Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3894471)   #51
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Stunning victory, you had to work hard for that one".

Really guys? Really? Lewis drove absolutely brilliantly, but it appears that Lewis is having to remind everyone of who was actually leading that.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3894477)   #52
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
even though Max does not have a Renault engine anymore Renaul still find ways to keep Max of the podium..............
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3894480)   #53
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Very droll
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3894482)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
"Stunning victory, you had to work hard for that one".

Really guys? Really? Lewis drove absolutely brilliantly, but it appears that Lewis is having to remind everyone of who was actually leading that.
He did have a good fight with Vettel, putting Vettel under pressure and forcing an error, so I will give that to Hamilton but a stunning victory, no.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3894483)   #55
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
even though Max does not have a Renault engine anymore Renaul still find ways to keep Max of the podium..............
Frankly, do you think he deserved that today?

Red-Bull / Honda / Verstappen was only the 5th force today.
He got 4th because Vettel made a mistake / had a problem (I don't know yet), not because he was faster or passed him.

Instead of poor Max, I think poor Charles is more appropriate today. He got something taken away that he deserved, whule Max didn't. IMO.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3894484)   #56
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deserved or not, without the Renaults breaking down, he would've been there.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3894485)   #57
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Vettel made an absolute arse of that. Would've been interesting as Lewis finished the pass off the road!

Just when you're about to give the prize for least impressive driver in a top team to Bottas, Vettel swoops in and takes it.
Are we sure yet that it was a driver error, and not some kind of problem? With the wing that fell off later, or with the tires?
He didn't lose in the kerbs or something, and he didn't touch with Hamilton either, so ... ?

We'll get confirmation later probably.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3894487)   #58
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
A very good race and glad Sky let me watch it for free.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3894490)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He did have a good fight with Vettel, putting Vettel under pressure and forcing an error, so I will give that to Hamilton but a stunning victory, no.
Oh for sure, Lewis was brilliant. Second best driver in the race. He knows he didn't earn the victory and he's the one reminding people. But that's racing, and you take what you can get.

Lewis and his personality went UP in my estimation today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Are we sure yet that it was a driver error, and not some kind of problem? With the wing that fell off later, or with the tires?
He didn't lose in the kerbs or something, and he didn't touch with Hamilton either, so ... ?

I think what happened was when he floored the throttle and lit up the rears, it took a tyre down to the canvas which introduced a vibration. The vibration shook the wing off. I think it was all his own doing.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3894492)   #60
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The SC will have been called because (I listened to the 5Live coverage) the car was not electrically safe, which requires quite a big team to attend it to make it safe to move.

I'd rather a race ends under the safety car than some unwitting recovery team gets fried, every day of the week.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3894493)   #61
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:

the wing fell off because of flat spots/vibration after the spin, and that spin was a driver error
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3894495)   #62
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The radio chatter to Hamilton after the race was warranted. It just shows how Hamilton always gives it 150 percent and there he was blowing by Vettel and picking up the pieces that Ferrari dropped. Good work.

Same goes to Bottas for picking up 2nd. Stunning.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3894497)   #63
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Oh for sure, Lewis was brilliant. Second best driver in the race. He knows he didn't earn the victory and he's the one reminding people. But that's racing, and you take what you can get.

Lewis and his personality went UP in my estimation today.

I think what happened was when he floored the throttle and lit up the rears, it took a tyre down to the canvas which introduced a vibration. The vibration shook the wing off. I think it was all his own doing.
Yep, Lewis knows he was lucky - and as I said in the DOTR thread, you have to already have been good to profit from luck. 50/50 for me.

Seb's radio call was quite instructive, there was no shouting or blaming Lewis, just a muffled growl and 'box box this time'. He knew he'd screwed up.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3894499)   #64
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Quite possible.

At this moment it's hard to tell which is cause and consequence
* spin
* tires ruined
* front wing broken

Let's see if Ferrari and/or Vettel let us know afterwards
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3894503)   #65
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Seb's radio call was quite instructive, there was no shouting or blaming Lewis, just a muffled growl and 'box box this time'. He knew he'd screwed up.
There was also something like "these tires", or "oh, my poor tires" from Vettel to his team. That was transmitted after the spin, not sure if it happened actually before or after.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3894504)   #66
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, Lewis knows he was lucky - and as I said in the DOTR thread, you have to already have been good to profit from luck. 50/50 for me.

