Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1486099)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Mr Cigar to start own team ?

If the conditions are right,Dave Richards could be heading our way again.http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34730
Old 18 Dec 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1486100)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news.

Prodrive and David Richards are a success story of British motorsport and would be a very welcome addition to F1
Old 18 Dec 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1486103)   #3
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news

PAUL
Old 18 Dec 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1486105)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think he's right about the cost part though.Even teams like Ferrari are going to find it difficult to keep up with the big guys.Another poor year for Ferrari will see to that.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1486109)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed would be great news IMO and something that could well happen. Prodrive has been making Mr Richards a good ammount of money recently I would imagine both with his sportscar programmes and WRC programmes alike.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1486133)   #6
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Good news.

Prodrive and David Richards are a success story of British motorsport and would be a very welcome addition to F1

Pffft! We have had David Richards in f1 before and I don't think it was a success story.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1486138)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe not but Prodrive ARE a success story. Takes a team, not one man.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1486139)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Pffft! We have had David Richards in f1 before and I don't think it was a success story.

BAR achieved their best ever results on David's watch.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1486141)   #9
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
You mean the year he was sacked .
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1486143)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good I hope he does come back. Formula1 needs people like David Richards.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1486149)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Though he didn't really help with Benetton though did he?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1486153)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought he was in the middle of enacting a pretty impressive turn around with Benetton, and was suprised when they dumped him so soon.

However, I read quite a lot about him not doing well there, so, perhaps, I have a poor recollection of it all (the human mind can greatly alter actual events, as it were).
Old 18 Dec 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1486179)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

My recollection is the same as yours, Dutton.

David Richards has never been fired from an F1 team.

At Benetton, he presented a restructuring plan to the Benetton family - but they were looking to sell the team rather than invest - so David resigned.

At BAR, Prodrive had been brought in on a management contract and achieved their aims.

If Richards was sacked, his right hand man from Prodrive, Nick Fry, would hardly have been put in charge!
Old 18 Dec 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1486186)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David Richards is a good person which sticks out in the politics of F1.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1486196)   #15
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Though he didn't really help with Benetton though did he?
As I understand it David Richards put forward exactly the same five year plan to Rocco Benetton as he did with Honda and B.A.T. The difference was that Benetton wasn't interested (Thought he knew best when he should have stuck to selling jumpers) where as Honda and B.A.T. were interested.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1486214)   #16
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
David Richards has never been fired from an F1 team.
According to ITV, he was forced out of BAR...

Quote:
If Richards was sacked, his right hand man from Prodrive, Nick Fry, would hardly have been put in charge!
Yeah exactly. Honda's beef was not directed toward Prodrive but toward D. Richards' himself. He was not only fired (sorry, "forced out") because of Buttongate I. I know from a source within the team that the awful working atmosphere within the team improved tremenduously after he left. Honda had enough of the bad press his political games would drag them into.

(BTW: Please also bear in mind that the illegal double-tank system was introduced/allowed at BAR in 2004 while he was the boss.)
Old 18 Dec 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1486217)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

The double tank was not illegal - it was simply not having enough fuel on board which made the car underweight and thus illegal.

I stand by my view that Richards was not sacked.

Would it be fair to say that your assessment of him is based around his removal of the team's former number one driver?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1486242)   #18
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
The double tank was not illegal - it was simply not having enough fuel on board which made the car underweight and thus illegal
This is what I call being cute. The practice you are describing was already being used in 2004.

Quote:
I stand by my view that Richards was not sacked.
I would have had that post laminated if you hadn't

Quote:
Would it be fair to say that your assessment of him is based around his removal of the team's former number one driver?
In part "yes". Your raising it is the usual cheap shot I get when my opponent runs out of ammunitions. I must say it still hurts a bit.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1486264)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As I understant it BAR Honda were not the only team running those tanks! DR had his contract terminated early because "officially" he had achieved the results Honda were looking for a year early.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1486302)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love to see a Prodrive F1 team, and have said all along, its only a matter of time until D.R. returns to the pitlane.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:38 (Ref:1486321)   #21
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
David Richards is a good person which sticks out in the politics of F1.
Yep, such a nice guy, with such nice things to say about everyone.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=26753

I'm sure many people in F1 are welcoming the return of such a good person.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 03:21 (Ref:1486339)   #22
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
As I understant it BAR Honda were not the only team running those tanks! DR had his contract terminated early because "officially" he had achieved the results Honda were looking for a year early.
So what you're saying is, BAR-Honda allowed Richards to leave because he was too successful?

A rose by any other name...

Anyway, that's by the by. If Richards is serious about coming back into Formula One, Midland could do no worse than coax him to run their operation. Otherwise, if Super Aguri really is a goer, notwithstanding the Honda connections the team has, he would be a very good team principal for them.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1486340)   #23
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he might like to sort out his V8 Supercar team first!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1486827)   #24
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An article on Pitpass has DR taking a public poke at Fisi, JPM, Heidfeld, Pizzonia (and of course JV). For a guy who's trying a comeback, he doesn't seem to be making too many friends in the paddock.
-
Old 19 Dec 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1486837)   #25
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not sure he cares how many friends he's making amongst drivers. He's a very canny businessman is Mr Richards, the catalyst behind Prodrive becoming one of the biggest names in motorsport. And I don't think he's overly bothered about how nice people think he is.

Anyway, if he does start a new team and makes a success of it, I don't think those drivers will hold his comments against him if he waves his chequebook in their direction (not that he's likely to wave more than a couple of fingers at JV...).