced soon but I will tease you with 'big venues'.......Think your eye brows will be raised!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3009875)   #92
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds good... I hope the New York event is somewhere accessible (buses, subways etc), I'll definitely take a look. Then I've got the Indy 500 the following weekend.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3010138)   #93
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Sure many of you have seen it on Facebook, but Doran will run the full GRC season next year:

http://www.rallycrossworld.com/2012/...-attack-on-us/

As well as X-Games, some select LOOR events and an attack on Pikes Peak with the "new" Doran RS200.

Great for the GRC (and for his sponsorship no doubt), but a shame to see another name gone from the ERC.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3010194)   #94
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the venues will be published very soon! (planning ... )
Old 11 Jan 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3010220)   #95
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Venues coming in the next few days and get your dictionary ready because you will be reading the definition of "massive" when you hear the news.

Great news re Doran coming over. The field is getting stronger by the day and will continue to do so. Didn't think the C4 was eligible for GRC but what do I know!

Mark
Old 11 Jan 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3010226)   #96
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I'm surprised he's not using the DS3 this year, but I'm wondering if he will use the first generation or the second generation C4?

I still curious about the international plans...
Old 11 Jan 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3010227)   #97
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Banning all cars not on sale in the US would currently be all but helpful to make GRC growing...
Old 11 Jan 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3010271)   #98
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I'm surprised he's not using the DS3 this year, but I'm wondering if he will use the first generation or the second generation C4?
Given he is no longer part of the "works" team I would think it'll be unlikely that he'll be in a DS3 in 2012. According to the RX World article the car he is using for this year is based on Laboulle's 2011 ERX car.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3010298)   #99
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mtechnologies is also building a DS3. IIRC in the initial stage they even worked together with KHM.

Still not fully understand Monsters marketing strategy.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3010314)   #100
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycrossworld : even Andy Scott will race in America. Will he compete in some erc rounds too???