Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Jun 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2225002)   #1
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell 14/15 June

Got my tickets yesterday but no mention of camping facilities. Assuming my arm and shoulder heals by the weekend (alcohol induced idiocy at a friends wedding, long story) then this will be my first trip to the other Park so i haven't a clue where anything is. Can anyone tell me is camping is available, where to go and if i can turn up Friday evening?

Ta very much
Old 10 Jun 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2225028)   #2
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping is available, head through the main gates follow the road in to the paddock, keep going untill you see the petrol pumps, just past those is the circuit office's, to the left of these is a toilet block turn left past the offices and tiolets go thru the gate facing you that is the marshals camp site. friday evening is no problem for arrival but there probably wont be any clubhouse/bar facilities, but tiolets/showers should be open.
See you at sign on Saturday morning
Old 10 Jun 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2225038)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see why you won't be able to get in Friday evening. Camping for marshals is next to the helipad. Come down from the entrance following the signs for the paddock. Turn left at the circuit office (just past the petrol pump on your right) go past the toilet block and the marshal campsite is just through the fence. See you Saturday or maybe even Friday night.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2225093)   #4
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm up there Friday onwards (if my tickets arrive) The bar is usually open but no food on.

Forcast says rain-bogger!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 11 Jun 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2225802)   #5
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Still not got my tickets....begining to worry!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 11 Jun 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2225826)   #6
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your coming past Lincoln on your way to Cadwell (very likely) your more than welcome to my spare.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2225854)   #7
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Stack let me know Thursday if you still dont have any I am sure they have all been sent, If necessary I will get some on the gate for you.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2227388)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forgot to ask, anyone got access to eurosport at cadwell this weekend? theres a lil' race i wouldn't mind keeping tabs on
Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2227847)   #9
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got our tickets will be on way after tea - cya later everyone
Old 14 Jun 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2228912)   #10
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
if anyone is free sunday to help boost marshal numbers your attendance would be much appreciated we started late this morning due to insufficiant numbers got thru the day but its very much harder just turn up and ask for dean watson and wait to be sped thru to sign on.... the racing is great this weekend with full grids
Old 14 Jun 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2228956)   #11
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard there were problems up there today, I hope you have more numbers tomorrow!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2229657)   #12
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
From Dave, the BRSCC Northern and myself, thank you to all that helped out this weekend, special thanks to the guys who volunteered from the paddock. Saturday was a late start due a shortage which was quickly resolvesd and the meeting began approximately 30 mins late. Because of the lack of marshals there were a few more red flags on the grounds of safety. Things began to get back on track, unfortunately race 1 was problomatic and resulted in a stop, which was resolved reletively quickly and the race restarted only to be stopped again due to an incident at Barn, this requiring some time to clear. thanks to all involved and everyone else for their patience and understanding. The remaining races had to be shortened and we finished at 18:25.

Today the numbers were better but not great, and the day started on time and things ran fairly smoothly. Then we had an allmighty thunder storm just before the Jedi's were to be let out of assembly so a slight delay whilst tyres were changed, unfortunately the rain came with avengence and resulted in the pole sitter spinning on the start straight during the green flag lap and another on Park straight this caused another delay whilst standing water was cleared, Then came the fiestas which had been declared a wet race the majority of the field had seen the track beginning to dry and put slicks on, only for it to rain again. They wanted time to change tyres but the clerks made the decision that it had been declared a wet race prior to them coming to assembly and if they wanted to race they did but not to change tyres.
Finish time was 18;25 again, fantastic grids thanks to the guys from the NW FF1600's for brinning us a good turn out, as well as the ford sallons from the NW. Hope the driver of the ff1600 that had the incident at post 2 is ok, and well done for the trainee marshal who dealt with incident with out hesitation and excelently, a little worrying at first when you get a ff1600 shiny side down.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2229665)   #13
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cracking meeting, good grids with good racing. Lets see if the Caterham guys can match it next Sunday (22nd).
Old 15 Jun 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2229690)   #14
Quagmire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hull
Quagmire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following on from Dean's comments about the incident at post 2, the FF driver which stopped to help his fellow competitor deserves a pat on the back (unfortunately I never got a number while assistanting with the clear up). It was a very selfless act to abandon his car and help, when he could have rejoined the race.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2229764)   #15
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Wasn't there one at Barn at the same time too, and anyone know how he is?

Have to say i'm amazed that Cadwell struggles to get enough marshals. I've long been a fan of Oulton as one of the prettiest circuits, but Cadwell is something else. I never appreciated how severe those hills are, but it makes for one very special race circuit. Thanks to everyone this weekend, i thoroughly enjoyed it. If it wasn't such a long way to travel i'd definitely be there more often. Was a shame the FF didn't get a proper race in, but other than that we had some cracking races. The mini's entertained as always and the ford saloons kept us busy on Hall Bends today. Despite only 2 to a post i think we all did a damn fine job this weekend, and the water delivered during lunch on the saturday was a welcome surprise
Old 16 Jun 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2229940)   #16
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
whilst we waiting for the weather to ease and there was nothing happening on track, i grabbed a short clip of the thunderstorm on my phone. the sound that clap made was quite something!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QHBO0wPlnE
Old 16 Jun 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2229946)   #17
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone who made my marshaling on post 8 debut very enjoyable.
Hope I didnt annoy Joyce too much and thanks for the training!
Thanks also to Dean for the loan of the overalls.
Id encourage any drivers to give some time to a spot of marshaling. It certainly gives you an insight into how hard the guys and gals work to give us our racing. I never realised how fast you have to react to getting those flags out! And as for the weather...from luvverly hot sunshine to massive thunderstorm and cold wind... we had it all. Sure gives you an adrenalin boost being so close to the tyre squeeling and scraping of tinwork. And having one car pass us in reverse back side of the post..

