Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:55 (Ref:493343)   #1
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be More Like Michael

WilliamsF1's chief operations engineer Sam Michael wants to see his drivers Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher take a leaf out of World Champion Michael Schumacher's book.

"It is amazing what difference a driver can make to a team in terms of motivation," Michael said at yesterday's launch of the Williams FW25. "And hat's the difference between our drivers and Michael," he added according to British tabloid The Sun.

"You hear stories of Michael phoning up Ferrari's sporting director Jean Todt at 10pm to find out what springs Luca Badoer had on the car because he had been looking at the test data back home," he added. "Our guys just do not do that. But it is so tight at the front now you have to do it.

"If a driver is informed enough to make his contribution like Michael, it makes a difference," he continued. "They have to step up to the mark and have a close look at how they do that. They have improved but they need to take a quantum leap. You can't just sit back and say it's all down to the designers to get the fastest out of the car."

Michael Schumacher's brother was quick to hit back: "I'd be very surprised if Michael rings anyone up at 10pm when he is at home," said the World Champion's brother.

"Anyway, if I ring Frank or Sam at that time, they are usually in bed!"

Juan Pablo was even more direct: "Michael wins because he has the car to win, and we don't," said the Colombian.

"I do not understand all this about Michael," he added. "If we had his car, we could win the championship. You hear it every five minutes that you need to do the things the way Michael does it because Michael wins."

I thought this was rather interesting! Sam seems to be telling his drivers to quit putting it all down to the new FW25 - Maybe because it just wont be good enough?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:05 (Ref:493351)   #2
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like the world is out of real role models.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:12 (Ref:493356)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I wouldn't pick a guy who gets paid extortionate amounts of money to race round in circles as my role model.

Michael has a point, however - when you're paying someone extortionate amounts of money to race round in circles, you'd expect them to do it to the best of their abilities.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:33 (Ref:493376)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Williams team gets a fair amount of work for their money from their two drivers. Juan and Ralf combined earn about 1/3 what Schu does.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:41 (Ref:493380)   #5
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I bet there aren't many people on these forums who wouldn't do it for a lot less.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:45 (Ref:493383)   #6
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But I bet there aren't many people on these forums who wouldn't do it for a lot less.
I'd charge more, because I am THAT GOOD.

Er, wait...back to reality.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:58 (Ref:493386)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Sam is just winding the Williams drivers up. Williams seem to be publicly telling their drivers they are not as good as the champ. OK, this may be true, but there are better ways to encourage anyone rather than telling them they are not good enough.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:48 (Ref:493403)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funnny thing..people..you all are actually ignoring something constructive being said about Ralf/JPM?

Every now and then, we have somebody who really KNOWS about F1's way of working (ie not mere armchair forum posters), and when they say something, we brush it off?

Indeed, i agree "Williams team gets a fair amount of work for their money from their two drivers"...But if the drivers only put in as much effort as they are paid..i'd be disappointed.

What Sam said is significant in the sense that it puts down many people's theory that drivers (on the whole) no longer makes a difference in modern F1 and brush off Michael's achievements just down to the car. He "made" the car THAT good, and Sam says, "our guys just don't make that much effort".

It's not a criticism. It's definitely not bashing. Anyway, if that quote from Ralf and especially JPM, is true, i'd be disappointed with the attitude they show.

Sure, given the Ferrari they'd win the WDC (provided you put Michael in a Minardi in the meantime), BUT the thing is...They don't deserve the Ferrari because they did NOT contribute to creating it. Michael did, Rubens did. They did it together with their team.

PS. We hear things should be done the way Michael does because it is that that makes him successful. Turning a blind eye to your weaknesses will NEVER make you improve. Note that JPM
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:49 (Ref:493404)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like he's telling them in a roundabout way to concentrate more on their jobs (and careers)than fighting on track
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:00 (Ref:493412)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
While the Anti-Schumachers will be quick to discredit this or find fault with it, but Sam Michaels has an excellent point. Whether this should have been a public observation is another matter.

A driver can make a huge difference to a team, and Michael is the best example of that. Of course he would'nt have won the championship in a Minardi, and last year the F12002 would most likely have defeated all before them if someone else was driving. But why?

Why is it that the driver that drove to victory so easily last year is still the fittest, most professional, dedicated and hardest working driver out there? Coincidence? I think not.

The Williams drivers (as with the McLarens) had it in their heads very early the F12002 was unbeatable. They were right. But can anyone tell me that had Michael been sitting in a white or silver car that this championship (and many of the races would not have been much closer?

Michael has a 'never give up' attitude. This was demonstrated best in his first year at Ferrari. It was never on par with the Williams, but that never stopped his progress.

Juan and Ralf should take a leaf out of Michaels book. To say 'whats the point' because that red car is too fast is a defeatist attitude. Get off your ass and do something about it!

The question they should ask themselves "Am I doing everything possible to improve my chances for winning?" The answer for these 2 (as with everyone) is no. What else could I do? I'm guessing Michael's list is shorter than these 2.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:22 (Ref:493422)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair to JPM, he did praise the Williams for not being that bad.And he did put in effort to push performance out of his cars at races.

Thing is, they should know that drivers nowadays are not just Sunday-racers or test-track drivers. Its a process that doesn't switch off when you pass the finishing line on Sunday..(provided the car finishes). Engineers/aerodynamists/designers work 24/7, and driver's contribution shouldn't be significantly less (considering they are paid a lot more than the average mechanics).

