Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jun 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3828125)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, loads of SC periods! Lost count....

We suffered a very rare (unique, to be precise) misunderstanding between first driver and the pit wall, resulting in him coming in before the pit window opened, but during an SC intervention. He was sent straight out again and rejoined the pack, losing 40 seconds. At the end of the day it made no difference to our result, which was best that could be expected- being in the same class as the B19s, T210s etc....

Old 10 Jun 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3828183)   #27
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did wonder what the first stop was for!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 11 Jun 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3828317)   #28
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it a requirement in the Peter Auto 2 hour races that you have to refuel? The French TVR that is picking up penalties when refuelling is the car (UK Reg 9299 VC) that Norrie Nicoll and I ran from 2000 until 2015 and we never had to refuel in 2 hour races, we usually had about 10 litres to spare at the end. Our tank was 70 litres and I know that other Granturas had bigger tanks than this, 105 in one case. Perhaps there is a fuel tank size limit now? Either that or it is using a lot more fuel than before, probably because, to be fair, M Delaplanque is going a hell of a lot faster than we ever did!
Old 11 Jun 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3828408)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSL View Post
Is it a requirement in the Peter Auto 2 hour races that you have to refuel? The French TVR that is picking up penalties when refuelling is the car (UK Reg 9299 VC) that Norrie Nicoll and I ran from 2000 until 2015 and we never had to refuel in 2 hour races, we usually had about 10 litres to spare at the end. Our tank was 70 litres and I know that other Granturas had bigger tanks than this, 105 in one case. Perhaps there is a fuel tank size limit now? Either that or it is using a lot more fuel than before, probably because, to be fair, M Delaplanque is going a hell of a lot faster than we ever did!
It’s not a requirement, but is optional. Some decide to start lighter and add more at their driver change or stop. This is mandatory 5 min, including any fuel, so easy to accomplish. The refuelling is done at pumps located either in the pit lane somewhere just behind, so in a monitored safe area.

I thought I’d seen the TVR before. It’s certainly a very quick one!
Old 11 Jun 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3828485)   #30
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
so in a monitored safe area.

That made me chuckle Mike! When I was last there two young lads on skateboards were whizzing round inside the refuelling area, and a dog was running loose as well at one point. Two front runners had to wait at the pumps (hand pumps on 45 gallon drums) while a forklift trundled some more down from the far end of the pits as they'd run out. Another car pulled in a bit later with the brakes on fire and, no urgency, was asked to park by the fence rather than by the pumps. All very entertaining!
Old 12 Jun 2018, 05:11 (Ref:3828565)   #31
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Colin are you sure you're talking about a Peter Auto event or rather a Paul Ricard event not held by PA instead?
With the always successful Sixties series may be they will have to improve this point. Not all competitors have the same strategy - some start with a full tank to avoid queuing at refueling area - but it becomes tricky for some cars to avoid a splash and dash.
I dont think the tank capacity rules have been changed and 30 litres per hour sounds economical under race conditions.It depends on what you're looking for, a good mpg or a great performance. Do you remember the Mobil Economy Run?
Old 12 Jun 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3828673)   #32
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume you went Caen-Portsmouth on the way back Mike. I'm pretty sure I saw you going along the M3 earlier.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3828682)   #33
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
MartinH if you had some crank issues few years ago at Spa, I guess we were neighbors then (black Capri MKII).

Gerard, sorry for the late reply, but yes, I remember the black Capri !! We will meet up some day, somewhere !

Back to the GPAO & I'm amazed, no one has mentioned the amazing aerobatics display put on at the Saturday evening BBQ .... it was a fantastic 20 min display of how to fly a plane out of control, while being in perfect control, if you see what I mean !! The plane landed at the end of the display, taxied across the main road in front of the hanger where the BBQ was being held, the canopy opened & this fantastic blond haired wafer thin girl got out to greet everyone ..... amazing display by an amazing pilot. Apparently, she is one of the best aerobatics pilots in France at the moment. The applause for her was well merited. Sorry for the over use of amazings in this report.

Martin H .... latest fan of Aude Lemordant
Old 12 Jun 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3828689)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I assume you went Caen-Portsmouth on the way back Mike. I'm pretty sure I saw you going along the M3 earlier.
Yup- did you wave....?