One thing that interested me as a driver though was how the drivers showed or didnt show their appreciation to the marshals on the slowing down lap.
Just about all the mighty mini/XR drivers gave a big wave. As did most of the Sports2000s. Makes you feel like giving some of em a tap on the helmet with a flag stick...

So how about a "lets encourage drivers to do some marshaling" thread maybe?
Old 16 Jun 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2230005)   #18
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to add my personal thanks to those posted by Dean.

As Mr Watson Senior's "stand in" I approached the meeting with a certain level of trepidation but thanks to the outstanding support by far too many people to mention the meeting was a success.

Special thank you and welcome to Cadwell to Hepatic for making the journey (and apologies for Sunday morning - I forgot!!), and another to Nathaniel for outstanding performance on both days. Finally to EVERYONE for making it work so well and putting up with my gibbering radio transmissions.

See you all again soon I hope!

Old 16 Jun 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2230032)   #19
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Yep, great weekend (as always at Cadwell). You wouldn't have thought we were short of marshals as the camping (?) area was full of caravans, awnings wind breaks, 4x4's and kids but thats a different story.

Managed a whole weekend without being attacked by wayward cars (phew). On post on Saturday at Hall Bends with Joyce great banter and a nice line of 3 FFords into the rectacels in different incidents and a mini slamming sideways into the armco with such force it knocked a bracing chock out. Went to have a chat with the driver later and could not belive how little damage the car sustained.
Sunday, Dean had the pleasure (?) of my company at 5/12, had him in fits with my Mighty Mini impression!

I did feel sorry for the drivers though, having there races reduced all weekend but unfortunatly these things cant be avoided.

Old 16 Jun 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2230085)   #20
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin said it all - sun, rain, lightning, wind,freezing cold wind - isn't Cadwell wonderful!!! The thunder storm from post 8 was quite scary! Good weekends racing tho shame about the red flags, Didn't realise Dave liked Formula Fords so much, he tried to start a collection on Saturday.
Thanks to Colin too, not at all annoying, gave me a slight insight to the workings(?) of a drivers mind!!! Come back again & have another go at flagging.
Hope the Ka driver is OK from Saturday & the FF driver from Sunday. Thanks again for the weekend,
Joyce
Old 16 Jun 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2230175)   #21
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Was a great weekend besides the freak thunderstorm again I would hope the driver that ended up the wrong way up is ok and can return to his hobby sooner rather than later

I have to hold my hand up and say I had a caravan and awning in the marshals field but there was myself and my cadet daughter there with the rest of the family showing support ( not old enough to put in an orange appearance yet) but you would think with their enthusiasm they will be when they can.

I must say tho i think others were on the field that didnt have marshals in them at all, but I don't know what the allocations were so can't really comment.

The line of sight was questionable after the storm on the start line but thanks to someone ( didnt catch who it was ) flagging from the gantry managed to keep an almost full line of sight to one of the posts the spray they lifted was almost a storm in itself.

two good days but the volunteers for the Saturday left me worrying if we were going to even get started....
Old 16 Jun 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2230207)   #22
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv
I must say tho i think others were on the field that didnt have marshals in them at all, but I don't know what the allocations were so can't really comment.*

two good days but the volunteers for the Saturday left me worrying if we were going to even get started....**
* I do know that 1 marshal had 2 caravans, there was the hope that we may have got some extras from there and with the numbers we are getting we will go that little extra to encourage new blood

** it was due to the organisers of the Ford Salloons who gave 1 volunteer along with a couple of others from the paddock, big thanks to these guys.

A serious question for the marshals that were there over the weekend - What would you want from the club in order to attract you to volunteer? is it grids? closness of racing? swift organisation? or what? please either email me at dean.j.watson@googlemail.com or pm me here or msn at dean.j.watson@hotmail.com
yews there were some hold ups that possibly could have been avoided had we the manpower, there was also unfortunately some that needed the time to clear thwen there was The Man upstairs throwing the four seasons at us. Your input will be passed to where it matters.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2230340)   #23
Rob_G
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincoln
Rob_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was on post 15 on Saturday with ma dad and post 11 WITH ma dad on Sunday. ('sigh') Both days were good racing, the mini's were brilliant as usual, great battles.. Shame about the weather on Sunday, got chilly on post 11!

Dan Overton took this on the sunday:

http://i27.tinypic.com/30u3fw4.jpg

Last edited by Rob_G; 16 Jun 2008 at 19:45.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.40GHz - Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H - OCZ 4GB DDR3 - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB - 240GB Seagate Barracuda - Logitech G25 - LG 26" LCD Monitor - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 -Sennheiser HD 205 Headphones
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2230354)   #24
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jedi green flag lap.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	19814

green flag lap for the Jedi's taken from race control by my son Robert

Click image for larger version

Name:	SG109122.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	19815
Taken from race control by Julie
Caption anybody????
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2230382)   #25
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
"new marshals huts leave a little to be desired...!"

was that a twister in that photo? ruddy hell i never saw that, being surrounded by trees on post 18, and glad i didn't!!!

Honestly don't know how to get more marshals at Cadwell, if i lived closer then i'd be there for every meeting. Fantastic circuit, fantastic people. Maybe those of us that have been should just chat to our colleagues and tell them if they haven't been to go. I'll certainly be doing that next time i'm trackside