Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 May 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1611547)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lola T70 Mk3B Coupe - SL73/148

Chris Beighton, best known for his rapid drives in the superbly turned out orange Sunbeam Tiger has acquired Lola T70 Mk 3B coupe - SL76/148 and is looking to build on the history that he has been given for it. Below is a copy of the details on a history sheet given to him with the car, along with a few extra bits I have been able to add (in blue) and Starkey (in red):-

LOLA T70 Mk 3B – SL76/148

Completed – 12/03/1969
Gearbox No. LG600-184
Engine – 304-011 Traco Chevrolet

• Sold to Picko Troberg, via Jo Bonnier
• 01/05 – Magny Cours – Troberg – 4th OA (No.92)
• 04/05 – Dijon – Troberg – 2nd OA (No. 5)
• 11/05 – Spa 1000Kms – Troberg/ B. Rothstein – 11th OA (No.34)
• 01/06 – Nurburgring 1000Kms – Troberg/Rothstein – DNS – crashed
in practice (Rothstein)
• Factory rebuild (When did the car arrive back at the works and how long did the 'rebuild' take?)
• 06/07 – Anderstorp – Troberg - 4th
• 14/07 – Magny Cours – Ronnie Peterson - 1st OA
• 27/07 – Ostereichring – Peterson – DNF
• Sold to Barrie Smith (Avalon Racing)
• 14/09 – Anderstorp – Barrie Smith – 7th
• 21/09 – Salzburgring – Smith - ?
• 27/09 – Zandvoort – Smith – DNF
• 19/10 – Hockenheim – Smith – 6th

• 11/01 – Buenos Aires 1000Kms – Smith/Ed Swart – DNF
• 18/01 – Buenos Aires 200miles – Swart - ?
• 28/03 – Thruxton G4/6 race – Smith – 4th OA
• 10/05 – Fassberg Airfield – Smith – 5th
• 21/06 – Monthlery G5/6 – Smith -14th (Starkey say's 4th)
• 28/06 – International Norisring Rennen – Smith – 9th
• 05/07 - Hockenheim Interserie – Smith 6th
• 19/07 – Magny Cours G5/6/7 – Ronnie Peterson – 5th (Starkey
says Smith was driving)

• 08/08 – Karlskoga – GP Sweden -(Smith)? – 11th
• 07/11 – Kyalami 9 Hours – Smith/Pretorious – 7th
• 13/12 – Sao Paulo – Wilson Fittipaldi – 1st
• 20/12 – Interlagos – W. Fittipaldi – 3rd

Sold to ? Farley – date/year?

• Sold to Mike Weatherill who did not use it
• Sold to Richard Bond

12/07 – Silverstone AMOC – St John Horsfall – Unicognac Trophy –
Bond – 2nd OA (No. 201 – programme says car was red)
• 5 races – Bond has 2 x 1st, 1 x 2nd (the above?), 1 x 5th, & 1 x 7th
(the wording on the history sheet coincides exactly with that in the
Starkey book, so we cannot rule out the possibility that the latter was actually used to build part of the history sheet.)

• Sold to Geoffrey Marsh (Marsh Plant Hire)
• Raced by Gerry Marshall – (Details?)

• Sold to David Piper/Richard Attwood

• 27/06 – Thruxton – Jonathan Baker – 2nd OA
• 24-25/07 – Silverstone – Baker – 2nd OA
• 07/08 – Nurburgring – Mauro Borella – 4th in class

04/08 – Silverstone – Coys – The Visage Pre’ 72 Le Mans – Chris Strakosch – 3rd OA (No.15 – car still painted red and entered by David Piper) - Now this does appear in a couple of hazy pictures I took at this event

• Sold to a French Collector
• Complete mechanical restoration which continued into 2003

