Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 Jul 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3919537)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Mercedes-Benz EQS - although can a car described as a 'plush new EQS electric saloon' be classed as a saloon if it has a liftback bootlid?
It won’t be the first ‘luxury saloon’ to feature a hatchback, currently the Tesla Model S comes to mind, and think the Skoda Superb is also a hatch. But perhaps the Skoda isn’t a ‘luxury car’!
Old 29 Jul 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3920271)   #77
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Audi A5?
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3920290)   #78
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Audi A5?
Comes in Coupe, Cabriolet and Hatchback (Sportback) variants in the UK.

Is not for sale in the UK as a Saloon, unsure of elsewhere though?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3920441)   #79
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In German, sedan is called Stufenhecklimousine, and hatchback is called Schräghecklimousine. So Limousine means "a normal car, you know, not a coupé, cabrio or van". It seems Mercedes-Benz translated it to saloon.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3920457)   #80
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In German, sedan is called Stufenhecklimousine, and hatchback is called Schräghecklimousine. So Limousine means "a normal car, you know, not a coupé, cabrio or van". It seems Mercedes-Benz translated it to saloon.
In English a sedan is called a saloon. So Sedan means "a saloon car, you know, not a coupe, cabrio, van or hatchback". It seems Audi translated hatchback to sportback for the A5.

Either way, the A5 is not a saloon or sedan. Or a 轿车, седан, or even a מכונית.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3935005)   #81
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé

4.53 m long
140-306 hp engines
Front or four wheel drive

Old 16 Oct 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3935046)   #82
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé
Can a car that is called a coupe, and based on a small family hatchback, also be a luxury sedan?
Old 18 Oct 2019, 04:33 (Ref:3935317)   #83
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Can a car that is called a coupe, and based on a small family hatchback, also be a luxury sedan?
A definite no from my perspective!
Old 18 Oct 2019, 05:23 (Ref:3935330)   #84
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
... and having 4 passenger doors can it be called a coupe? To me a coupe is two doors.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 05:55 (Ref:3935334)   #85
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
... and having 4 passenger doors can it be called a coupe? To me a coupe is two doors.
If I had booked a Luxury Saloon or a Coupe as a hire car, I would be more than disappointed if given what is essentially a hatchback!
Old 18 Oct 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3935366)   #86
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Yet 4 door coupes have a long history. My mind springs back immediately to the Rover P5 Coupe, but I am sure there were others too, and probably before the Rover.

Essentially, all the car needs to become a coupe is to have a roof that slopes down a bit at the rear!. Or, so it seems to me!
Old 18 Oct 2019, 09:47 (Ref:3935383)   #87
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yet 4 door coupes have a long history. My mind springs back immediately to the Rover P5 Coupe, but I am sure there were others too, and probably before the Rover.

Essentially, all the car needs to become a coupe is to have a roof that slopes down a bit at the rear!. Or, so it seems to me!
Hehehe I did not think about the Rover, but I did think about the XJ12C and always thought were fabulous..... and 2 door.

I had seen pics online of a 2 door P5, but discovered that was a conversion made for the owner of the car, then the Chairman of the P5 Club.

In fact Google just found me this, with pics and details of ADAM as the car was known .: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C505069

Last edited by E.B; 18 Oct 2019 at 09:52. Reason: Added link to show the car
Old 18 Oct 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3935413)   #88
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think that the different categories are quite clear between cars:

Q1 - Does the rear window form part of the rear opening?
No - it's a saloon
Yes - Go to Q2

Q2 - Can you access the main compartment from the rear opening by folding down the rear seats?
Yes - it's a hatchback (3 or 5 door)
No - It's a coupe (2 or 4 door)
Old 18 Oct 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3935419)   #89
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think that the different categories are quite clear between cars:

I'm sorry, I was just giving my own personal observation, not trying to give a legal definition. And anyway, who is it that decides on the definition/categories?
Old 18 Oct 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3935427)   #90
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé

4.53 m long
140-306 hp engines
Front or four wheel drive

That's an ugly car (and doesn't look like a BMW - looks like a bit like the MG6)

That front bumper is awful - what's going on with bumper design at the moment? They all seem overly fussy, lots of wierd angular shapes - there must be a reason for that? (The Civic is also guilty of this). Also the way the A-pillar meets the wing looks all wrong (but that's down to the bonnet being all off as well). The whole front end of that thing is all over the place.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3935518)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I'm sorry, I was just giving my own personal observation, not trying to give a legal definition. And anyway, who is it that decides on the definition/categories?
I don't disagree - my own ideas are just an opinion too.

Who decides on the categories - I'm not sure? Car makers themselves obviously give names that suggest categories, but they may not make much sense at times!

An example of the range of categories (as defined by some official bodies) can be found at - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cl...lassifications
Old 16 Jun 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3982331)   #92
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Lexus IS

Not to be sold in Europe

2.0L and 3.5L turbo gasoline engines

Old 26 Jun 2020, 06:15 (Ref:3983921)   #93
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
2020 Audi S3 - (hatchback variant is also available).

'As with the outgoing car, the S3 will adopt a set of quad exhaust pipes housed in a diffuser-style rear bumper, bespoke performance alloy wheels, larger brake discs and slightly extended wheel arches for a sportier stance. Bespoke badging at the front and rear, not featured on these prototypes, will also likely feature. '
Old 26 Jun 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3984037)   #94
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
That front end just has too many lines.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3999657)   #95
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Mercedes-Benz S-Class

6, 8 and 12 cylinder engines

The S580e will have a 28 kWh battery.

The S63e AMG and S73e AMG are to be revealed.

Old 15 Sep 2020, 16:17 (Ref:4002624)   #96
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Rolls-Royce Ghost

5.55 m long

6.75L V12 twin-turbo gasoline engine
8-speed automatic gearbox
All-wheel drive

Old 18 Nov 2020, 07:52 (Ref:4017604)   #97
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It might be stretching it to call it a 'luxury' car, but this seems to be the only thread for saloon cars.

New 2022 Honda Civic prototype revealed in saloon form

Honda has revealed the next-generation Civic for the first time, showcasing a prototype of the saloon variant that will go on sale in the United States next year.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 11:53 (Ref:4017644)   #98
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nice looking car.

I assume Europe gets only the hatchback.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 13:53 (Ref:4017675)   #99
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Nice looking car.

I assume Europe gets only the hatchback.
Autocar report that the saloon will not be available in the UK. (UK buyers tend to avoid smaller saloons in the main anyway over hatchback alternatives).

They are also reporting that the Type R and Si will be coming to the UK, with these having Hybrid powertrains. (Honda have previously committed to all European models being electrified by 2022).
Old 18 Nov 2020, 14:08 (Ref:4017677)   #100
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Autocar report that the saloon will not be available in the UK.
Probably the same here in the Netherlands and rest of Europe, or at least the western part.