If Vettel isn't a worried man than he damn well should be. He's making too many mistakes nowadays and Leclerc's going to make him look very silly this year. Lewis's responses to his unexpected win were typically elegant and generous. He and Charles are class acts. Vettel is not.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3894508)   #67
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
There was also something like "these tires", or "oh, my poor tires" from Vettel to his team. That was transmitted after the spin, not sure if it happened actually before or after.

he said he needed new tires because he had flatspotted all 4
Old 31 Mar 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3894518)   #68
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was great to see Hamiltons recognition of Leclerc's talent. I have disliked Ferrari for as long as i can remember but i genuinely wish Leclerc well. I would rather see him become world champion before the likes of Verstappen who is at times rather petulent.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3894521)   #69
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The SC will have been called because (I listened to the 5Live coverage) the car was not electrically safe, which requires quite a big team to attend it to make it safe to move.

I'd rather a race ends under the safety car than some unwitting recovery team gets fried, every day of the week.
Agreed. SC was the right call.

Order restored at Mercedes when Hamilton doesn’t have to race with broken car. Bottas still leads WDC but it’s only a matter of time.

Leclerc deserved the win today but Hamilton did a good job of salvaging what was left and by doing that he inherited the win.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3894522)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obizzz View Post
Agreed. SC was the right call.

Order restored at Mercedes when Hamilton doesn’t have to race with broken car. Bottas still leads WDC but it’s only a matter of time.

Leclerc deserved the win today but Hamilton did a good job of salvaging what was left and by doing that he inherited the win.
I don't think it was a case of salvaging on Hamilton's part. He out drove Vettel and got lucky with Leclerc.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3894525)   #71
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:

Thanks for the insight. I was unware why exactly the car remained stationary for so long.
I was watching RTBF/La Deux in French. It's either that or German (RTL) sadly.
The reporters said they thought the car couldn't be moved quickly because Ricciardo had not put back his steering wheel.

EDIT: They got that last part right. Ricciardo has explained he didn't put the steering wheel back for the reason Greem mentioned.

Last edited by gert; 31 Mar 2019 at 18:57.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3894530)   #72
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Quite possible.

At this moment it's hard to tell which is cause and consequence
* spin
* tires ruined
* front wing broken

Let's see if Ferrari and/or Vettel let us know afterwards
And Vettel has admitted it was his own mistake, so you guys were right all along
Old 31 Mar 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3894531)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I was unware why exactly the car remained stationary for so long.
I was watching RTBF/La Deux in French. It's either that or German (RTL) sadly.
The reporters said they thought the car couldn't be moved quickly because Ricciardo had not put back his steering wheel.

EDIT: They got that last part right. Ricciardo has explained he didn't put the steering wheel back for the reason Greem mentioned.
He was called before the Stewards for not replacing the steering wheel but explained it was too dangerous, as his car's energy recovery system alert light had gone red, meaning the car was unsafe and he didn't want to get electrocuted.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3894534)   #74
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He was called before the Stewards for not replacing the steering wheel but explained it was too dangerous, as his car's energy recovery system alert light had gone red, meaning the car was unsafe and he didn't want to get electrocuted.
Interesting. Simplistic explanation:

While the cars still have four wheels, they're pretty well insulated from the ground so if the car is live and leaking into the bodywork, the driver is actually at the same potential as the car (voltage, if you like) so nothing flows to ground and the driver is fine.

If they step from the car, or take a hand from someone standing next to the car, a circuit to ground is completed and that hurts (or they die).

If you watch the way the drivers leave cars now, they often stand ahead of the cockpit and jump as far as they can, landing on two feet where possible. This is to minimise the likelihood of electrocution - and it is also why us orange lot are taught to *never ever* offer a hand to a driver to get out of a hybrid car.

It was interesting that the R5 commentators (one of which is Jolyon Palmer) both mentioned the red 'NOT SAFE' light on the car. In Formula E this is referred to as a 'Red Car' and there's an exercise at every race weekend for that, involving large rubber mats, earth straps and a load of other kit.

Old F1 cars could blow up in your face or leak horrid fluids onto you (especially the toluene-benzene-hexane fuel mixes of the 1980s); modern cars are risky in a completely different way!
Old 31 Mar 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3894541)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is I. Pants