• Sold to GTC

Now John Starkey's book on the T70 also details the records of this chassis, but it won't surprise you to learn that there are differences between the two. In fact Starkey actually contradicts himself on this very chassis saying one thing in the text and another in the chassis history summary at the back of his book. The first major problem occurs at the point of Rothberg's crash at Nurburgring on 1 June 1969. The car was very extensively damaged (in fact 'totally demolished' according to Starkey) and a return to the Lola works was required and everybody seems to agrees on that, but when and how long for, since this is crucial to the records for the next 3 months. According to the text in Starkey's book a new car with 'the same chassis number appeared from the factory only 6 weeks after' the crash. If we accept 6 weeks as the timescale that would make Troberg's 4th place finish at Anderstorp 'tight' to say the least. However, according to Starkey's chassis summary, the remains of the car weren't even returned to the factory for 'rebuild' until August, and then it took 6 weeks to re emerge! That would rule out not only Troberg at Anderstorp, but Ronnie Peterson's drives at Magny Cours and Ostereichring. Starkey actually does have Peterson winning at Magny Cours, but in SL73/143 (Bonnier's own car at the time)!

In fact much of the info. in both documents do agree, but there is this major discrepancy on what happened to the car between June and September 1969 (when Avalon Racing acquired it) and it is particularly pertinent to establish which car (148 or 143) Peterson was driving to win at Magny Cours on 14 July. Can anyone clarify this with any certainty?

I have yet to complete my own research on this but can anybody else fill in some of the gaps for Chris?

Last edited by John Turner; 18 May 2006 at 07:45.
Old 16 May 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1611945)   #2
ricardo1954
Rookie

ricardo1954 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Turner :

Please, see the messages below, the chassis number of Wilson Fittipaldi Jr. car is different of your information. Which information is correct?
Thank you for your attention.

Ricardo1954

4 Feb 2005, 19:16
ricardo1954
Rookie

In december of 1970, one Lola T-70 Mk 3 B ( chassis number ? ) race in the four races of the Copa Brasil , in Interlagos circuit. The driver is Wilson Fittipaldi Jr, and the results are:
Dec/06 - DNF
Dec/13 - First
Dec/22 - 3rd
Dec/27 - DNF

This car is sold to the brazilian driver Antonio Carlos Avallone, who race ten races in the year of 1971:

Jan/10 - Interlagos - First race - DNF
Jan/10 - Interlagos - Second race - 2nd
Jan/25 - Interlagos - DNF
Mar/21 - 12 H Interlagos - DNF
May/30- Tarumã (BRA) - 7th
Jun/20 - Interlagos - 4th
Jun/27 - Buenos Aires (Arg) - 5th
Aug/15 - 250 Miles of Interlagos - 3rd
Sep/07 - 500 Km Interlagos - 5th
Dec/19 - Interlagos - 4th

Then, the car is sold to other brazilian driver, Mario Antunes, who enter with this in two races, in the year of 1972:
Jun/18 - Buenos Aires (ARG) - DNS
Sep/03 - 500 Km Interlagos - the car is destroyed in practice.

Can anyone help me to know this chassis number?

Thank you.

Ricardo

4 Feb 2005, 20:32
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

According to John Starkey's book, this was SL76/153, the ex Terry Croker car, allthough the info. about Mario Antunes is not in the book. (The book actually says is was sold to africa and and crashed).

The car has since been rebuilt and raced in ISP and other events.

Jeremy Jackson

5 Feb 2005, 05:08 Lola T-70 Mk 3 B
ricardo1954
Rookie

Jeremy:

Thank you for your information.

About Mario Antunes, the brazilian magazine " Quatro Rodas " in the number 147 (october/1972), on the page 133, says that the Lola is destroyed by fire in an accident in practice for the 500 Km Interlagos. The driver is safe.

Ricardo.

5 Feb 2005, 05:15
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Thanks Ricardo, I wasn't doubting your information, sometimes things in the Starkey book can be contradictory, and incomplete in other cases.

Thanks for your information.
Old 16 May 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1611952)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is not necessarily a problem. The records I have posted show Wilson Fittipaldi in 148 at Interlagos in 1970, whereas Starkey has him in 153 at Interlagos in 1971, so both could be correct. However, equally they may both be wrong; have you noticed that the December 1970 dates are at variance for the two sets of records?

Interesting, too, that Borella appears in the history of both cars - 1993 with 148 and 1994 when he apparently, according to Starkey purchased the remains of 153.