Bloody M3- delays again due to a broken down tank transporter at the M25 slip road. (No tank though) Despite it being parked neatly the hiviz brigade had to cone off a lane, causing miles of tailbacks for several hours......

Martin, that display by the young lady in the Extra was amazing, as you say. So was the Sea Fury on Sunday. Was amused to see the lack of H&S as the stunt plane taxi’d to a stop just feet in front of us all (having crossed the main road!), and similar when the other parked WW2 fighter started up and taxi’d back across the road in the dark, with spits of flame from all the exhaust ports. Very Cool....
Old 12 Jun 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3828695)   #35
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!

Martin, guess what, not only this young lady was world champion but she is also an Airbus pilot! I guess she doesn't train herself with the big one full of pax to see what she can do next weekend!
Given her sponsor, its quite normal to "watch" her!
Old 12 Jun 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3828714)   #36
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Another thing that made me smile when in Dijon centre for an evening meal was a funeral parlour we came across ! The name was pompe funebre Meurdra !

Nice one !

MartinH
Old 13 Jun 2018, 04:32 (Ref:3828781)   #37
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sometimes pun comes out when and where you dont expect…
What happened to your GTAM, you were doing well than had to stop for few laps? Dont tell me its Mike pit wall instructions! Afair, you're using a 2 litre engine on carbs? Still happy with the rear end AutoDelta guillotine?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3828915)   #38
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/even...-Age-d-Or.html

our usual spam.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3828937)   #39
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
Sometimes pun comes out when and where you dont expect…
What happened to your GTAM, you were doing well than had to stop for few laps? Dont tell me its Mike pit wall instructions! Afair, you're using a 2 litre engine on carbs? Still happy with the rear end AutoDelta guillotine?

Gerard, we can't blame Mike for that one !! We had a spark plug come out ; at first I assumed it was a stripped thread, but no, it just unscrewed, so after some searching around for a plug socket fine enough to go down the tapered access hole (thank you Raceworks & Stretton for the loan of tools) & tighten it back up, then we were off again.

Yes the engine is close to 2 ltr. & on carbs ; all stories of SPICA injection systems say don't go near it, so we haven't. The rear axle 'slittoni' seems to work well unless the car goes into a gravel bed & all the stones stick into the thick grease lubrication & the whole thing locks solid !!

Martin H
Old 13 Jun 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3829176)   #40
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Colin are you sure you're talking about a Peter Auto event or rather a Paul Ricard event not held by PA instead?

Checked the archive. It was GPAO 2010. Scrutineering was also interesting and saw a number of drivers rushing off to buy new gloves which seemed to be target of the day. Meanwhile I was arguing with a final total of 5 or 6 scrutineers who were demanding a certificate (or label, I wasn't sure which) for the roll cage. The confrontation had just reached a crescendo when one of them pointed at his watch. Lunchtime. Suddenly there was no problem. Papers stamped
Old 14 Jun 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3829212)   #41
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Checked the archive. It was GPAO 2010. Scrutineering was also interesting and saw a number of drivers rushing off to buy new gloves which seemed to be target of the day. Meanwhile I was arguing with a final total of 5 or 6 scrutineers who were demanding a certificate (or label, I wasn't sure which) for the roll cage. The confrontation had just reached a crescendo when one of them pointed at his watch. Lunchtime. Suddenly there was no problem. Papers stamped

In 2010 the GPAO was not yet organised by Peter Auto. They only entered the scene in 2014.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 18:54 (Ref:3829423)   #42
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post

Timing is everything.

I recall some stories about Monza GP events in the 60s and 70s.

The circuit opening times during the meeting were not entirely to the satisfaction of some of the non-Italian teams whose people, having arrived at, say, 7am wanting to crack on and work on the cars were not allowed to enter the circuit until 8am.

The teams being highly competitive at all levels meant that there was an annual challenge to get at least some people through security and into the circuit to work on the cars.

Cue pitched battles with the people of the gates tantamount to an International incident and people who had successfully infiltrated during the commotion being hunted down and ejected.

Come 8am (or whatever the official opening time was) the gates were opened and all were welcomed by the smiling faces of the security people.

Apparently this was a pattern repeated for each day of the event and year after year. Some sort of tradition it would seem.

That said most teams probably has less than 10 people to get through the gates back then.