Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Nov 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2339144)   #1
aerial
Rookie

United Kingdom
aerial should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DAVID BLAKELY, HRG & BRDC

I am after some information and hope that the forum can help.
Many years ago a copy of the BRDC Silver Jubilee Book of 1952 came into my posession. Inside the cover is the name BLAKELY in blue ink. At that time David Blakely was an up and coming racing driver driving amongst other things an HRG. Although famous as a driver Blakely is better known as the person murdered by Ruth Ellis, the last female murderer to hang in Britain. The murder took place in 1955 and is still subject to controvesy.
Obviously this has become a fascination with me because circumstantial evidence points to the likelyhood that the book was once owned by David. Either evidence that the book, a numbered copy, was sent out to David or a copy of his writing to compare with the name in the book could confirm one way or another if this book belonged to David.
So my question is, has anyone on the forum any memorabilia from David Blakely with his writing on it who could provide me with a digital scan?
Can anyone help?
Old 23 Nov 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2340241)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd speak to the BRDC and see if they can help. James Beckett would probably have been your best bet but I think he's now left. Stuart Pringle is probably the best place to start. They have a pretty good archive I believe.

Happy hunting! Will you let us know how you get on?
Old 23 Nov 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2340279)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James has indeed left,would suggest Duncan Rabliaggati may be another to ask.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2340404)   #4
aerial
Rookie

United Kingdom
aerial should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice. I will indeed let you know what I discover. Isn't it amazing how something like this gets curiosity roused.
Jim
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2340568)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not just curiosity Jim,I have had to do quite a lot of research on the Bluebell-Gibbs car in an effort to obtain HTPs for it.Good luck with your search.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2340570)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where has James gone?
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2340571)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I've no idea.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2340576)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
very nice guy - full of enthusiasm. I hope that he stays in the industry