Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Apr 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3725314)   #2551
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Unless Mazda starts getting consistently better results, a change in their operating team could be something they have in mind. If MSR ends up looking for a program next year outside of the HPD family, it could be a nice pairing.
This makes sense.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3725328)   #2552
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If they're going to change operators then might as well do it right and go talk to Mr Joest.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3725350)   #2553
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The Cadillacs supposedly also have 600+bhp, something that LMP1s allegedly didn't have back then outside of the factory cars.

And I'd bet that those LMP1s still cornered faster than the DPIs did.
The Cadillac started the year with around 600hp, but following the avalanche of BoP, it probably only produces around 520-530hp. The big difference around Long Beach is probably torque.

Chris
Old 10 Apr 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3725358)   #2554
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'm willing to bet they started out well above 600hp. Possibly closer to 700hp than 600. The torque advantage is still there of course but it does seem lessened with the gearing change.

Anyone have the top speed stats from the Long Beach race?
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3725376)   #2555
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'm willing to bet they started out well above 600hp. Possibly closer to 700hp than 600. The torque advantage is still there of course but it does seem lessened with the gearing change.

Anyone have the top speed stats from the Long Beach race?
http://results.imsa.com/

Select race, then "Event Maximum Speed"
Old 10 Apr 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3725388)   #2556
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It is for real that the DPIs couldn't break 145mph? The older LMP1s had to have gone faster than that.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3725403)   #2557
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
It is for real that the DPIs couldn't break 145mph? The older LMP1s had to have gone faster than that.
It's quite possible(though not guaranteed) they broke 145 but it wasn't recorded. IIRC, those are the trap speeds, not onboard telemetry. Speed traps are set a lot sooner than where the prototypes would start braking because GT cars brake a fair bit sooner and would not catch anything close to their top speeds of the trap was placed just before the prototype braking point.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3725407)   #2558
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The speed trap is at start/finish.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3725424)   #2559
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The speed trap is at start/finish.
That's way before they reach the top end! I think it's safe to say they were doing a good 15+mph before they brake.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3725914)   #2560
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Factory Audi driver Marco Bonanomi testing PR1's Ligier at CoTA today...
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3725921)   #2561
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately Bonanomi isn't a factory Audi driver anymore. That came to an end at the end of 2016. He's been doing Rallying recently, which is a bit of a waste of talent!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3725924)   #2562
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Unfortunately Bonanomi isn't a factory Audi driver anymore. That came to an end at the end of 2016. He's been doing Rallying recently, which is a bit of a waste of talent!
Copy, thought he still was.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3727996)   #2563
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like there will be two new DPi's on the grid for COTA, Action Express Dallara (31 car) and the Visit Florida Riley are switching to spare tubs after suffering crash damage at Long Beach.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13968...ng-beach-crash

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13969...quired-for-axr

Both teams note how well the tubs did at keeping the driver safe, and Flis wondered how that impact would have impacted the driver in an old tube-frame DP. Either way, the repairs are expensive and could impact the teams testing plans.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3728007)   #2564
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Looks like there will be two new DPi's on the grid for COTA, Action Express Dallara (31 car) and the Visit Florida Riley are switching to spare tubs after suffering crash damage at Long Beach.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13968...ng-beach-crash

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13969...quired-for-axr

Both teams note how well the tubs did at keeping the driver safe, and Flis wondered how that impact would have impacted the driver in an old tube-frame DP. Either way, the repairs are expensive and could impact the teams testing plans.
You mean two new prototypes - only one's a DPi.

/pedanticness
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3728038)   #2565
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I read this,

Quote:
Looks like there will be two new DPi's on the grid for COTA,
And got excited. Such a tease to start the post that way.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3728050)   #2566
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I read this,

Glad you liked it!
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3728054)   #2567
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I read this,

SAME hahahaha
Old 21 Apr 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3728083)   #2568
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
The DPi section of Mariantic has some good info if you haven't been on there in a while:
http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/DPI1.asp

Oreca thinks they will have a DPi customer for 2018, and possibly another for 2019.

