Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 Jan 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3495957)   #51
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Kubica ( please not Bobby K) drive at anything less than 'flat out'? I wish he could, he doesn't seem to be able to complete an event without a serious 'off'. I'm sure there is a WRC rally winning driver in there; he has to reign it in.

I actually think he's so fast that he can't drive slow; certainly not slow enough for rallying. Maybe he needs to return to circuits, if for his own safety. I always feel he's bound to have another big off. You can't keep driving like that, and get away with it.

As for Loeb & Meeke; unlucky really - this is the Monte, these things can happen. Though I do think the Citroen isn't a particularly strong car; I've seen heavier impacts, and cars get away with it. The VW especially.
Old 24 Jan 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3495986)   #52
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Are you in the UK Adamcas87? There was an article about UK TV coverage on the WRC site yesterday:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/janua...1--12-12-.html

Highlight program for today's action on BT Sport 1 in about two minutes (more shows on BT Sports over the course of the weekend).

Highlight program for today's action on Motors at half 10 tonight (more shows on Motors over the course of the weekend).

Highlights of the whole rally on ITV4 on Tuesday.

Short highlight videos posted on the WRC site throughout each rally.
I don't have bt sports but will be watching the ITV4 highlights on Tuesday

Thank you for that
Old 24 Jan 2015, 18:32 (Ref:3496017)   #53
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Can Kubica ( please not Bobby K) drive at anything less than 'flat out'? I wish he could, he doesn't seem to be able to complete an event without a serious 'off'. I'm sure there is a WRC rally winning driver in there; he has to reign it in.

I actually think he's so fast that he can't drive slow; certainly not slow enough for rallying. Maybe he needs to return to circuits, if for his own safety. I always feel he's bound to have another big off. You can't keep driving like that, and get away with it.

As for Loeb & Meeke; unlucky really - this is the Monte, these things can happen. Though I do think the Citroen isn't a particularly strong car; I've seen heavier impacts, and cars get away with it. The VW especially.
Totally agree re Kubica. He seems to be driving flat, flat out all the time and that's where he's getting some stunning pace from, but it doesn't win you events or score you points or (fingers crossed this is never an issue for him again) keep you safe. And I have this unease about Kubica - that he's always close to having a big, big accident, that he's driving the car like he's playing on a PlayStation.

The VWs are awesome. They're fast and seem so much stronger than the Ford or Citroen. And because they're the best, most successful team with the be car and the most money they get the best drivers and with all due respect to Meeke, Ostberg, Sordo and co, they're not on the Ogier or Latvala level. It's no wonder so many events start off with some good pace from a Citroen or Ford then gradually turn into VW demo runs really.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3497044)   #54
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
I don't have bt sports but will be watching the ITV4 highlights on Tuesday

Thank you for that
No worries. If you want to keep track of things while the rallies are going on then check out these two You Tube channels:

You Tube - WRC Official Channel
You Tube - Best of Rally Live

Both post regular update videos throughout each rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
Totally agree re Kubica. He seems to be driving flat, flat out all the time and that's where he's getting some stunning pace from, but it doesn't win you events or score you points or (fingers crossed this is never an issue for him again) keep you safe. And I have this unease about Kubica - that he's always close to having a big, big accident, that he's driving the car like he's playing on a PlayStation.
Absolutely blistering pace from Kubica following his restart (the onboard clip from SS10 is ridiculous), but such pace can only end one way...

...apparently the brake pedal went to the floor at the end of SS14.

Four fastest stage times and three accidents: an average weekend for Kubica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
The VWs are awesome. They're fast and seem so much stronger than the Ford or Citroen. And because they're the best, most successful team with the be car and the most money they get the best drivers and with all due respect to Meeke, Ostberg, Sordo and co, they're not on the Ogier or Latvala level. It's no wonder so many events start off with some good pace from a Citroen or Ford then gradually turn into VW demo runs really.
A few years ago I thought the Citroen's seemed to be invunerable (or at least lucky), but the Polo's seem to be bulletproof. From the onboard with Loeb it didn't look that hard a hit, but I guess it only takes a small impact in the wrong place and that's it.

Nice to see Meeke claw something back from the weekend with fastest time on the power stage. Great drive from Breen as well with second in WRC2.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3497097)   #55
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Absolutely blistering pace from Kubica following his restart (the onboard clip from SS10 is ridiculous), but such pace can only end one way...

...apparently the brake pedal went to the floor at the end of SS14.

Four fastest stage times and three accidents: an average weekend for Kubica!
Here a tutorial how to fix the rear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaG2PIUmA0U

Old 26 Jan 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3497531)   #56
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree about Kubica, the guys clearly got the pace just doesn't seem to be able to go anything other than beyond flat out. I always think the Monte is more of a survival test as the conditions are so tricky and changeable. I think a lot of drivers just try and get through this one rather than go for it. Even just trying to get through though they get caught out. To an extent Sweden is similar. Some drivers don't really show their true pace until they get to round 3 and the gravel of South America.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 13:11 (Ref:3499446)   #57
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I would love to see the clip but I can't find it on that video sharing website. Does anybody have a link?