The answer to your question Ricardo, is I don't know which is correct! I'm as much in the dark as you which is why I have posted here. I sometimes think that Starkey poses more questions than he answers!
Old 17 May 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1612450)   #4
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the owner want s to contact me I have a shot of the crashed car in the garage at the N Ring.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1612853)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting thread John. Info/photos from Barrie Smith's own site here
http://www.frenchpix.com/lolatseventy.html

Go to his homepage for info on his other cars too.
http://www.frenchpix.com/racing.html

Sure Gerry Marshall raced it in the middle east around 1980/81. There was a Dubai Grand Prix for historics around this time IIRC. Also think I saw him at Donington in it in '81.

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 17 May 2006 at 19:33.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1612883)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, thanks Andrew, I think Chris mentioned that he thought the car had been rolled by Peterson ar Zeltweg. So, if the Troberg car mentioned is 148 which it seems to be, and only the engine and gearbox survived and were put into a new chassis for Barrie Smith, and the new car was allocated the 148 chassis number, that poses a new question. Was 148 (the original one) written off by Troberg at the Nurbugring, or Peterson at Zeltweg? I therefore still have problem with the June to September 1969 period? Confused I certainly am!

Yes, Gerry Marshall is recorded as having raced it much later but I haven't yet established race dates and results.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1612900)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I could ask Gregor ( Gerry's son ), he has records of his races.
I'll give him a ring and get back to you tomorrow anyway John.
Old 17 May 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1612914)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
On reflection, there is a possibility that after Troberg's accident, the car was indeed returned to the factory quickly, repaired and returned in time for Troberg to drive at Anderstorp in early July. If the the Zeltweg race in which Peterson wrote the car off took place in early August, that could explain Starkey's refererence to it being returned to the factory in August. More delving required, I feel!
Old 17 May 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1612917)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
I could ask Gregor ( Gerry's son ), he has records of his races.
I'll give him a ring and get back to you tomorrow anyway John.
That would be great Andrew, thanks; would certainly save me having to wade through all my old mags!
Old 18 May 2006, 04:54 (Ref:1613140)   #10
barathieu gerar
Rookie

barathieu gerar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola T 70 Sl 76.148

I read somewhere that TROBERG had again the old bits of the first chassis.

no certitude about that.

thanks.
Old 18 May 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1613191)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Walker
If the owner want s to contact me I have a shot of the crashed car in the garage at the N Ring.
Thanks, Ted, I have pointed Chris to this thread, but will convey your message, anyway.
Old 18 May 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1613345)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ah, thanks Andrew, I think Chris mentioned that he thought the car had been rolled by Peterson ar Zeltweg. So, if the Troberg car mentioned is 148 which it seems to be, and only the engine and gearbox survived and were put into a new chassis for Barrie Smith, and the new car was allocated the 148 chassis number, that poses a new question. Was 148 (the original one) written off by Troberg at the Nurbugring, or Peterson at Zeltweg? I therefore still have problem with the June to September 1969 period? Confused I certainly am!

Yes, Gerry Marshall is recorded as having raced it much later but I haven't yet established race dates and results.
This would probably be one of Max Mosley's fascimile cars then! If I understand it correctly the gearbox and engine are the only original part (if they are still in it!!!!)
Old 18 May 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1613400)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Not quite the same thing, Simon, since it was rebuilt in period with a new monocoque (possibly twice!) by the Lola works, actually in the same year (1969) as its first manufacture, and whilst the model was still being manufactured. It is a genuine 1969 T70 with quite a history behind it. The problem is establishing the accuracy of that history and then adding to it!

Last edited by John Turner; 18 May 2006 at 12:12.
Old 18 May 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1613462)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that this is a classic case of the confusion that can arise - my personal view (for what its worth) is that so long as the history is continuous it doesnt matter if the car is effectively destroyed and rebuilt (would there have been a tax advantage to Lola to effectively sell a new car as a reshelled old one?). However a lot of purists might suggest that there is nothing original on that car and therefore its a fascimile - true its not a continuation model! all very confusing!!
Old 18 May 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1613561)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I think that this is a classic case of the confusion that can arise - my personal view (for what its worth) is that so long as the history is continuous it doesnt matter if the car is effectively destroyed and rebuilt (would there have been a tax advantage to Lola to effectively sell a new car as a reshelled old one?).
I agree entirely!
Old 19 May 2006, 06:32 (Ref:1613983)   #16
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree too Simon.