To Ralf/JPM: There's a difference in that Ferrari could close the huge gap in 98 to Mclaren, why Williams can't in 02 to Ferrari? There's a chinese saying "Good advices are bitter to the ear"... don't brush it off...learn from it.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:33 (Ref:493428)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Sam Michael wants JPM and Ralf punting their opponents off the track during a championship race?

Ok, I'm sorry, it was just too damn hard to resist!

But I actually concur with what Wrex said, well, most of it anyway.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:40 (Ref:493432)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Reading Sam, you'd hear that he stressed it is in terms of motivating the team and contributing to the car's developement. He din't tell the drivers to learn EVERYTHING

It's what JPM try to exaggerate "You hear it every five minutes that you need to do the things the way Michael does it because Michael wins."

But you are forgiven to be cheeky
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:47 (Ref:493435)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Schumacher and Michael Doohan are very much alike in this. Despite 5 world championships Doohan was the ultimate professional. His fitness and work ethic were higher than anyone else. I wonder why these 2 share 10 world championships between them?

Coke spend more on advertising than any other drink company, despite holding the lions share of the market. Why, because to stay number one you must continue the methods that got you there.

If I was a Formula 1 driver, I would be looking to the guy thats dominating at the moment and following as much of it as possible.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 03:51 (Ref:493471)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Sam Michael may have an excellent point, but there are certain criticisms that he should not share with the press. That is just counter productive as it then evokes a negative response, which in this case came from both drivers. So nothing is achieved by criticising his drivers in public. It is true that the Williams/Michelin package was not as good as the Ferrari. It is also true that given the F2002, JPM would have thrashed SchM last year in the same car, no need to throw a red herring about a Minardi here.
Better to sit down with them, have a look at tapes of how SchM qualifies as well as races, and see if his charges can improve their performance by learning something from his driving style, tactics, or whatever.
In my many years in the Engineering profession, I have never seen anyone improve their performance through negative criticism. In fact, the Public Service in HK came out with guidelines for annual appraisals to concentrate on positive encouragement on how staff can improve their performance.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:09 (Ref:493480)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
It is also true that given the F2002, JPM would have thrashed SchM last year in the same car, no need to throw a red herring about a Minardi here.
I don't agree.

Monty would have won, as would about 15 or so of the other drivers. But had Michael been in the Williams, it would have been much much closer.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:27 (Ref:493490)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I don't think so. There are only about 4 drivers who can beat SchM in equal equipment: JPM, Jacques, perhaps DC and Kimi on occasion. I can't think of another 11 who could.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:28 (Ref:493492)   #18
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holy ****... I would have thought this kind of dedication at this level of the sport was a given? Damn... what are these drivers doing? I'd be trying to do that sort of thing at Minardi if I could. Considering the driver is the one that's operating the damn thing the driver should have as close and regular input into the car as designers.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:31 (Ref:493493)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
There are team bosses who don't like listening to their drivers. Patrick Head initially refused to set up the car to suit Jacques.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:34 (Ref:493496)   #20
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sam Michael may have an excellent point, but there are certain criticisms that he should not share with the press.
I don't think he should share ANY criticisms with the press, for the reasons you mentioned, VB.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 10:10 (Ref:493642)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You give JPM the F1-2002 and Barrichello will trash him 9 times out of 10, for the mere fact that he knows the car better than JPM.

Anyway. Each driver is given the car that he deserves. If "Michael wins because he has the car to win, and we don't" that's a clear sign that both drivers should quickly consider a change in their attitude.

So, please someone corrects me if my perception is wrong: Juan and Ralf love each other. BMW and Williams don't blame eachother. Now Williams chiefs praise their drivers every day and both drivers praise the engineers work.

Lots of low blows in that article Mania such as "Anyway, if I ring Frank or Sam at that time, they are usually in bed!", "If we had his car..[but we don't]", etc.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 10:38 (Ref:493657)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Matter of opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
You give JPM the F1-2002 and Barrichello will trash him 9 times out of 10, for the mere fact that he knows the car better than JPM.

Anyway. Each driver is given the car that he deserves. If "Michael wins because he has the car to win, and we don't" that's a clear sign that both drivers should quickly consider a change in their attitude.

Red, you have your views and I have mine, and never the twain shall meet.

Old 2 Feb 2003, 10:48 (Ref:493667)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I guess we have to live with that thought!

Anyway, my view (and will never change) is that the only thing that a driver deserves is his salary. Not a winning car. It's either a pure Drivers' championship and in that case the driver should win in the car that he builds with his own hands or is Formula 1. And in that case a team builds a car and they chose their drivers according to whatever reasons they might find appropriate to achieve success. Actually is more than that, the driver and the engineers should closely work together to achieve a mutual goal.

In any case a driver is NOT entitled to criticise his engineers. Neither are the teams principals by the way. If any of them should have a word with the other, they keep it in private. Under no circumstances that should make newspaper's headlines.

(but my view is better than yours )

Last edited by Red; 2 Feb 2003 at 10:48.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 11:51 (Ref:493707)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I don't think so. There are only about 4 drivers who can beat SchM in equal equipment: JPM, Jacques, perhaps DC and Kimi on occasion. I can't think of another 11 who could.
What about Ralf?
Frentzen, Heidfeld?
Possibly Fisichella and Trulli?
Massa and Sato in a few years?
Do we actually know how fast Rubens really is?
Do we really know Button is not up to the task?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 11:51 (Ref:493708)   #25
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its all about putting more commitment in than the next guy. Its a big part of Senna's success, its a big part of Schumachers success. Ralf and JPM simply seem less commitement, which is only illustrated by their own words saying the only need the best car to win. Clearly not understanding that their fullest commitement is needed to build that supercar. Its the diffrence between being active involved in the creation of a car, of being passively involved.