Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 May 2003, 12:33 (Ref:609418)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Challenge: Mosport

Good lord, what a pair of races!

This series really should be headlining events.

And John Young... Jesus effing Christ!
Old 25 May 2003, 12:43 (Ref:609425)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there for those races and the World Challenge was definitly the best racing of the weekend. The Trans Am was really a non-event in comparison. It was a case of the bridesmaids showing up the bride.
And John Young!!!! I know what you mean, seeing the speed that he was carrying into and through turn 8 was visually obvious. Great Racing!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 May 2003, 13:59 (Ref:609468)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Very Good Racing indeed, both series are amongst the best around. Real shame I couldn't get down there.
Old 25 May 2003, 17:08 (Ref:609642)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On TV good races, oh yeah- Anyone see the Grand Am races at Barber Park? it was actually pretty good the ugly DaytonaPrototypes put on quiete a race- how many people were spinning around there ha ha
Old 25 May 2003, 19:00 (Ref:609770)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, I caught that Grand-Am race. I've badmouthed him before, but Alan Wilson actually did a really nice job with that track, though that chicane at turn 6 still bugs me, whether it had to be there or not.

Borcheller's pass for the win was one of the ballsiest moves I've seen in years.

The DTPs wouldn't be so bad if just weren't so goddam underpowered!
Old 25 May 2003, 19:30 (Ref:609805)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I interviewed Phil McClure before the GT race and asked him who his biggest competition was and he said without even pausing to think, 'John Young!' I saw Young on the grid before the race and conveyed this to him and you should have seen the battle light come into his face. That young man can DRIVE!

Phil said the new Toyo tires that finally fit the big American Muscle Cars are the big difference this year and have energized the Corvette, Saleen and Mustang drivers and given them hope against the big factory teams, so we can expect to see lots more of this as the season progresses.

I see that there were so many cars entered at Lime Rock in the Touring Cars that they had to have a qualifying heat for the back half of the field to set up starting positions. Now if the economy is to blame for the fading IRL and Grand Am fields, why is it that the Touring Cars draw 50+ cars to a race weekend?

I am covering this series for my website and can't say enough good stuff about them. You should go to a SWC race. You should go to all their races.
Old 25 May 2003, 23:18 (Ref:609986)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, it does cost an awful lot less to run a team in SWC Touring than in most any other series, Liz. Which is just another part of the great appeal of this series.
Old 26 May 2003, 21:27 (Ref:610855)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee you are correct in stating that it is less expensive to run in World Challenge than some other series like Trans Am. However, some of the budgets by teams backed by the manufacturers are pretty high relative to most of the teams in the series. Farmer runs on a shoestring and does pretty well.

SWC is a great series and deserves more recognition.
Old 26 May 2003, 23:50 (Ref:610979)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the really good thing about Speed GT is that the winners so far have been privateers! While the factory teams get themselves sorted out, the rest of us are running away with it all!

If you want to hear about a REAL shoestring operation, have a talk with Nick Woodhouse and Associates. They have no money and this year they have two cars!
Old 27 May 2003, 01:25 (Ref:611036)   #10
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Challenge definitely gives the biggest bang for the buck. Lots of good racing, lots of VERY good drivers and some fairly reputable teams. PTG certainly is a welcome addition!
Old 27 May 2003, 06:51 (Ref:611137)   #11
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I saw the line ups for this year, I thought it would be all Champion VS PTG. Thank goodness for the new tires. The Vette and the Saleen just rocketed through the pack. McClure was taking on some real serious drivers and smokin' 'em. He was a backmarker a couple years ago.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 27 May 2003, 14:21 (Ref:611498)   #12
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both races were excellent I was there Sunday for the GT and saw the Touring on tv. These series have always produced great racing and with races like those two it can only get stronger.
Old 28 May 2003, 00:06 (Ref:611958)   #13
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and what of that beautiful new Viper?

pit
Old 28 May 2003, 00:24 (Ref:611968)   #14
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lime Rock Race

:WARNING: This post contains THREE spoilers. If you wish to see the Lime Rock races on SPEED, DO NOT SCROLL DOWN!!

Just got back from the wet wet wet wet wet wet WET Lime Rock last night. Less exciting in the rain, but it was fun. A little boring with Auberlen winning both of the GT's though. It was also pretty inevitable that Kleinubing would win _again_. Got lots of autographs, though. The Trans-Am race wasn't too exciting, either. After Said being suspended, I was glad to see someone else in 1st (Johnny Miller). Also saw Said plow into the wall during qualifying for the second GT race. And what about Paul Newman? Not too bad for the old guy. Fifth.

P.S. Yes pitviper, the Comp. Coupe was awesome looking. Too bad it didn't perform too well, though.

Last edited by RacerGuy2; 28 May 2003 at 00:25.
Old 29 May 2003, 19:04 (Ref:613979)   #15
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
just 1 of my Mosport pics
Attached Thumbnails
capture1.jpg  
Old 29 May 2003, 20:26 (Ref:614064)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pitviper
and what of that beautiful new Viper?
Who built that car? Was it a certain Toronto-based engineering firm?

David, I haven't been to the inside of turn 3 in ages. Were you credentialled for that, or are you behind the fencing?

Last edited by paul-collins; 29 May 2003 at 20:28.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 May 2003, 23:31 (Ref:614211)   #17
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Just from the fence Paul with a crappy old 35 mm camera.
Old 30 May 2003, 01:46 (Ref:614262)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be interesting to see SWC take a fling at being the headliner at an event. I nominate VIR for a trial.