It seems now that the official WRC website offers onaboards via the WRC+ thing, onboards are quite thin on the ground compared to previous years.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3504509)   #58
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well Sweden is underway and now the 'proper' stages have started Ogier is showing the way again. There seems to be plenty of snow about this year so the stages look to be pretty good (although they have mentioned a thaw that may effect the amount of snow).
Old 13 Feb 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3504527)   #59
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well Sweden is underway and now the 'proper' stages have started Ogier is showing the way again. There seems to be plenty of snow about this year so the stages look to be pretty good (although they have mentioned a thaw that may effect the amount of snow).
Yeah, a VW top three (headed by Ogier) isn't what I was hoping for. It's early days though, so fingers crossed there is some drama further into the rally.

Hope Meeke can close in from the fringes of the top 6, he was on it during testing:

http://youtu.be/2mDDq97tmzk
Old 13 Feb 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3504531)   #60
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Latvala has cut the gap to Ogier so it's tight at the front, Meeke dropped some time earlier with a spin - otherwise he'd be a bit further up the order.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3504555)   #61
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
And Meeke loses more time in a snow bank

Ogier drops time though after a problem with his wipers - and forgetting to put his bonnet pins back in he's human after all
Old 13 Feb 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3504560)   #62
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
And Meeke loses more time in a snow bank
Bugger, that puts him over 3 and a half minutes back now. At least Evans is still in the top 6.

Quote:
Ogier drops time though after a problem with his wipers - and forgetting to put his bonnet pins back in he's human after all
Nah, I think that's just clever programming to make him look human. That's closed things up at the front: 1 second between 1st and 2nd!
Old 13 Feb 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3504564)   #63
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Bugger, that puts him over 3 and a half minutes back now. At least Evans is still in the top 6.
Not any more - Evans stuck in a snow bank bad day for the Brits.

Quote:
Nah, I think that's just clever programming to make him look human. That's closed things up at the front: 1 second between 1st and 2nd!
It's closed up nicely but you have to take your hat off to him really - has those problems and is still in the lead! Latvala needs to take advantage of this and try and build a lead.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3504576)   #64
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Not any more - Evans stuck in a snow bank bad day for the Brits.
I'm going to stop post optimistic comments: every time I do someone parks in a snow bank!

Problems for Kubica in SS7 and SS8? Agreed with regards to Latvala, looks like Ogier is starting to pull away again though.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3504605)   #65
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I'm going to stop post optimistic comments: every time I do someone parks in a snow bank!
Even without your comments Latvala has stuck it in a snowbank! 9 minutes down the tubes getting the car out.

Ogier in trouble too though by the looks of it - he's down to 4th!
Old 15 Feb 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3505187)   #66
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Ogier in trouble too though by the looks of it - he's down to 4th!
Thought the win might go elsewhere, but a hell of a push from Ogier to claim it back. Shame Mikkelsen threw it away on the last stage, but I hope that's not the last time we see him challenging for wins (especially as Latvala made contact with the scenery yet again).

Great drive from Neuville as well, nice to see the i20's up front, shame the Citroen's were so far back.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 19:00 (Ref:3505222)   #67
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I didn't see any of the coverage from yesterday (busy rallying at Goodwood but todays action looked good Neuville got another good result (and I see he also set a new distance record for the jump at Colins Crest 44 metres ) but the Ogier / VW combination just had too much for the others. Latvala disappointing again, he still hasn't shaken off the crashing side of his driving - he really should have got a handle on it by now (will he ever?)
Old 15 Feb 2015, 22:06 (Ref:3505289)   #68
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easy to be wise after the event, but even after his brief off on Friday, I didn't think Ogier was out of it.
Mikkelsen could and really should have sewn it up - but a costly spin yesterday gave both Neuville & Ogier a sniff.
So going into the final stage only 3 & 4.6 sec ahead of Ogier & Neuville was always going to be tricky. And after throwing a few IRC wins away when under pressure I wasn't confident he'd do it.
Helluva performance from Ogier - but sadly for Mikkelsen, he made a mistake - and lost his first win.
However, he can take comfort from the fact that even Ogier did the same; led in Rally NZ in 2010, spun 2 corners from the end, and lost to Latvala. Came out and won the next event in Portugal, under pressure from Loeb.

