Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jul 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3272960)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Crook View Post
I take it Iain will be erecting a big screen and showing the German Grand Prix !!!!

Stoke Row or German GP? Absolutely no contest- especially as the weather is due to be Scorchio!

GP can wait until get home. I-player is my friend.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3273142)   #52
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the weather is due to be Scorchio!
Is that different to last year's!
Old 3 Jul 2013, 06:14 (Ref:3273206)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Is that different to last year's!
I think last year was The Lake District interpretation of Scorchio. This year hopefully the Southern Med version...........

Will there be ice cream?

Old 3 Jul 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3273489)   #54
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Did I not tell you mike you are selling the ice cream for me just think how popular you will be with all the scrumy mummy's
Old 3 Jul 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3273502)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did I not tell you mike you are selling the ice cream for me just think how popular you will be with all the scrumy mummy's
Old 3 Jul 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3273602)   #56
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I didn't know you'd arranged scrumy mummies ......as it happens we're at a family gathering near East Grinstead on Saturday, staying overnight.......I may try to persuade higher management that a small diversion off the M40 would be in order on the way back on Sunday.......was going to see about the Auto Italia event at Stanford Hall but at £13/head it seems pricy.....

What's the Sunday timetable...I know there's a run out but what time will the "talent" be back on show?

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 3 Jul 2013 at 22:31.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3273682)   #57
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Wow that would be brilliant too see you we have 30 cars on the tour now they will arrive around midday show has to Finnish at 4 pm as the estate has to be back up and running that evening keep away from Henley on route to stoke row
Old 4 Jul 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3273771)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yippee! Shiny wheels and shiny new MOT. Stoke Row here I come....

Old 4 Jul 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3273779)   #59
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yippee! Shiny wheels and shiny new MOT. Stoke Row here I come....

ITS NOT A RACE BELL.!!!!
Old 4 Jul 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3273788)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
ITS NOT A RACE BELL.!!!!
Sorry, couldn't find a smilie without crash hat......

How about this one instead-
Old 4 Jul 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3273862)   #61
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
ProCo2020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fellow comitee member on the phone today with some lovelly Valentines news.Turns out, a couple who met at the show last year have got engaged today. Tickled pink.
That'll be me then (joint CoC) of the Maharaja's Tour. Thanks for the mention!

Nikki will be back this year signing on the tourists and we'll be at the BBQ on Saturday night.

Now back to the business there are a couple of places still available and it's a beautiful route through the Oxfordshire countryside. It's not a competition, so no prizes, but finishers get an award and the warm glow of doing something fun on a Sunday.

I'll be at the start and then when the last car is off shooting to Stoke Row to welcome the "tourists" with Iain.

See some of you Saturday and Sunday.

Follow me on Twitter @bryanhull or @rallymatcher
Old 6 Jul 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3274692)   #62
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
Great collection of cars assembled for tomorrow, I'm looking forward to South Oxons version of Goodwood. The right crowd, but no crowding (Brooklands quote)

Good luck to the Tourists and I'll see you at the start and finish, your on your own in between.

Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3274922)   #63
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from a great event.
Here's one quick pic before dinner.........

Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3274935)   #64
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Meanwhile, not a mile away on the village green.......

Old 7 Jul 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3274944)   #65
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK

Old 7 Jul 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3275018)   #66
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed - seemed to be a great event - only managed to pop in for a couple of hours this afternoon as a diversion en route back from East Grinstead to Lancashire (my reward for spending the rest of the weekend visiting Blanche's relatives ).....and some of that time "might" have been spent enjoying a pint of Brakspear's in the pub.....but a lot of people around, and a fine range of machinery....and of course Iain doing a fine job on the mic.....and many people obviously having put in a lot of effort to organise it

I'll try to add some pix later.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3275029)   #67
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
.........here's a few more .....

Old 7 Jul 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3275035)   #68
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been involved with the event since the first year and I thought it was the best yet. Wonderful cars, bikes, scooters and downhill racers to look at, great refreshments, the infamous pit stop challenge (won by a novice team with a stunning 45s performance), a superb classic car tour which got top marks from all the competitors and - well I won't bore you with the rest - you had to be there to really appreciate it.

The highlight of the day for me was the impromptu downhilll races for the young kids at the end of the day - they thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope their slightly nervous parents did as well.

For me, it summed up the very essence of a British village event - basically a fete that in this case happened to be based around racing cars. Huge fun!

...Terry would have hated it.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3275072)   #69
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
It's only Craven Motor Clubs second year involved in the event and we thoroughly enjoyed our contribution and we hope the entrants to the Maharajas Tour did also. There seemed to be smiles all round from those that finished.

The answers to the clues are on the clubs Facebook page plus some photos plus some more pictures on our twitter feed, @cravenmc

We look forward to working with Stoke Racing Car Club next year, if we're asked back.