But what i really liked were the side by side comparisons from Pan_Nullo. It really allows you to see what the differences are (or aren't) between the base P2 and the DPi bodywork of Mazda, Caddy, and Nissan.
Old 3 May 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3730795)   #2569
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
MP does a little "imagine if" type of article on the upcoming Honda DPi project driver possibilities. Pretty good scenarios possible for the drivers:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=&limitstart=1

He thinks Penske might get to choose drivers for 1 car and Honda for the other.
Old 3 May 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3730803)   #2570
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
MP does a little "imagine if" type of article on the upcoming Honda DPi project driver possibilities. Pretty good scenarios possible for the drivers:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=&limitstart=1

He thinks Penske might get to choose drivers for 1 car and Honda for the other.
I think that is what MSR has done with their full season lineup, I believe 86 is Shank-chosen, and 93 was selected by HPD.

Chris
Old 11 May 2017, 00:40 (Ref:3732740)   #2571
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How do you guys think that Rickey and Jordan rank as drivers among the global sportscar elites (the Toyota, Porsche, fmr Audi drivers)? I know that Jordan proved he was worthy of respect at Daytona and Sebring up against the European crew.
Old 11 May 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3732820)   #2572
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
How do you guys think that Rickey and Jordan rank as drivers among the global sportscar elites (the Toyota, Porsche, fmr Audi drivers)? I know that Jordan proved he was worthy of respect at Daytona and Sebring up against the European crew.
While they maybe wouldn't be the fastest drivers in their respective line-ups, I think neither would look out of place.
Old 11 May 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3732839)   #2573
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I don't think they're up with the Lotterrers, Janis and Davidsons of the world, but I do think that if there was 1 or 2 more factory cars, they'd probably be good enough to be in them. If Porsche were willing to look outside of their programs a bit more, and Toyota decided to stop using Japanese drivers for the sake of nationality, I imagine they'd both get a serious consideration for a seat. If 2 more factory teams arrived, I think the Taylors would be in them, 100%. I think they're the best Prototype drivers in North America right now.

If you put them in WEC P2, they'd be some of, if not the best, pros to pair with Ams. They'd be mega in that class.
Old 11 May 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3732886)   #2574
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't think they're up with the Lotterrers, Janis and Davidsons of the world, but I do think that if there was 1 or 2 more factory cars, they'd probably be good enough to be in them. If Porsche were willing to look outside of their programs a bit more, and Toyota decided to stop using Japanese drivers for the sake of nationality, I imagine they'd both get a serious consideration for a seat. If 2 more factory teams arrived, I think the Taylors would be in them, 100%. I think they're the best Prototype drivers in North America right now.

If you put them in WEC P2, they'd be some of, if not the best, pros to pair with Ams. They'd be mega in that class.
You can say that about Porsche or Audi using German drivers. I don't think they're as good as Kobayashi or Nakajima. Maybe better than Kunimoto, but he's a rookie, a Super Formula champion rookie lol. Give him some time and he'll be fine. He needs to up his pace in traffic that's the main problem. Who's to say that the Taylor's would do any better though? It takes getting used to the hybrids. The lift and coast, the traffic management, the double stinting, the different tires etc. Maybe GM can put up some money for a real p1 effort and they can be their own stars instead?
Old 11 May 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3732888)   #2575
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, Audi Sport employed relatively few German drivers, certainly not enough at one time on their LMP1 program to put one German in each car. Even Porsche employ only a couple of German drivers, though that's just the same as saying the same thing with Toyota and Japanese drivers. At least Kaz and Kamui have earned their keep if one wants to claim nationalistic nepotism.

If you really want to play the nationalism card, you need to look at Peugeot. The majority of their drivers were usually French, though they had to perform to stay there.

The Taylor kids it can be argued are there in part because of their father Wayne's ties to GM, but they're earning their keep and both have impressed the guys at Corvette Racing. And if anything, they're as good as if not better behind the wheel than their old man was, and Wayne was more than plenty formidable in his time.