The next round in Mexico sees the first dry, dusty gravel event; those later runners have a great opportunity to get a win.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 22:11 (Ref:3505294)   #69
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
The next round in Mexico sees the first dry, dusty gravel event; those later runners have a great opportunity to get a win.
Good point - road position could be crucial next time out but it's hard to look beyond one of the two leading VW's for the win. Good to see Neuville sniffing about in the top spots again - will the Hyundai be as competitive on the loose and will the Citroens be back in the frame? The Fiestas look to be a bit off the pace but that could just be that the drivers aren't as good?
Old 16 Feb 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3505397)   #70
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Latvala disappointing again, he still hasn't shaken off the crashing side of his driving - he really should have got a handle on it by now (will he ever?)
I have my doubts. He seems to have phases when he shakes it off, before reverting to form again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck
Easy to be wise after the event, but even after his brief off on Friday, I didn't think Ogier was out of it.
Mikkelsen could and really should have sewn it up - but a costly spin yesterday gave both Neuville & Ogier a sniff.
So going into the final stage only 3 & 4.6 sec ahead of Ogier & Neuville was always going to be tricky. And after throwing a few IRC wins away when under pressure I wasn't confident he'd do it.
Helluva performance from Ogier - but sadly for Mikkelsen, he made a mistake - and lost his first win.
However, he can take comfort from the fact that even Ogier did the same; led in Rally NZ in 2010, spun 2 corners from the end, and lost to Latvala. Came out and won the next event in Portugal, under pressure from Loeb.
Great point with regards to Ogier in 2010. I've said it before, but I must confess I'm almost willing Ogier to go off in the early stages of a rally: his driving when he has a deficit to make up is invariably spectacular.

Quote:
The Fiestas look to be a bit off the pace but that could just be that the drivers aren't as good?
I had my doubts on the Fiesta for a while, but I'm now of the opinion its down to the drivers. Kubica has proven that the Fiesta can be a stage winner; admittedly he is driving at 110% when he is getting these results, but to me it proves that the Fiesta does have the pace in the right hands.

Both Tanak and Evans did finish in the top 6 at least, but neither were challenging for the podium, were they? I really hope Kubica finds a way to turn himself down from 11, but somehow I can't see that happening...
Old 16 Feb 2015, 11:01 (Ref:3505419)   #71
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little harsh on both Evans and Tanak, they are both new, with not a huge amount of experience and are both doing OK in my view.

Kubica crashes, Meeke crashes, Ostberg is only goon on loose surface as is Latvala really.

The bright spots are Neuville, thast's about it.

If Evans and Tanank were miles off the pace and low end top 10 all the time I would be worried but they are not, they are about where Fords usually are.

People seem to ignore the fact that that VW has seconds a click on everything, for Gods sake Mikkelsen is a championship contender, you really think Evans and Tanank wouldnt be in that car too?
Old 16 Feb 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3505438)   #72
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
A little harsh on both Evans and Tanak, they are both new, with not a huge amount of experience and are both doing OK in my view.
Sorry, I should have elaborated on that point in my previous post. My comment wasn't a dig specifically aimed at Evans and/or Tanak (though, reading my post back, I can see it comes across that way). I just don't think the Fiesta has had the same calibre of driver at the wheel in the last couple of years as the VW's and, to a lesser extent, the Citroens and Hyundai's have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
People seem to ignore the fact that that VW has seconds a click on everything, for Gods sake Mikkelsen is a championship contender, you really think Evans and Tanank wouldnt be in that car too?
I daresay they might be quicker, but Championship contenders? Not sure I'd go that far. Perhaps the car is helping, but Mikkelsen is more experienced (and has had more consistent seat time in the same chassis) than either Tanak or Evans. Personally I think that counts for more, but thats just my opinion!
Old 16 Feb 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3505458)   #73
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I just don't think the Fiesta has had the same calibre of driver at the wheel in the last couple of years as the VW's and, to a lesser extent, the Citroens and Hyundai's have.
The trouble is that without the Ford money they can't afford a top flight driver - they get the young promising drivers who gain experience with the Fiesta and then jump ship when they start to deliver on that promise.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 23:13 (Ref:3505607)   #74
cg7aa
Veteran

I'm hopeful that Tanak will pull off a surprise this year and get a win. He is very quick, once he gets used to the car and he is unleashed, he might pose a serious challenge especially when road order comes into play. I think he was held back/backed off in Sweden to collect manufacturer points after some problems earlier on.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3505623)   #75
cg7aa
Veteran

I felt for Andreas I have to say, he was competitive on snow last year too if I recall correctly. I was hoping this year would be his year. Problem now is, he risks being seen as only able to challenge Ogier on snow only and firmly number 3 VW driver everywhere else in terms of speed.

I look forward to Ogier's funny sarcasm about road sweeping in Mexico.

Incidentally, I feel the Motors TV daily highlights production or perhaps the correct word is presentation took a step back in Sweden for day 1 at least. It was unwatched in my opinion. You barely saw the cars it seems, far too many interviews. Days 2 and 3 were better I think. If it continues I'll just avoid the daily highlights shows and wait for the ITV4 highlights program on the Tuesday after instead. It' fars so better; probably because they've had the time to edit the thing without rushing it. I dislike their trailing ahead before the advert breaks but hey ho, can't have it all. It's what it is.

Last edited by cg7aa; 17 Feb 2015 at 00:04.