Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Sep 2021, 20:17 (Ref:4072979)   #26
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Well Mike Bushell has just posted a photo of a BTCC Cupra with his name in the back window. Testing or is someone 'stepping down'?
Aren't they banned from doing extra test days? Especially when there's still races to go at Brands (or can they get away with it as it's a different layout)
Old 10 Sep 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4072983)   #27
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think teams have 4 in season test days available to them to use at tracks they have already raced at so brands Indy is fine to use
Old 10 Sep 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4072987)   #28
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Well Mike Bushell has just posted a photo of a BTCC Cupra with his name in the back window. Testing or is someone 'stepping down'?
Testing. He and Goff were both out for Team HARD at Brands today.
Old 10 Sep 2021, 21:46 (Ref:4072990)   #29
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Is it really a Team HARD entry if there isn't a revolving door of drivers each weekend? More drivers have been fielded by that team than Dynamics and WSR combined!
But they have more cars than Dynamics and WSR combined... so that was always going to happen.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 07:38 (Ref:4074010)   #30
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No word on whether Neate is back as planned? Interestingly Ricky Collard was offered the chance to stand in for him before Rivett did a deal. Given Ricky's lack of FWD experience, probably wise move.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 07:42 (Ref:4074013)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
No word on whether Neate is back as planned? Interestingly Ricky Collard was offered the chance to stand in for him before Rivett did a deal. Given Ricky's lack of FWD experience, probably wise move.
I hear Rivett mention that Andy is feeling better and expected to be back.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 11:53 (Ref:4074065)   #32
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I hear Rivett mention that Andy is feeling better and expected to be back.
Neate was testing at Brands on Friday and talking of being back
Old 15 Sep 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4074072)   #33
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I don't get the fuss about FWD/RWD experience. Turkington & Jackson had none in 2007 and scored 3 podiums between them on the first weekend.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4074117)   #34
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't get the fuss about FWD/RWD experience.
A driver going from FWD to RWD usually has experience to draw on. The other way around is not so common.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 21:09 (Ref:4074135)   #35
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The vast majority of drivers on the BTCC grid had more FWD experience than RWD when they graduated, unless you want to count karts as RWD, which technically they are but are of little relevance.
Old 15 Sep 2021, 23:32 (Ref:4074148)   #36
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I switched from all my racing historically being RWD, to a season of FWD this year. And I can comfortably confirm changing your head and natural reactions to dealing with the instability of a car on the edge isnt an easy thing to do.

First time out in a new car id built and I spun it at Oulton because my instincts were to save it like I would a RWD car, instead of planting the throttle.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 06:06 (Ref:4074171)   #37
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I'm so disappointed you didn't mention the return of the knowledgeable Croft crowd.
That'd be the gazebo erecting hordes who appear once a year, leaving a sea of litter in their wake?
Old 16 Sep 2021, 09:29 (Ref:4074186)   #38
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The vast majority of drivers on the BTCC grid had more FWD experience than RWD when they graduated, unless you want to count karts as RWD, which technically they are but are of little relevance.
Then the reverse applies. Whichever way you want to look at it most drivers will have far more experience in one over the other. However the original post was about a driver who has been driving RWD for all of his career not anyone on the current grid.

It took me two seasons to get fully confident with FWD after seven with RWD. Now that I've been racing FWD for longer I daresay I wouldn't be up to speed with RWD straight away although I would hope it wouldn't take two seasons.

At the end of the day switching between the two is far from trivial if you want to be at the front end of any decent series.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 10:31 (Ref:4074192)   #39
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I drove a Clio Cup and a BMW M2 Cup on the same day, no problem adjusting for me.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 11:59 (Ref:4074200)   #40
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
I switched from all my racing historically being RWD, to a season of FWD this year. And I can comfortably confirm changing your head and natural reactions to dealing with the instability of a car on the edge isnt an easy thing to do.

First time out in a new car id built and I spun it at Oulton because my instincts were to save it like I would a RWD car, instead of planting the throttle.
A friend had the reverse problem - having rallied FWD for years he switched to RWD. Struggled early on as the front tyres weren't heating up as quickly as he was used to and if the back end stepped out then planting the throttle wasn't a good idea! It takes a change in mindset and seat time to adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I drove a Clio Cup and a BMW M2 Cup on the same day, no problem adjusting for me.
That just suggests you weren't trying hard enough
Old 16 Sep 2021, 14:09 (Ref:4074217)   #41
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
A friend had the reverse problem - having rallied FWD for years he switched to RWD. Struggled early on as the front tyres weren't heating up as quickly as he was used to and if the back end stepped out then planting the throttle wasn't a good idea! It takes a change in mindset and seat time to adjust.

That just suggests you weren't trying hard enough
Haha, the sideways slides would suggest otherwise I finished 2nd out of 18 in the Clio.