The problem arises when somebody gets hold of the original tub, repairs it and then builds it up as a car.
Old 19 May 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1614040)   #17
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then the problem is ,who has title to the car ????? The man with the original tub.
Old 19 May 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1614048)   #18
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would argue that the car is now split; neither owner has sole title. The person who has built up the original tub would have the most questions to answer of course...

Many people would argue that the tub is just a component of a car so you can no more build up a car from a used tub that you can from a used gearbox.

Allen
Old 23 May 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1617027)   #19
Barriebrdc
Rookie

Barriebrdc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola T70 Mk3b 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Chris Beighton, best known for his rapid drives in the superbly turned out orange Sunbeam Tiger has acquired Lola T70 Mk 3B coupe - SL76/148 and is looking to build on the history that he has been given for it. Below is a copy of the details on a history sheet given to him with the car, along with a few extra bits I have been able to add (in blue) and Starkey (in red):-

LOLA T70 Mk 3B – SL76/148

Completed – 12/03/1969
Gearbox No. LG600-184
Engine – 304-011 Traco Chevrolet

• Sold to Picko Troberg, via Jo Bonnier
• 01/05 – Magny Cours – Troberg – 4th OA (No.92)
• 04/05 – Dijon – Troberg – 2nd OA (No. 5)
• 11/05 – Spa 1000Kms – Troberg/ B. Rothstein – 11th OA (No.34)
• 01/06 – Nurburgring 1000Kms – Troberg/Rothstein – DNS – crashed
in practice (Rothstein)
• Factory rebuild (When did the car arrive back at the works and how long did the 'rebuild' take?)
• 06/07 – Anderstorp – Troberg - 4th
• 14/07 – Magny Cours – Ronnie Peterson - 1st OA
• 27/07 – Ostereichring – Peterson – DNF
• Sold to Barrie Smith (Avalon Racing)
• 14/09 – Anderstorp – Barrie Smith – 7th
• 21/09 – Salzburgring – Smith - ?
• 27/09 – Zandvoort – Smith – DNF
• 19/10 – Hockenheim – Smith – 6th

• 11/01 – Buenos Aires 1000Kms – Smith/Ed Swart – DNF
• 18/01 – Buenos Aires 200miles – Swart - ?
• 28/03 – Thruxton G4/6 race – Smith – 4th OA
• 10/05 – Fassberg Airfield – Smith – 5th
• 21/06 – Monthlery G5/6 – Smith -14th [COLOR="Red"](Starkey say's 4th

OK John here is what really Happened to 148.
I bought the car from Lola as a wreck, it was written off in Austria by my good friend Ronnie Peterson, the radius rod broke and the car was rolled several times. It would seem that there was still some monies out standing to Lola, so in order to get their money back they built me a new car , ALL NEW except the engine gearbox and the roof section which was surprisingly undamaged. The original colour was blue I ordered red so the roof was painted other new parts were self coloured from Specialised Mouldings
The engine and gear box were rebuilt.
I took delivery in time to do the Anderstorp race, I found that the other T 70's were going past me on the straight, this I later found out it was a crankshaft problem on 148/ the crank was not long enough! It was never changed so the car was never very competitive.
I won a race in Crystal Palace 1970
3rd Phoenix park after leading for most of the race the alternator stopped charging so the battery went flat.The other facts are about correct, Monthlery I was 4th. So there it is.
hope that is helpful,
BarrieBRDC

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Jan 2007 at 11:46.
Old 23 May 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1617053)   #20
Barriebrdc
Rookie

The T70/148 was shipped back from ZA in November 1970 and that was it's last raced in my ownership, it was never racing in South America that December, it was sold to a Dr. in 1971, he had donkey's in his garden and wanted the Lola for road use, a complete nutter! I think he paid about £3500 for it.
Barriebrdc
Old 24 May 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1618136)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Barrie, fantastic that you found us, and a very warm welcome! Great to get the additional info, too! Being greedy, of course, I wonder whether I can pick your brains for a bit more info?

