Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2 Mar 2014, 23:35 (Ref:3374175)   #25
Chipwizard
Rookie

Chipwizard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
I plugged an AiM Evo4 into my Marelli system which improved it massively. Think you'll find a similar outcome with the D5 and PDU-10.
I'd given up on the idea of using the SRT to run the motor early on because it won't do gearchanges (I wrongly assumed it would) and I already had a Life F88 that does, the F88 also already has traction and logging etc, both of which would have needed to be enabled on the SRT.

I had thus demoted to SRT to 'input module duties' to send chassis data to the DDU dash/logger over CAN, (the Life can also send engine and traction info over CAN in a fully configurable format so will work with pretty much anything) and the DDU dash has plenty of logging capacity at 128 MByte so that was the config I was going for before finally giving up on the Marelli stuff.

I need plenty of channels to log all I can on the chassis/aero side because I need to make up for a very big horsepower shortage wherever I can.

Strain gauges, damper travel, multi-channel IR tyre temps over CAN, speed on each corner, laser ride height at both ends, various temps, air speed, 3-axis G etc etc... I need a logger with plenty of capability and there's no doubt that the Marelli stuff has it. However, I just can't waste any more of my life trying to make the Marelli stuff even function on a simple scale, let alone get it to work with everything I want to use it for.

When I started down this road Life Racing hadn't released their D5 dash/logger. I did look at Aim stuff but it just doesn't have enough channels or memory for what I want to do at the rates I want to log. Now that Life have released their D5 dash it fits all my needs, has some truly brilliant ideas for PDU management without needing to plug the laptop in, the Life software is brilliantly simple, intuitive to use (you don't even need a user manual- it's so common-sense), and it will communicate perfectly with my ECU of course on CAN-2 (set aside for Life products) which leaves CAN-1 free to send configurable CAN info to other devices such as a Smarty-Cam etc if I want to.

If only Marelli hadn't kept everything I need to know secret from the world, not replied to emails, not offered user manuals and tech information online for anyone to download and see how good their products could be, if only anyone could actually work with them. Or perhaps have downloadable ready-made basic configs for their products so that you at least have SOMETHING to start with as a basis.... Online tutorials, videos on YouTube... God knows there are a million ways to make things easy these days so why not do?

I hope the SYSMA software works, if it ever actually gets released....