The thing is whilst there is a very different technique in FWD and RWD, there are similarities. To an extent you can have the rear of a FWD car dancing around, indeed on turn in and mid corner its actually desireable. When braking in a Clio, the rear does tug and twitch, placing the power results in almost no understeer, its fantastically neutral. RWD driving is pretty much as RWD always is so there is less to explain.
Old 18 Sep 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4074468)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qualifying LIVE: Saturday 18 September
ITV.com/BTCC from 1445

Raceday LIVE: Sunday 19 September
ITV4 & ITV4 HD 1135-1830
ITV4 +1 1235-1930
ITV.com/BTCC 1135-1830

Highlights: Wednesday 22 September
ITV 2340-0055 (STV TBC)
ITV+1 0040-0155 (STV TBC)
Old 18 Sep 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4074479)   #43
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Sam Smelt has looked very good in practice. Let's hope he can get a good result in qualifying.
Old 18 Sep 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4074485)   #44
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guess Tingram can kiss his title hopes goodbye , he qualified just 21st...
Old 18 Sep 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4074489)   #45
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
2021 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship – Qualifying – Croft

1 Aiden MOFFAT (GBR)?Laser Tools Racing ?1:22.037s
2 Jake HILL (GBR)?MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue Square +0.040s
3 Colin TURKINGTON (GBR)?Team BMW?+0.122s
4 Senna PROCTOR(GBR)?BTC Racing?+0.132s
5 Adam MORGAN (GBR)?Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport?+0.149s
6 Tom OLIPHANT (GBR)?Team BMW?+0.153s
7 Josh COOK (GBR)?BTC Racing?+0.177s
8 Ashley SUTTON (GBR)?Laser Tools Racing +0.260s
9 Daniel ROWBOTTOM (GBR)?Halfords Racing with Cataclean +0.293s
10 Jason PLATO (GBR)?Adrian Flux with Power Maxed Racing?+0.376s
11 Ollie JACKSON (GBR)?MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue Square +0.401s
12 Stephen JELLEY (GBR)?Team BMW?+0.465s
13 Chris SMILEY (GBR)?Ginsters EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com +0.506s
14 Daniel LLOYD (GBR)?Adrian Flux with Power Maxed Racing +0.508s
15 Tom CHILTON (GBR) Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport +0.536s
16 Jack GOFF (GBR)?Team HARD. with Autobrite Direct?+0.566s
17 Gordon SHEDDEN (GBR)?Halfords Racing with Cataclean?+0.592s
18 Sam SMELT (GBR)?Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?+0.618s
19 Sam OSBORNE (GBR)?Racing with Wera & Photon Group?+0.636s
20 Carl BOARDLEY (GBR)?Laser Tools Racing?+0.697s
21 Tom INGRAM (GBR)?Ginsters EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com +0.809s
22 Árón TAYLOR-SMITH (IRL)?Team HARD. with HUB Financial Solutions?+0.957s
23 Jade EDWARDS (GBR)?PHSC with BTC Racing?+1.182s
24 Jack MITCHELL (GBR) Team HARD. with Autobrite Direct?+1.239
25 Jack BUTEL (GBR)?EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com?+1.282s
26 Andy NEATE (GBR)?Racing with Wera & Photon Group?+1.913s
27 Nick HALSTEAD (GBR)?EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com?+2.956s
28 Nicolas HAMILTON (GBR)?ROKiT Racing with iQuoto Online Trading +5.223s
29 Rory BUTCHER (GBR)?Toyota Gazoo Racing UK NO TIME

Great pole from Aiden Moffat, looking like a driver transformed compared to last season. Jake Hill and Colin Turkington strong too, perhaps they are Sutton's greatest title threats as Ingram has struggled recently. Real shame for Shedden, Ingram and Butcher, but at least we get to see an exciting fightback tomorrow from the three of them.
Old 18 Sep 2021, 15:45 (Ref:4074490)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well done Moffat, amazing to think this is his first official pole in the BTCC. Also good to see Hill on the front row, can he finally get a win this year? Turkington looking good in third

Really great lap by Rowbo at the end, to salvage a top ten position after that smokey problem. His team mate Flash never really got it together. Bad luck for Butcher and disastrous session from Tingram, can he salvage anything from tomorrow’s races? Then again he came up from the back in R1 last year to win R3 in the Toyota, so there’s hope for him and Butcher too
Old 18 Sep 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4074492)   #47
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
guess Tingram can kiss his title hopes goodbye , he qualified just 21st...
Yes - because history tells us that you will never score points if you qualify low down.

(Except Croft 2020, where Ingram started R1 in 26th place and scored 37pts.
Turkington got 16pts after qualifying 3rd and Sutton scored 24pts after qualifying 6th.
Compared to last season, Ingram is actually in a better position going into R1)
Old 18 Sep 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4074497)   #48
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
First trip to a BTCC meeting for four years - usually I'm tied up with other events .

Impressions - surprisingly quick, but they still make a godawful noise.

Some classy driving , and from various viewpoints Hill impressed me the most, and by some margin.

I do wish Croft would dispense with that absurd bunch of tyres on the crown of the outside kerb at the chicane. As a regular I have seen countless collisions with it , and I shudder at the risk of a single seater , especially , hitting it. It took its usual toll in mangled bodywork today. There must be a safer alternative .

Some yellow flag guys need to be faster off the mark.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 10:51 (Ref:4074630)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Be interesting to see what the weather does. Will the rain come down hard enough? Or will it be that nightmare scenario where it’s somewhere in between?
Old 19 Sep 2021, 11:37 (Ref:4074634)   #50
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and again BTC make Dynamics look stupid