Are you able to confirm that it was at Zeltweg that Ronnie Peterson wrote the car off, and do you know the date of that race? It seems that a car which carried chassis no. 148 was effectively written off twice in the space of 2 months or have I misinterpreted the situation. Can you provide the dates of the races at Crystal Palace and Phoenix Park, that you have mentioned?
Old 25 May 2006, 07:17 (Ref:1618411)   #22
Barriebrdc
Rookie

Hi John,
I must admit that I was unaware of the 1st crash/write off, I was told by Lola that Ronnie had crash a practically a new car, which it might well have been having just been rebuilt from the 1st shunt. It might also explain why Lola still had a load of money outstanding on the car. They would not have let the new car leave the factory unless it was paid for but a rebuild might have been different.
Anyway I bought this brand new car from Lola, (except engine gearbox) it was at a discount of about 25% (which might have covered the amount outstanding) and came with loads of spared from the crash, there were lots on undamaged parts thrown in as spares. It was Zeltweg where Ronnie crashed.

1969 the first race I did was Anderstorp which was round 2 of the Nordic challenge cup, the 1st round at Mantorp Park I did in my Chevron B8 FVA (B08-DBE68) which went very well. Anderstorp was not so good as previously mentioned. The 148 was never a quick car. It was very fast but not competitive with the other T70's.
In 1970 I drove the Sid Taylor Mk3 car with a very slow (flat tappit) engine but the chassis was fantastic, prepared by the great Ron Bennett, this was the car written off on the 1st lap of the race due to the wet conditions; wets on front grooved slicks on rear, it was undrivable, I near went off about three times on the warm up lap! (anyone got any pictures of that crash for my web site it would be appreciated)

Dates for 1970, I do not have everything carefully logged but Phoenix Park was 13-9-70 and I think the Crystal Palace race was one or two week later.
and used as a test before going to Za for the 9 hour race in Kyalami with Jackie Petorius. That race went very well, the car ran faultlessly for the whole race, we did very well there. The it was shipped back to UK.
Do you have a record of Chevron B8 chassis no and race record somewhere on this forum? or Lola T290 which I raced in 1972 for Kodak France. I did find some mention of the Lola T280 but not the 2 clitre version.
regards from,
Barrie.
http://www.frenchpix.com/barriesmithphotography

Last edited by Barriebrdc; 25 May 2006 at 07:23.
Old 25 May 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1618457)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
More great info. thanks, Barrie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriebrdc
1970, I do not have everything carefully logged but Phoenix Park was 13-9-70 and I think the Crystal Palace race was one or two week later.
I can check the CP date, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriebrdc
Do you have a record of Chevron B8 chassis no and race record somewhere on this forum?
We are working on it! Marcus Pye has promised to send me all that he has on the B6/B8 series and I would imagine that will be substantial. Look out for it in the Chassis History Archive (eventually!).
Old 28 May 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1621001)   #24
barathieu gerar
Rookie

barathieu gerar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lola t70 mk3b 148.

BARRIE,

as you said when you bought the wrecked car , the roof was blue.

is that means that the car wrecked at ZELTWEG was blue and not

yellow ?
Old 31 May 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1623606)   #25
Barriebrdc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathieu gerar
BARRIE,

as you said when you bought the wrecked car , the roof was blue.

is that means that the car wrecked at ZELTWEG was blue and not

yellow ?
Gerar, this is a mute point as when I got the car it was painted red on the roof door section, the other parts were self coloured fibre glass from Specialised Mouldings, but after a time there was evidence of blue paint where the door rubbed when shutting on the roof section! However all the pictures I have seen show the car YELLOW when crashed by Ronnie in Austria so I now realise that the roof section might have been painted twice, this might explain the colour question. Hope this helps.
Barrie