Old 8 Jul 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3275308)   #70
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
My head is still spinning but everyone is saying this was the best show we have done. What a lovely suprise to see Lanky , can we put you down for the tour next year richard.???.
Weekend's like this dont come round that often and I have landed back at work with loads of problems but who cares.
Many thanks to everyone and see some of you at Brands.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3275323)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Iain and all your organising team. I hope I can make it next year.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3275346)   #72
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the forecast temperature we thought about swopping the car for something with air con but in the end we decided to cook in the Mk2. A cool early morning ride round the M25, a sweltering couple of hours on the tour and an even more sweltering run back late afternoon, thank God the M25 behaved both ways. Maybe I'll be allowed to fit a Webasto now, something that Mrs M has always nono-ed because she thinks it will spoil the lines.

This was our first attempt at the tour, or any sort of rally come to that, and although she will never admit it I suspect Naomi rather enjoyed herself. We only got lost once but the scenery was so pretty it didn't really matter that much, although we were tempted to stop for lunch at Le Manoir. One of the competitors did, finishing the tour 3 hours late

An excellent job done at the show by Iain and his crew and also Craven who pitched the level just right for us newbies, but we could have done with Mike's awning again this year, it would have been more popular than last for the opposite reason.

Just off to find something for the Flying Scotsman now......
Old 8 Jul 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3275520)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Weekend's like this dont come round that often and I have landed back at work with loads of problems but who cares.
Exactly. And as Alan says, the atmosphere of a local (and superbly organised) fete, but revolving around stuff associated with motor cars and motorbikes. With perfect weather and a fantastic setting, what could be better!

Not taking any race cars this year, my planning was very simple. Bike in back of old Porker and away I go. Arrival was late friday pm in case any help was needed setting up. Not much, but supper down the pub was very good.

The bike tour took place saturday afternoon, and the group included one couple on a tandem. They did great until the ride along the river bank involved getting through many kissing gates, most with overgrown hedges alongside! Memo to organiser..... And no-one mentioned COW PATS! Highlight was a small detour to the King William Pub, Ipsden. If only my local had a view like that....... Stunning. By time we all arrived back at Stoke Row, Tony and Dennis had the Barby well alight with meat already cremating. Lucky that, as several of us had not had lunch! Later, after the embers had cooled and all the locals gone home, a group of old racers were still sitting there, drinking beer and talking.....

The Maharajas Tour was sunday morning, starting from the BP Techology Centre nearby. I was first competitor to arrive and had a quick glimpse at the magnificent old house that is used for offices. Among former owners were Mr Palmer, who, along with Mr Huntley, made biscuits. Apparantly the view across the Thames valley allowed him to check that the factory chimneys, which he could see in the distance, were smoking- indicating that production was taking place! Next time, Mr Olley Sir, can I have a look at the engine testing facility, please. Promise I won't tell!

As I was totally disorganised and sans co-driver, Peter's contingency plan came into operation, and I was joined for the tour by young Jack, a graduate working for BP. Obviously a car nut (would have to be, working there!) and also a keen cyclist, we got on well in the car. Although from Newcastle, he was now living in the area, so some local knowledge also! The line up of cars was very impressive, from 275GTB to TR3 to 3 wheeler. Before the start, Jack and I spent 10 minutes working out how a Porsche sunroof panel comes out. I had to confess that although owning two cars with the same roof, I had never removed either...... That sorted, and the trip reset button discovered, we shot off onto the local roads, immediately missing the answer to first question on the sheet and first turning in the road book. It got better- a lot better- and we never missed another junction. The odd answer missed, but a lot of enjoyment had and lovely scenery viewed. Loads of cyclists out being a beautiful day, so much care needed and taken. Even saw an organised group on vintage machines! In all a great tour and big thanks to the organisers and to Craven Motor Club who ran it.

Back at Stoke Row it was buzzing, so spent rest of day looking at and talking cars, eating and drinking. (Juice or water, naturally- had to drive home after!) The local school 'Mums' get together to organise the catering, and having experienced the quality before, I grazed on cake, stawberries and cream all afternoon. And there was ice cream! (Thanks to Iain) Some televised tennis match took a lot of people away during the afternoon, but late enough not to matter.

Last year the weather on the sunday was miserable. This year the complete opposite. Please weather Gods, another like this one next year....

Great fun, and well done all involved in the organisation.

Old 8 Jul 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3275568)   #74
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Lovelly report Mike thanks. The three wheeler was the last car to arrive home, some two hours late. Turn's out they had decided to stop off for lunch some where. John De Ritter the owner and fellow FF2000 racer did get the biggest laugh when he told us all this over the P A .
Looks like we have made over £2000.00 for the local charities and we are going to give our Roger some of this for his bike ride he did earlier this year.
I could of interviewed "Fitz" all day very interesting and good sport for coming to the show and telling a couple of fantastic stories.Cant wait for the book.
We did have our very first race! with two historic kids down hill racer's/This proved to be the highlight of the day on the site. I had the last race and crashed into the staw bail's but the kid,s loved it so we need to sort out proper track for next year.
As you know not one to dwell on the past so need to move on to next year,Tour we will go up to fifty cars and judging from coments from those competing and many of the classic car owners who did not compete this will not be a problem.
As I said last year one of the best things to come out from this show was meeting and working with Brian and Peter and their team from Craven Motor Club.
Many many thanks.. "wonder if any romances started off there yesterday"
Old 8 Jul 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3275576)   #75
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know of at least one that barely survived the first missed turn