Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4085854)   #46
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
It's mutual, Andy - on the odd occasions when we got Caterhams mixed in with Future Classics - years ago when I was in the 944 Turbo - it was unnerving to have them appear from nowhere on "impossible" cornering lines....had to adjust the mirrors down to ensure we could see them appear

This is exactly the reason why, during an open test session at Brands on a Saturday afternoon back in the mid 60s, a future F1 WDC who was testing an F2, told me off for parking in such an effing stupid place.

I had been pottering around, minding my own business whilst running in my newly built engine and testing one or two other things, and driving along the pits' straight I checked in my mirrors to make sure I was free to take the racing line into Paddock and saw nothing.

To my surprise after beginning to drive up the rise to Druids tight on the left hand side of the track, I could hear what sounded like a screaming engine to my left and out popped in front of me, having had to take to the grass, was said F2.

I was mortified about what had just happened and extremely sorry about what I had done, but his words were actually said with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes and we had a really long chat in the paddock after the end of the session. And remained on good terms for many years to come.
Old 29 Nov 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4085859)   #47
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
It's mutual, Andy - on the odd occasions when we got Caterhams mixed in with Future Classics - years ago when I was in the 944 Turbo - it was unnerving to have them appear from nowhere on "impossible" cornering lines....had to adjust the mirrors down to ensure we could see them appear
I remember my first time out in my (now gone) ex works Toyota at Silverstone - I entered the Open race for the first time and it was chucking it down, proper biblical conditions. I had qualified ok but was overtaken by a ball of spray (several Caterhams) 3/4 down the Wellington straight, and as I braked for the left hander at the end of the straight, a Caterham appeared out of the ball of spray, having spun, and I had a brown trouser moment as I took avoiding action. I voluntarily retired from the race next time round, deciding it was too dangerous to continue. If I had T-boned the Caterham, the consequences don’t bear thinking about.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4086029)   #48
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Bernie is rejuvenating his V8s & has a good calendar:
I am seeing separate FB feeds for a “sports racing and V8s” series, which I assume is the 750mc series renamed; does this mean that Bernie has split away with a separate, new, series?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 18:52 (Ref:4086041)   #49
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See Group C is back at Donington for the Historic Festival courtesy of DH Rofgo.

Great to see a race in the UK after some time.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 23:06 (Ref:4086073)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
See Group C is back at Donington for the Historic Festival courtesy of DH Rofgo.

Great to see a race in the UK after some time.
That will be good, hopefully they can get a decent grid again.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4086078)   #51
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That will be good, hopefully they can get a decent grid again.
Reading the press release it states it will be the greatest line up of pure C1 Cars since 1992 with some impressive drivers and cars already to be announced soon!

Celebrating 40 years of Group and 30 years since the WSC last ran at Donington.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 07:38 (Ref:4086092)   #52
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I am seeing separate FB feeds for a “sports racing and V8s” series, which I assume is the 750mc series renamed; does this mean that Bernie has split away with a separate, new, series?
Although the SR & V8s still has a page on 750MC’s list of championships, it isn’t listed on their 2022 calendar: https://www.750mc.co.uk/calendar.htm
Old 1 Dec 2021, 07:46 (Ref:4086094)   #53
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Although the SR & V8s still has a page on 750MC’s list of championships, it isn’t listed on their 2022 calendar: https://www.750mc.co.uk/calendar.htm
Hmmm, interesting, as they have revamped their FB page very recently and have a new logo and have announced a calendar of races.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4086180)   #54
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hmmm, interesting, as they have revamped their FB page very recently and have a new logo and have announced a calendar of races.
That calendar shares some dates with CSCC and others with the new Bernie's series (with both being at American Speedfest in June): https://www.sportsracingv8s.com/

Clearly now two standalone series broken away from 750MC, albeit both operating alongside other clubs and each other. Splitters!
Old 1 Dec 2021, 18:26 (Ref:4086181)   #55
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you the Judean Peoples Front?

D
Old 2 Dec 2021, 10:40 (Ref:4086238)   #56
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Are you the Judean Peoples Front?

D
**** off He's the Peoples front of Judea!